"The private sector is doing fine" - Obama, 6/8/12

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by appoo, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But "Obama is bad for the economy" and besides, according to Ann Romney, "it's our turn," so we're going to give the supply-side trickle-down thing another try starting next January.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Excuse me do you actually think unemploymrnt now is only at around 8 percent?

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It did work so well the other umpteen times we've tried it in the last 3 decades...

4. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    excuse me, but when do you think this recession began?

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why search for facts and figures if you just can post assertions with attitude?

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

Nonfarm payroll employment changed little in May (+69,000), and the unemployment rate was essentially unchanged at 8.2 percent, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in health care, transportation and warehousing, and wholesale trade but declined in construction. Employment was little changed in most other major industries.

6. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If the economy is so good then Obama is a lock to get re-elected. If it really isn't then he will get locked out of the White House. Let's wait an see time will tell.

7. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think his point was that actual unemployment is probably higher than that because the 8% doesn't consider the long-term unemployed. people who have given up trying to find work and aren't receiving unemployment benefits.

nicklaino repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Off course we are 4 months away from elections but read the thread in the Elections subforum..

Basically Obama is winning by landslide based on the latest polls.. Something like 340+ Electoral Votes vs. 200 for R-Money...

Let's ask "Billionaires for R-Money" to throw another billion dollars at it to see if it affects the outcome...

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hey just noticed your from Colombia. I used to work for Flota Mercante GranColombiana Steam ship lines a thousand years ago. That was fun work I made a lot of money there. I wonder if they are still in business those were the start of the good old days. We used to play football at their Pier 3

10. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah the polls say Barry is going to win by a land slide. So no need to vote my man :)

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that they folded as with manny government or mixed companies, thanks to the Free Trade Agreements of the 1990s.. I'm from Bogota, so not familiar with Pier 3 (I'm guessing Barranquilla?). There's plenty of Colombians from Cartagena or Barranquilla in the Colombian Forums that might even know who you are....

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'll do my part. I'll vote and donate a little money and time.

13. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You know it's funny I don't personally know one billionaire. I have no billionaire friends and yet I want the party of billionaires to win and beat Barry. I bet you green money Barry knows and gets major money from billionaires. He loves billionaires he gives billions to his investor friends who are billionaires. What's that about?

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Billonaires don't want to be friends with you m'boy... They just want you to vote for the politicians that favor them. And then clean after they party.

Of course after the Citizens United decision you can't track who makes donations to whom, but if we can go back to previous election cycles, usually fewer billonaires supported democrats and most of Barry's coffer from las election came from small donations.

15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No the US port they shipped from and to in new York was in Brooklyn pier 3. Things went south when they found coke in cases welded below the water line to one of their steam ships. Like in the movie French connection 2.

16. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Me too I just donated to Romney.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

How many billions...? :ROFLMAO:

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

How many billions...? :ROFLMAO:

I missed that movie... Loved the first one....

Hardly the first (or last) incident of that class involving a Colombian company....​

19. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, but that's always been the way unemployment is calculated. So at least the number is being underestimated uniformly so you can make comparisons from one time period to another.

20. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just a thousand. Your right rich people usually don't want to deal with me.

I was going to start another soccer club with someone who I thought was a friend of mine. He was a player in Poland and own travel agencies and some apartment buildings here in NYC.

Just before the club started he bailed out. The club name was the Firebirds I did it for two years after that because I did not want to disappoint the players.

21. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will cast my protest vote for someone who has no chance of winning.

23. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Then how about voting for me then?

24. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might consider it if you're on the ballot.

25. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, the economy sucks, and Obama is the president, but I won't be voting against him for that reason. Maybe some will, but recent polls suggest that some of the American sheeple are starting to understand that whomever is elected will have little to impact on the economy.

I'm not sure that they understand Congress, laws, regulations, and international policy and monetary issues are behind our economic problems, but at least they aren't buying that a person who stripped down companies and sold them for parts, who promises tax cuts for the really really rich at the expense of everyone else doesn't have all the answers.