PBP: The Other MLS Teams' Paraphernalia Thread: Now Legal in Two States

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...until someone showed him the money. That's always going to win.

2. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is some crack team investigating right there. How on earth did they find that out?

While I'm sympathetic to the fact Orlando officials and the teams owners might feel slighted, anyone doing just a cursory digging into the league already knows the rules change all the time and different expansion teams come in under different conditions.

4. CBusAlex

CBusAlex Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is mostly just sour grapes from one commissioner who voted against the stadium in the first place. He's also conveniently ignoring the fact that Atlanta's stadium, although not soccer-only, will be designed and built with soccer in mind, whereas the Citrus bowl

a) was not
    b) would cost more to renovate into a soccer stadium than to build a new one from scratch, and
    c) is a huge piece of shit, and will remain so no matter what they do to it.

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still think that it's bullshit and Garber has become a total money whore over all sense of principles.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he's figured out that a soccer specific stadium isn't as necessary to success as we previously calculated. See: Seattle, Portland, Vancouver.

Placid Casual and Lucky Day repped this.
  7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That triumvirate was success waiting to be tapped based upon the rivalry... and I don't think anyone could have predicted Seattle blowing up as much as it did.

8. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To be fair-no small part of pushing Miami & Atlanta is to give Orlando regional rivals. And, to expand the footprint of MLS into the SE. The history between the clubs isn't as rich, and history (of fan support in these cities) doesn't tell us that this will be a slam dunk.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  9. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    1. Garber isn't calling the shots at that level the owners are telling him what they want and he does his best to make it happen.

2. I couldn't care less about the southern three; MLS was always going to go Atlanta and Miami, Orlando is a bit of a wildcard but fine. Plastic turf is not fine that's the part that I don't like about sharing stadiums with football teams.

3. The part that I still don't like about the New York expansion is how northeast centric the thinking is. I really don't think the rest of the country is captivated by city rivalries like HQ thinks they are. Meanwhile there are teams growing the sport at the grass roots level, building stadiums, and drawing decent crowds in other cities and they're being snubbed.

4. I really hate that they are northeast centric but aren't doing anything about the New England/Boston problem. If Kraft doesn't give a shit about his team find a new owner and get them in Boston. No it won't be easy but how many people did the league have working on the New York deal. Oh well at least they took out Chivas, of course they have to stay in LA and play second fiddle to the Galaxy until they have their one good season out of fifteen and all the front running glory hounds switch allegiances like all the "Clippers" fans are doing now.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  10. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I though Portland has one?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We did have a Phoenix FC near my home in eastern PA--played there once or twice. Guess they are playing on the bird theme.

14. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Wait... a small stink was made about the "Welcome to MLS" picture but one of the top voted names is "Atlanta Blaze"?

While I get it, I don't think the marketing & business folks are really going to go for the "Atlanta Phoenix" name. Too much chance for brand confusion.

15. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Atlanta Phoenix is perfect though. The only thing more perfect is the Atlanta Phoenix Winnipeg Quebec's. That way, they're already pre-made to be relocated to any of the usual suspects.

stanger, Kryptonite and NUFC Fan repped this.
  16. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    No it's a multi use stadium that has been renovated and upgraded a bunch of times to suit soccer. It was originally used for baseball. And it's field turf.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The city seal of the City of Atlanta might answer a few questions:

[​IMG]

Draghignazzo and General Disarray repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not ideal to have the NFL co-share, but if they can make the sight lines work as well as make it "seem" full on TV (such as in Seattle, not New England) and if it's the same owner, there really isn't much need to make the guy pay for another stadium which would almost surely compete with some events...and we know that intra-city competition between arenas isn't always the best thing (see: Columbus.)

And this owner has promised no NFL markings. At least he seems more honest than your local Qataris.

19. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    So we make a joke about their city burning down, they cry about it, then they vote on a team name that symbolizes rising from the ashes to be reborn.

This should be fun.

Robbo Crewfan and Draghignazzo repped this.
  20. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just out of curiosity, did anyone actually from Atlanta cry about it, or was it a bunch of tsk-tsking from the likes of Olbermann et al?

21. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Houston 1861, anyone?

22. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    I think it was a bunch of jerkoffs from University of Texas.

23. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Got a lot of feedback on Twitter before Olbermann even chimed in, who knows where they were from.

24. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe it's just an Atlanta call-back to the Gold Club.