The Oscar Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by spot, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't think a solid youth system, even if it's the best in MLS, will do a lot to make the Rapids a top flight MLS team at least in near to mid term future. It can't hurt though, and may provide the occasional role player to augment the team. The next Messi to come out of the front range will not stay in the Rapids youth system once he gets that label, they'll be off to Europe. That'll be true for any U.S. player.

However, an exceptional youth system can be good for the Rapids in terms of marketing their brand.

2. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd be correct, see FCD (the academy built by OP). Of the 7 home grown players we've signed, NONE of them see regular first team action. The only contribution to date has been Bryan Leyva (first HG signing back in '09), who was forced in the starting XI a couple times this season by way of injury.

Opinions around FCD vary on this subject. Some say it comes down Hyndman not trusting the young players enough and not giving them a shot. Others say the signings dominate in youth play because they are just more physically/mentally advanced than their competition and sink with the senior side because all things are now equal for them. Without seeing them everyday it's hard to comment either way on the frightening trend (roster spots that can't contribute).

3. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the youth development is important, and exciting.

I think it'll eventually help the Rapids as well as I believe that MLS team success often relies on journeymen. Some teams have had very good players, but haven't won anything because their journeymen weren't up to filling the holes. The NY team has a long history of trying to have a few stars surrounded by a weak cast.

I do wonder about the defined style approach the Rapids are going for. It seems to me some youth will fit with it and be successful, but some who have a greater chance of success won't fit. I'm not sure the Rapids/MLS are in the position to ignore talent that doesn't fit a system.

Trying to draw lessons from Europe is a tricky affair. Too many teams that we might look to for lessons are situated in countries with long soccer histories and deep cultural roots, further benefited by being in major cities that Denver is hardly the equivalent of, and at the club level a hundred years of prestige that will always attract talent - either youth or developed.

4. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Yeah, pretty much just like in all aspect of real life. What's the alternative?
    First, who says they are ignoring anyone? Second, if that U14 kid, regardless of their talent, can't adapt and be successful with different styles, may be better off with a different program.

5. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want to talk about microcosms? How about a single win over Salt Lake and a PR stunt with a handful of bloggers in one week. This is still one of our worst seasons ever...but its all better now?

I admire the optimism. I really do. I wish I could be more optimistic, but its going to take a lot more than those two things to convince me these people are competent and the the club is headed in the right direction.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the season were to end today I don't think there's a wrong answer about firing Pareja/Bravo/Hinchey. I could see firing them or keeping them. If we lose a bunch of the next 11 then clearly that moves to the firing side. But if we win a bunch of the 11 then that moves towards the keeping them side.

I could see us winning 4 of our next 5 (@Dallas, Chivas, @Portland, Portland), at which point the season will look significantly better than it does now. Of course I could also see us losing at least 3 of those (@Dallas, @San Jose, @Portland) which would be very bad. So right now I'm somewhat in-between optimism and pessimism.

7. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Go with optimism, it's a heck of a lot more fun than being pessimistic, although these days it takes a bit more work.

8. BeTheRed

BeTheRed Member

May 16, 2006
    I still contend it is way to early to talk about firings. Most successful coaches/management teams go through crappy seasons first before having success. The way you stay mediocre is by not making changes so you do decent for the first couple of years and then you never get the turnover needed to revamp the team in your style. And you stay mediocre.

22SteveD repped this.
  9. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really is staggering to me that anybody still wants to give Pareja more time. Its amazing really. You could look at this team in May, come back 3 months later, and literally see nothing change. We see the same non-existent tactics, the fundamental mistakes from veteran players, and the complete inability to get more than 45 minutes out of the entire team. At this point I think I'm beyond where I simply think Pareja is inept, I really think we're at the point where he (with Bravo's help) is now doing damage to this team.

So we're down goals in Dallas and we need something on offense. So we put on Thompson and Akpan? What the hell happened to Jamie Smith? Can none of you really see any parallels of this situation to a certain "dog house" that a very specific coach from our past had?

How about the Kimura trade? Say what you want about his ability, good or bad. Also ingnore that he was a popular player. The real question is why did trade him? We have no depth on our back line, so we get rid of a defender and later acquire Wahl, who is total downgrade...so we are right back where we started on the depth issue. And what exactly did we get for Kimura again? An international slot that we didn't use, and allocation money for the new signings that never happened. Think about that for a second. We literately gave him away for free!

Pareja is a complete moron. He doesn't know how to use the players he is given. He doesn't know how to bring new players into his "system" to make improvements. This guy will never be a successful with this team. Period. Forget throwing away this year. If we keep him through the end of 2013, we will not see the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 years.

You think we'll have a good youth academy in a few years? Fine, demote Pareja and let him coach little kids. Give the senior team to somebody that actually knows what the hell they are doing. As for Bravo, this "system" is his baby, and he needs to be held accountable for what he has created here.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    On the broadcast last night, they claimed Jamie Smith was injured again (but Romero and Balboa could be are just clueless). Don't see his name in the injury reports, though, and he was in the 18 for last night, unlike another doghouse guy (Hill). It is weird.

11. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres no way he's hurt. This is the same guy that got minutes in both the MLS and Reserve matches against Salt Lake a week ago. As you saw, he never showed up on any injury report. There is no reason he would have traveled if he was hurt.

Must have stubbed is toe at the hotel. :rolleyes:

12. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be like I was proposing of why give minutes to a guy that will not be back after seasons end, but that doesn't explain it given who was used. So, like everyone I am just trying to enjoy the ride because I have no clue where it's headed

13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I'm not enjoying this ride. This has become something much worse than a ride. Every bad result gives me serious doubts that he can produce next season.

14. dismemberment

dismemberment Member

Dec 10, 2007
    colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's not the coach's fault its the ********ing team and there inconsistency

i say sell the team and rebuild with the expansion draft.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF does that even mean???

16. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    It means someone has more cash than he's been letting on...:D

jayd8888 and commercecity repped this.
  17. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You all know I think Bravo should be fired, hell he should be dragged out of Colorado never to come back. But now I agree too that OP should be fired. The thing is if he is going to play a new system, then why are we not playing it? We are losing every game anyway, don't you think we would just play the new system and hopefully towards the end of the season some of the guys would start picking it up? Right now, nothing makes sense. When is this team going to learn the new system, during next years season? No f'ing way, time to fire them all, fire them and be done with it.

18. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't agree OP should be fired but if the Rapids are committed to the system and "transitioning" the team the current approach doesn't make a lot of sense.

COMtnGuy and 22SteveD repped this.
  19. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Folks at least it's not like this

Fifteen Years Is Enough For The Youth Movement
    A group of Royals fans are trying to raise money so they can ask owner David Glass, via a letter in a local newspaper, to sell the team. It's hard to argue with the fans' point when they lay it out like this: "This is an organization that has gone from playing for Division Championships, Pennants and World Championships almost every year for the better part of a 10 to 12 year span, to a team on a proverbial "youth movement" for the better part of 15 years.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com

20. railwaystand

railwaystand Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Smith was not hurt. Reserve game on Wednesday in Chicago....

21. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 year youth movement?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They start them young, at 2 years old! :D

23. murphyskicks

murphyskicks Member

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What Bravo has done to the organization is criminal. I agree that OP deserves more time in my mind but Bravo is moving in the wrong direction. Having said that, there is something to be said for wiping the slate clean and starting fresh. It sure seems the team is getting worse week after week.

24. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We need to start seeing Fire Bravo banners at the game, that asshole needs to go.

25. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    What exactly did Paul Bravo do, asside from firing your BFF Gary Smith, to deserve all your hate? Sure the rapids have lost a ton of games this year, but the majority have been close and key player errors are what cost them. Not sure how this is Bravo's fault. You might have some claim to being upset with Pareja not "preparing" the team, but I don't think Bravo deserves your ire.

I know I sound like a broken record, but one season is not enough to remake the style of a team, especially when you factor in MLS' rigid roster rules and Mr. Kroenke's frugality. Think Tampa Bay Rays or Texas Rangers, those teams are good now but they did it through youth development and a few years of losing. Hopefully it won't take that long for the Rapids.

I know it's more fun/cathartic to scream for someone's head on a platter but it just isn't rational at this point. As I've said before, if the Rapids are still losing like this this time next year I will be the first in line with Fire Bravo/Pareja banners but seriously at least give them a full offseason to remake the roster.