The Perfect Storm II

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by cleansheetbsc, Oct 25, 2012.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was PG that took the brunt of long power outages, Montgomery County can afford better maintenance :)
    We just had utility guys out at the property late last week taking down trees next to power lines and they cut the tops of a ton of trees along back where our power comes from toward the west, so still likely to lose power, but probably not for as long. I was cussing them a bit last week for me being able to see too much sun on the road out, but suddenly I am more appreciative of their cutting :)

2. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Pepco will air ads patting themselves on the back for having the power back before Christmas.

3. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Underground power lines are the way to go.:p :cool:

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    True. But the issue is that doing it by neighborhood by neighborhood won't solve problems since you still have above ground lines going to your neighborhood. From WaPo:

The consultants analyzed three major options: burying virtually all power lines, burying only major distribution lines, and undergrounding both distribution lines and neighborhood feeders.

For $1.1 billion, the study found, primary distribution lines could be buried, eliminating 65 percent of customer outages related to overhead lines. At about double that cost, primary and secondary lines could be placed underground, cutting 87 percent of overhead outages. Burying all overhead lines, including household service lines, would cost $5.8 billion and could prevent more than 1,000 annual outage incidents.

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Case in point: Montgomery Village. All our lines are buried, but we still rely on above-ground feeder lines elsewhere.

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I live in DC and my power has never gone out because of a storm.:geek:

7. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I'm running in the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend and will welcome the cool weather.

8. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rainfall prediction.

Lower Delaware is supposed to get drenched. Since it is the stronghold of the Tea Party in the state, I hope to hear plenty of folks refusing FEMA aid on principle. It's also where all the retirees come because of low taxes and proximity to the beach. I don't want to hear any complaining from them either.

9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Silver Spring? Rockville?

I am near College Park. Lost only two days with the duratio in July. Hopefully we don't get hit too hard.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    It is the trees hovering over power lines that are the cause of the problem in the DC area. I hate hearing the politicians talking about fining the utility companies when they have done little to resolve this issue. No one wants the power outage but that duratio was something else. I was at my mom's house that night and saw the outdoor furniture flying off hitting her car. The utility companies had their people working 18 hour shifts in incredible heat to fix things up. There is only so much that can be done.

11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Utilities have the responsibility of of trimming trees around power lines.

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    And the municipalities are the ones that allow trees to be planted near those lines. It not the responsibility of the utilities alone. The politicians cannot use the blame game.

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yikes. However, my earlier post needs updating regarding the house we own in SW PA is no longer ours. We had a closing scheduled for today, then it was tentatively scheduled for today, then it was sort of tentatively scheduled for next Friday, and then it was back on for today. Our realtor tells us it's done.

That being said, I hope the new owner doesn't get water in the basement like we did our first month from Frances and Ivan. That map, however, says "Yikes! Indeed," to that statement.

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'm not a lawyer but the utilities have in effect an easement to run those line within a public right-of-way. Its a limited ownership right which doesn't mean that the property owner, in this case the municipality has to take steps to prevent the possibility of damage to the lines. Of course the property owner can't do anything that definitely will cause damage to utilities. That's why you have to check an area before you dig.

15. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The problem is there has been little planning concerning the planting of trees along utility poles. There are roads along Northeast Washington where the roots of these trees are ripping the sidewalks and even the roads. Then there is shock that a bad storm has uprooted these trees. I have no use for politicians that get on the air or papers and cry foul against the utility companies when they have done nothing to resolve the problem. They are just as responsible if not more.

16. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    An easement shouldn't restrict someones use of property and if it is in the public interest to have trees in the right-of-way they should be there. If I was to call out anyone in addition to the utilities it would be those who complain about tree-trimming and blackouts.

17. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not to be flippant, but what happens to underground power lines in the event of an earthquake?
    I would think it's still easier to fix downed power lines above ground, than severed power lines under ground, where you may have gas leaks/fires to contend with as well. no?

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interestingly, I just checked the long range Accuweather forecast, and they still have less than an inch on tuesday and wednesday for the places I routinely check.

19. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Suerte! :thumbsup:

20. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    They won't start ramping it out until they start getting more sure in a day or two.

NOAA is still just showing chance of rain for us.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That is my problem with the politicians who use the media to complain and make the utility companies the bad guys. It does nothing but frustrate their constituents. When these storms come through, they create a lot of damage. This is nothing new. Yet, instead of looking at solutions to alleviate the problem, we get nothing but hot air. I know PEPCO has done a lot of tree trimming in the DC area. But the local municipalities must also take responsibility to manage trees and how they are planted as well.

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    In effect the utilities are being given permission to encroaching on public space. That's burden enough. There is no reason that the landowner needs to take additional steps to accommodate the utility. If you don't like trees in public right-of-ways just say that rather than insist that trees on public land should be cut back and maintained by the public to the benefit of a private enterprise. Besides there is good reason to suspect that PEPCO is negligent with maintenance in this area. I live in an area of Annapolis with old trees & overhead lines & I thought I'd have outages all of the time. I've had none during the major storms and only one that lasted for an hour when I wasn't at home.
    Of course I'm served by BG&E not PEPCO.

23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falc: more trees = higher property values

24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The property owners are the local municipalities or the county. It is not whether I like the trees or not, it is about taking responsibility in managing those trees. The ones in my back yard are my responsibility and I got hit pretty bad with a microburst during the 2006 WC semifinal between Italy and Germany. I was at my sister's place in South Carolina and my next door neighbor called me. He told me the house was OK and not to worry about it. Luckily, the damaged trunks fell all in my back yard. It was a mess but the damage was limited. I also have two trees on the county strip in front of my house. One of those trees were damaged. A few weeks ago, a limb from that tree broke off and laid on top of my power line. PEPCO took care of it after I called them. As I wrote before, there are trees throughout the area that not only cause problems if they get uprooted but whose roots damage the sidewalks and roads. I don't care for politicians who ignore these trees and they cry foul when they go down. They are part of the problem too.

25. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    There is a difference. If a utility gets an easement to put a utility across your property (and your permission is not required) are you going to maintain trees on your property at your expense in a way that benefits them?
    A simplistic way to sum this up. Utilities are being done a favor being allowed to run utilities across someone else's land. They are pushing their favor if they say that the landowner has to maintain the trees to benefit the trespasser (not literal).