The Ongoing Yura Transfer Saga

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, Aug 21, 2009.

1. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 2009 RSL In-Season News Thread, Part IV

this club is ********ing ridiculous to say the least, at least i have the timbers, a properly run club who is WINNING. 23 game unbeaten streak, suck on that RSL. the FO of this team could learn a thing or two from the timbers.

i cant wait until 2011.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so they got another offer, yet they still decided it wasnt good enough... then they didnt even travel yura? WTF!!!!
    This team is confussing to say the least.

3. smackdowntay

smackdowntay Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Im really confused. Real has talent, theres no doubt about it. Im confused as to why we cant get points, even at home! My guess, and a lot of people have said this already, is that its JK and the coaching. I didnt want to think this for a long time, and im not on the "Hate RSL" movement but its the only plausible reasoning.

I want to beleive RSL! My faith is shaking. Something needs to be done, we all know that its not going to be this season though.

What sign/poster could i make that would depict our frustrations? Findley hitting the post? Javi crying on the ground? Clint acting like a baby? Olave getting a red card? Espy elbowing someone in the head? Any ideas???

4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I bet Boz and/or FM will come up with a clever sign to depict this season... as for what we could do at games, let our frustration be known (look at prolific's thread for ideas).

While I will admit we arent the most talented team in the league, we are better than where we currently sit (11th) and this goes, almost always, on the shoulders of the coach.

JK, its time to step down. Take your #9 jersey and shove it up your ass

5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

The only caveat here - is that all of this comes from Yura's agent who I assume wouldn't mind making Lagerwey look bad. Lagerwey denied a new offer. The team has also denied "punishing" Yura.

You reference that Yura "said as much". Did he? Where? The frustrating thing is that Yura ain't talking. Hopefully he will at practice today.

6. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Incorrect. Lagerwey only claimed that Randers "never improved its offer." Important distinction, no?
    Yes, Yura said exactly as much...yesterday through his agent (who presumably speaks for him). Let's not dance around or play cute word games.

Again... either take Randers' cash, or play Yura. I no longer care which. But doing neither is bad faith. It's already damaging club morale.

7. stucknutah

stucknutah Member+

Feb 14, 2002
    In the Office
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

If I read the story correctly, Garth didn't say that, the writer wrote that. The quote that is attributable to Garth is "There's never been any significant movement from them"

That suggests that there has been an offer, just not one that Garth considers to be "significant."

8. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Perhaps. But that's hardly a denial that Rander's in fact made another offer last week (as suggested by realslfan). And isn't that the very heart of this issue. If you're going to leave a fit-enough Yura out of the 18 anyway, why not just take whatever cash is left on the table and wash your hands? How is this NOT bad faith?

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

exactly FM.
    If we are actually going to use him, fine.
    But if we are making him sit (outside the 18 or on the pine) then it doesnt make much sense why we wouldnt take the cash and split.
    If Yura doesnt start this weekend, then it shows the stupidity level of this team I feel

10. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed.
    It's time to shit or get off the pot

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

nicely said... repped

12. DadOf6

DadOf6 Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It would be bad faith if RSL had a legal/moral obligation to sell Yura's contract and they took steps to see that it did not happen.

Not accepting an offer for les that they are willing to accept is not bad faith negotiating. Neither is Randers' refusing to offer more than they are willing to pay.

Instead of the inaccurate phrase "bad faith" I would simply call it an "impasse."

Negotiating in bad faith is unethical. But refusing to accept an offer that is too low and insisting that the original contract be honored is not unethical.

There is plenty of room to discuss whether or not RSL's position is wise or not. I believe that RSL will not be helped in the short term but they have drawn a line in the sand and players/agents/teams will know what to expect the next time the situation arises. That could be a good thing.

13. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice voice of reason comments from Do6. People are up in arms about what is a negotiation that is being done somewhat too much in public, arguably at the instigation of the agent.

14. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This whole thing started ugly. Randers should not have offered a contract mid season. Yura should not have signed it mid season. Everyone knew that nothing good would come from it if a buy out didn't happen.

I don't have a problem with how RSL is handling it. If the money wasn't what they wanted why sell. Rander and Yura left RSL as the lone party getting screwed. Maybe its just sour grapes on my part but with the way Randers season is going they need Yura now. Randers should pay a high price to fill that need.

I would be fine with Yura sitting the bench or not getting into the 18 the rest of the season. At least this way RSL isn't the only party on the losing end of a shady deal. Maybe Yura and Randers will learn a valuable lesson for the future.

15. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

= euphemism. Sorry.

Given situations of all involved (not the least of whom Yura's pregnant partner...and current RSL players' morale), I maintain it's bad faith. Yet to hear a coherent explanation otherwise--but I'll keep listening.
    +1 ...And do we not need cash anymore? Not even the little that's still on the table? Sell him or play him. One or the other, please.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

its not just Yura though, thats one HUGE point that FM is trying to point out here.
    Yura's agent is dealing with this too... and he is not JUST yura's agent people

17. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You have to stick up for what you think is right, RSL is doing that. Just becuase he is other peoples agent as well as Yura's doesn't mean he get to treat teams like shit. This deal smelled from the start, that is Yuras agents fault.

18. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why sell if the price isn't right?

19. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Are you serious? ..or just blindly loyal?

What exactly is the "value" of an unhappy player that will be gone in 8 games anyway. One who is--by several 1st-hand accounts--damaging club morale. One whom RSL unconvincingly claims is too injured to travel/play?

If he's not honestly going to be used, his value is nothing to RSL right now. He might even be more valuable gone than still here.

I'm not sure if I'm jealous or repulsed by some of this delusional anti-logic tribalism. Regardless, it's no way to run a railroad. Maybe there's a fact I don't know about... but I've yet to hear it.

Negotiating against one's own interest--simply to inflict damage on the other party... is the very definition of bad faith.

20. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Negotiating against one's own interest--simply to inflict damage the other party... is the very definition of bad faith.[/QUOTE]

The "bad faith" portion of the deal was the day it was signed. I didn't like it then and I hate it now. Unfortunately what many thought would happen has happened. My point is is RSL bends over now they will be forced to bend over everytime someone wants one of our players.

21. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

Make up your mind. A few posts ago it was a euphemism. Which is it?

And what factual evidence do you have that there is intent to "inflict damage"? Serious accusation in my book. Or is this a case of delusional, anti-logic thinking?

I would love to discover the truth about this situation. Have had convo's with Garth and Yura's agent about this one. But until Yura speaks (himself) and gets this out in the open, we are all left to guessing (no matter how much bluster one puts behind their opinion).

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

if he doesnt play there is no worth to Yura.
    If they seriously are not accepting the offer AND not playing Yura... its childish

RSL is acting like a little kid right now with a toy it really doesnt want.

Hey, can I have that toy RSL?
    NO! Unless you pay me a really high amount for it
    How about this much?
    NO!
    (a little while later...)

Hey, can I play with that toy now?
    NO!
    how about if I pay you this much this time?
    NO! Thats still too low
    But you arent even playing with it
    NO!
    Really?
    NO!

23. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

IMO, the burden is with you.

Kindly explain how rejecting another ~$250,000 offer (probably prorated now) for Yura is in RSL's *best interest*.

And remember... this is a player RSL essentially turned it's back on last weekend. A player Beckerman is talking about in past tense. A player who is unhappy here. A player who only has 8 matches left in MLS regardless. A player RSL claims is injured. A player with a pregnant partner who will have difficulty relocating soon. A player who's lingering presence is manifestly poisoning club morale. A player who's agent--for better or worse--holds considerable sway over a large chunk of RSL's roster (past, current & likely future).

I'm all ears.

Hint... "Garth just didnt' think the price was right" is NOT going to cut it. I need logic. Go...

EDIT:
    FYI, the euphemism was "impasse". Not "bad faith".

24. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think the childish portion was:
    I would like you to come play for our team.

But I have a signed contract with RSL

Oh, I know lets sign you anyway and while we're at it lets take a nice picture of you smiling holding our jersey.

But this would send the wrong message to RSL

Yes and then RSL will be forced to sell you for cheap because they know you don't want to play for them anymore.

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When it came out that Kreis may have angered people in Argentina during his first year at coach, the general concern was that such behavior would impact negotiating for players/loans/contracts later on. I think this is similar in that the negotiating approach for a player headed overseas/their agent/the team abroad will impact negotiations in the future. What is happening with Yura now is also about similar negotiations in the future vis-a-vis this FO team. I am not decided about whether we're making a largely good, largely bad, or mixed statement about such situations, but the Yura situation ought not be seen in isolation.