The Oscar Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by spot, Jul 11, 2012.

1. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Oscar. You seem like a nice guy, but you gotta go. For me, it is no longer too early to tell. Sack Pareja. I started really following the Rapids closely in '01 and I have never been this embarrassed for them. This team went from a respectable fringe contender to a complete joke in only half a season. Of course there are other factors in play (there always are) but when you're the boss, you get credit for success and blame for failure.

Quinn 33 repped this.
  2. Barry Off Eastenders

Jun 3, 2008
    Denver
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've had enough of this clown's version of "attractive" football to last me a lifetime.

3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just GS ball with some more passing thrown in and a sieve for D

4. fhnkeeper03

fhnkeeper03 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a FO staff told me at the beginning of the season that I would not recognize this team anymore now that OP was in charge.... I didn't know he meant it like this.

5. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Careful what you wish for....

6. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still not that hot on canning Oscar. I'm not a huge fan either, but I don't want him canned yet.

I do wonder what the off-season will be like if the Rapids do keep him. There are too many valuable players that aren't really performing under him. If he's to succeed several of them will need to go. But, that's the knot the team has tied. They'll get skewered for making the moves, or they'll get skewered for sticking with Pareja.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the trade window is still open, will be interesting if Bravo does nothing again. We obviously need to at least shake things up if not flat out move some players.

8. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Pareja will be the coach next year. KSE is too cheap to eat his contract, plus they don't care about the Rapids. That said it is a good thing in this case. Yeah the Rapids have sucked but it isn't unfixable and I think it will happen. Although it probably isn't going to do wonders for the STH count next year.

9. DaminadaPt2

DaminadaPt2 Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm already on that wagon. To be honest I don't mind OP, but I don't ever see him doing anything with Bravo in this organization. Bravo must be fired just based on what he did to the team this year.

10. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Bravo gonna be our Mo Johnston?

11. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    You're being kind, try our Bashar al-Assad

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did he work for TFC as well?

13. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAT is not the photo of a guy who isn't passionate about winning !

14. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put,sir. You guys are much more sensible than some of them fools on facebook !

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    The Quote Button, it's a trusted friend, feel free to use it.

16. dallasrapidsfan

May 8, 2012
    Dallas
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, thought that I did. This ain't my first day, but thatnks for the kind advice !

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Being passionate about winning doesn't mean you end up winning. I think this month is ample evidence of that.

18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    And to be fair, you don't need to quote one single person to say that one person is more sensible than the fools on facebook, we are all more sensible!

DavidJames repped this.
  19. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely, I am not giving up on Pareja, but, I would like to see him sit on the bench and calmly figure strategies, adjustments and tactics. Jumping around the touch line as he does is not awe inspiring. In Cabrera, he has a very savvy lieutenant with whom to consult, he should do so. With maturity Pareja will "get it" but this interim period is frustrating.

Bravo is another story. He has a job because his jersey hangs in the Gallery of Honor. He doesn’t belong on the wall or in his job. His tenure with LA was mediocre and now he is less than that.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours tonight talking to Bravo, Hinchey, and Pareja along with 8 or so other press and bloggers. After talking to them its obvious they have a long-term plan for the club from the 8/9/10 year-olds all the way up to the first team. Pareja is committed to the style of play (which seems heavily influenced by his Colombian National Teams in the 90's) but admitted he had made some mistakes this season. He's tweaking the formation and players as he figures things out, but the underlying system is going to stay the same. As he put it "Jason, how can I tell Marv not to pass it back to the keeper now (using the debacle in Salt Lake as an example) after spending months telling him that's what I want him to do?" He says you're either using the system or you're not. I got the feeling he'd rather go down with his belief in his system then try to institute a new one.

So the question of Pareja staying or going really comes down to the question of if you believe this system is the right one for the Rapids. If you do then Pareja is the guy you should go with. If you don't think this is the system the Rapids should be using then Pareja is absolutely the wrong coach.

FC Denver repped this.
  21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    That's all good information but I'll continue to let results influence me on this one.

22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    The issue may come down to, we like the road we're on and the bus, while pretty good, could use a couple upgraded parts, but the driver has become the weak link.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In that case we'll probably have to replace the driver (Pareja), mechanic (Bravo), and dispatcher (Hinchey). They certainly seemed like they were all dedicated to this same system and focus for the club.

(And I'm not saying we can't do that, just that what we're hearing about the team system is coming from more than just OP. This is clearly an organization-wide focus.)

24. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I guess my analogy was crystal clear only in my head.

Everyone in the organization is committed to the same system. That doesn't (shouldn't) mean, individual parts couldn't be replaced for upgrades. My example was OP could be replaced to improve the coaching. Or maybe Bravo gets replaced to bring in a better judge of talent, or Hinchey to get a better caliber of tweets ;)

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I got it. I just got the impression tonight that at least in the near future the three of them are somewhat linked. Maybe not Hinchey so much but I don't see Bravo or Pareja being OK with the other one being let go.

If this group is still together by the end of next season or into 2014 then maybe you'll see some more separation between them.