PBP: The Other MLS Teams' Paraphernalia Thread: Now Legal in Two States

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by KCbus, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham's just waiting for his hovering Delorian.

2. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Philly trades Jack Mac for Andrew Wenger. Interesting.

3. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't realize the Portland v Seattle match was the early game this week. Just watched the 21 minute condensed match on MLS Live (via VPN). Wow, what a game. 8 goal thriller with 3 or 4 spectacular goals.

4. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Seen a couple reports that the ATL is going to get an expansion team and play in the new Falcons stadium on field turf. Makes me hate Garber and MLS even more.....

5. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be atrocious. After years of a focus on SSS, e would be seeing a trend back to plastic and the NFL. Not what this league needs, even if the larger stadium does allow Bandwagon FC to sell 30k+ tickets a match.

6. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS hates Columbus Women.
    http://www.mlsgear.com/67809.html

Columbus Crew Women's Decision V-Neck T-Shirt
    Always supporting the Colorado Rapids. Represent your favorite MLS club in this super soft T-shirt from adidas. Colorado Rapids graphics screened down the left side. 50/37/13 cotton/polyester/rayon.

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a quote from today's Dogpatch that I enjoyed....

Robbo Crewfan and DhamphirLoki repped this.
  8. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FootyRef repped this.
  9. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, Atlanta is getting the 22nd MLS team in 2017 sharing the new Falcons stadium.

10. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber is hoping for Seattle 2.0, but he's more likely to get Gillette 2.0 instead. Very stupid move. Let's hope it's not another one of these plastic pitches. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll move Chivas there.

11. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference between Gillette 1.0 and Gillette 2.0 is roughly $80-100 million franchise fee. I think they're willing to take a chance that they can be successful with that kind of bank deposit.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the salient point here is that the Atlanta Falcons VP of sucking up like a Hoover is Jim Smith, the man who did his best to destroy the Columbus Crew.

One has to suppose that when Falcons owner Arthur Blank is looking for MLS expertise there's no question at all that he'll look to the member of his management team who was previously the President and GM of an MLS club .

Which means that the new Atlanta team will be set up and run with lots and lots of input from a compete piece of shit who hates soccer and who almost single handedly trashed one of the 10 original teams.

[​IMG]

Hi! Remember me? I'm a complete douchebag. I hate soccer. I hate soccer fans. I particularly hate supporters groups.

One does not know whether to laugh or cry.

puttputtfc and Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laugh. It's not us.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll be in our conference with DC and TFC.

Life is good.

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  15. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm with you, he did a lot of bad things regarding the true supporters of the team, but I think some of the "almost single-handily trashed one of the original 10 teams" thing is overblown. I mean we did lose WAY less money under Smith than Roots and it wasn't really even close. I'm glad we got rid of him because it allowed our team's supporter culture to thrive, but he was much better in a business sense than McCullers/Roots ever were.

16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    We also had a shiny new toy where we controlled more revenue streams. The fact is that Rootes (not Roots) was a soccer guy. He loved the game, the city, the fans and it showed. He deserves some credit for getting CCS built but left for an NFL gig. (Texans?) Rootes is the kind of guy the league should still be looking to hire while Smith is the prime example of MLS as a corporation not a sports league.

17. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Give me a professional league thats not a corporation? Barclays Premier League?-Ha, NBA- Hardly, MLB, Nope, NFL---HA HA HA. Possibly NCAA Football and Basketball. Possibly.

18. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Leagues exist for one reason and one reason only, to make money. Yep, even NCAA sports. Who do you think all the March Madness and BCS Bowl games money goes to? Certainly not the players that make these events popular.

19. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    NCAA don't even have to pay the players. Someone must be making a ton of money.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's only partly true. The scholarships given, which do include room and board, have some value.

21. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Yes, costs passed on to the actual people that are at university to learn.

22. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any of you turn into Jay Bilas and start saying these players need to be paid then its gonna be a long day around here......

NUFC Fan and CybrSlydr repped this.
  23. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Nah, the NFL need to come up with their own bush league system and then we can scrap "professional" college sports feeder system.

(where is the stoking the fire emoticon?) :whistling:

Robbo Crewfan and NUFC Fan repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they are not. The athletic departments are financially separate from the academic part (at least at the big schools (i.e. Division I) that give athletic scholarships). The athletic departments pay for the scholarships. It's a common misconception. Though capital budgets sometimes do partly pay for athletic facilities--as they can be used for other things of use to a community (convocations and entertainment for example).

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Altough I would like to take your "It's a common misconception" at face value, I would also prefer to have proof of that statement please.
    Also - "costs" could also mean they miss classes and grades because athletes get preferential scheduling and tutors. If grading on a curve it always means someone is losing out...