the quintessential 2013 "do we REALLY need one of these" superdraft thread!

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Jun 25, 2012.

1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so a local forward from stanford, a left back that was converted from forward at Oregon State, a hot headed irishman for right back/mid depth from UCSB, and bringing in a local cal guy for central defensive depth. we'll see what happens but i think we covered all bases with this draft as far as getting bodies in positions we need. now we see if theyre good enough.

Jahn can learn from some of the best in the business with Lenny and Gordon being a 6'3 target forward.

Mitchell sounds a tad raw but an interesting prospect given the position switch, and at 6'0 thats good size for him

McGlynn well, i didnt know about the ref thing, but he is a body at right back who probably fell for that very reason. hopefully they can help the cause

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe we are looking at Jahn as a centerback too, i dont know?

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were one of the bottom seeds in the NCAA tournament and lost a bunch of games in the first half of the season to weak opponents... one of the few 8-loss teams make the tourney. Delgado is still quality. I saw a USD player post on a friend's facebook page that they had a bunch of injuries early in the season that led to the losing streak.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno I wasn't really impressed with Jahn when I saw him play. Maybe he could pull a Burling but I don't see him making our roster.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    perhaps, one thing is for sure us draftniks know by now. Outside of the first round Frank is alllllll about west coast talent. I wonder if he gives the east coast its due diligence as well when it comes to scouting? becuase we are awwwfully west coast heavy.

Honestly, if one of the sup. guys makes the roster, gravy. Im especially looking at the McGlynn and Mitchell. we need right and left back draft and if they pan out as a backup option we are one draft year ahead of schedule; because those are the two depth spots i was looking at come 2014.

6. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, how many developmental forwards are we going to carry. I would imagine it's one...Diaz Pizzaro or Jahn. We can afford one spot for a player that doesn't play this year, but that they think will come good in a year or two. With Lenhart, Gordon, Wondo, Tracy and Fucito who all should get minutes, I don't think we have roster space for 2 additional dev players at forward.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats exactly right, and thats how i read it. we are already stacked up top. If he has any chance of making this team, its at central defense where there is an open vacancy. Hes supposedly slow as hell though so thats a strike against him. Again, we know these guys fell for a reason, no realistic person expects a supp pick to make the roster. its more a pleasant surprise. the outside back guys have a realistic chance, but its not a shoe in either, we cut Kiffe without thinking twice last year and he was a left back. hopefully they can be useful depth though, id love a pleasant surprise there.

8. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, in 2012 he drafted an Ohio State player in the 3rd supplemental round, in 2011 he drafted Ampaipitakwong in the 2nd round and a Notre Dame player in the Supplemental, in 2010 both Morrow and Michael Thomas were drafted from Notre Dame.

9. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his odds are much better if he is also looked at as a central defender. Hard to see a forward making the roster, has to beat out someone already on the roster.

QuietType repped this.
  10. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice haul from the Supplemental Draft. I'm excited to see if Jahn will be molded by Lenhart/Gordon. Sounds promising, especially being a former USMNT U-20. Also, sounds like a Sacramento (Carmichael) native.

Anyone down there in the bay area catch any Stanford soccer games? See Jahn in action?

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah when I saw Jahn I thought he was a great target player. Not all that fast but he was a goal poacher so I'm glad the Quakes got him. I believe the pics will all be out there for training today.

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, two second rounders Ryan Hollingshead and Paolo Del Piccolo (20th & 27th picks respectively) are already out of MLS. So much for the SUPERDRAFT!

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teams are starting to make their cuts now, and the only position im looking for is left back. And Philadelphia just cut pretty much all of their draft picks, and one was a pretty highly rated left back in Damani Richards. Highly rated Eric Schoenle was also cut. Im not completely convinced of Suggs, maybe we can bring him in for a late look?

15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm pretty sure they hold his rights until the draft for next year.

16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow schoenle got cut? that's pretty crazy considering how highly rated he was by the east coast media. I never really saw much of him so can't say either way.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is reed thin. Not surprised he failed to catch on in his first try.