The other African championships

Discussion in 'Africa' started by napolisoccer, Jan 19, 2013.

1. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beyond the Africa Cup, I know that there are other important regional championships in Africa. I think that the most important is the CECAFA Cup, but what is the actual situation of these other championships ( WAFU Cup, Amilcar Cabral Cup, COSAFA Cup and CEMAC Cup ) ?

2. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt any of these regional tournaments would be going on at the same time as the Nations Cup.

3. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No, of course... But these tournaments are still alive ?

4. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    I think a lot of the regional tournaments are going by the wayside. African countries are constantly busy with either World Cup Qualifying or African Cup of Nations qualifying - there just isn't time to also have a regional tournament too.

Plus a lot of teams are strapped for cash, and Africa is a very large continent, so it's not like they can easily afford to travel. Senegal and Gambia withdrew from the last WAFU Cup (that was actually held) because it was hosted in Nigeria, way too far away for them to go for such an "unimportant" competition.

5. Blue Lou

Blue Lou Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Only COSAFA is still active. www.cosafa,com

6. kamikaze70

kamikaze70 Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Gor Mahia
    CECAFA is still alive and is the oldest existing African tournament. I think it goes back to the 1930s when it was called the Gossage cup

http://www.cecafafootball.org/

7. kamikaze70

kamikaze70 Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Gor Mahia
  8. mastermoo

mastermoo Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    i think the CHAN a step is the right direction for improving domestic football in the continent, especially since most regional championships have become defunct.

do not forget that there are several arab championships and tournaments that north african nations compete it aswell

9. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Split, Croatia
    Wafu Cup was also held this year, so as Cemac Cup.

I hope there will be streams for CHAN in January.