The Optimist Thread: We have a real chance of WINNING the East

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Wow. Did I miss something? Is the team with the best record hosting MLS Cup this year? No more neutral site?

2. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes. This is the first year that this is the case.

3. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the team with the best record actually playing in the game. (so Seattle wouldn't play NY in say SJ if they are SS winners).

iron81 repped this.
  4. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Correct.

5. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Some perspective:

On this day in history, Chicago played their week 25 fixture of the 2011 season. They beat Toronto 2-0, and earned their THIRD win of the season.

Chicago play this season's week 25 fixture tomorrow, and have a chance to win their THIRTEENTH game of the season

xtomx repped this.
  6. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    We had such bad luck last year. So many posts and crossbars hit. So many Draws that could have been wins.

7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or losses, of course.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Hey...

...this is the optimist thread. :p

nowherenova and xtomx repped this.
  9. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Pregame Optimistic Stat :

Over the last 365 days, Chicago has the best record in the MLS: 18-9-6.

henryo and SixKick repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True. My bad.

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's a good optimist stat. I wonder where we rank since Klopas has taken over.

12. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    We lost, but I am still optimistic we can win most of our remaining matches.

13. Chicago SC

Chicago SC Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good to know. I work Wednesdays and Saturdays so I'm psyched to be going to the Houston game.

Staying optimistic!

14. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    I hope so too, but we're going to have to play better than that to do so.

But the optimistic spin to last night is, if we were to lose to a team, DC was the one to lose to. We play them again, which means we can still over take them in points again, even if we both win out until that game.

We can also still overtake Houston and tie NY by virtue of head to head games. But now we have to get help to catch SKC. If we had won, we would be able to overtake them with our head to head.

Now, even more before, our chances come down to the 3 SKC-NY games. We need those teams to drop points, and those are the easiest place for it to happen. As long as neither team sweeps, we can make up serious ground. If SKC drops at least three points (but fewer than 9), we regain the ability to win our way into first place.

15. iirc he took over memorial day weekend so that is all klopas

16. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    According to wiki we went 8-5-10 under FK last year, which makes us 20-13-15 (after last nights loss) total. He took over on May 30, 2011

Don't know where that ranks us, but I'm going to say a lot lower than first. That means we went 2-3-9 between May 30 and August 22. Which isn't good. I always forget just how many draws I was forced to watch last year

17. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Optimistic fact for the day: Frank still has a week to figure out what went wrong before we have to play a game.... >_>

I hate bye weeks. Couple of big games this weekend though. DC makes up their game in hand, which decides if we finish the week in 4th or 5th, NYC and SKC play each other, and Houston plays after having traveled to central america midweek. Things could look bad if all the results go against us, or they could look great. I hope for the latter

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Optimism for the day. We are still in 4th place, as Montreal beats DC 3-0. Pontius and De Ro both started on the bench, in an ill-advised attempt at resting them. They both came on at around 60' but it was too late by that point.

19. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I happened to watch the game and even when they came on they made little to no difference at all. Our chance with getting farther ahead lies in DC has to play something like four or five games in next fourteen days.

20. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Higuain with two free kick goals as NE squanders a 2-0 lead. 3-2 columbus at half. Tough to tell which team I want to see do worse here.

Though, three points for Columbus puts them a little more in the playoff picture, whereas I'm pretty convinced NE has no chance.

21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Code:
    TEAMS            GP      PTS    PPG

1.Kansas City    25      46    1.84
    2.New York       25      44    1.76
    3.CHICAGO        25      41    1.64
    4.Houston        26      42    1.62
    5.DC United      25      40    1.60
    6.Columbus       24      36    1.50
    7.Montreal       28      39    1.39
    New York at Kansas City....Best case would be a tie, if not a New York win....

22. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    SKC scores in the 3rd minute off some awful defending from NY.

Not sure how NY will do here, no Henry, Lindpere on the bench, and , perhaps worst of all, Conde making a surprise start at Leftback.

23. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    SKC helps NY out with an own goal. 1-1 at halftime.

NY without a single shot. To be fair though, Sporks haven't threatened too much since their goal either. Game is really chippy. I expect a red card at some point

24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game is tied 1-1 on a Kamara own goal.......Defend, defend and defend some more and get out of there with a 1-1 tie. :D