The One-Hundred Greatest Brazilians

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by Ombak, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A discussion on rec.sport.soccer has led some to ask if any Brazilian media outlet has produced a list of the 100 Greatest Brazilians - many other countries have had recent TV or other media rankings of their 100 Greatest. I couldn't find one for Brazil.

So, of course, the next question is... who would yours be? Top 10 at least - most important, influential Brazilian figures in the history of our nation.

I came up with this quick list:

Pelé
    D. Pedro II
    Machado de Assis
    Getúlio Vargas
    Carlos Drummond de Andrade
    Oscar Niemeyer
    Barbosa Lima Sobrinho (who I had the honor of meeting persoally - his son was a neighbor of ours and I stayed in his home only 6 months before he passed away)
    Caetano Veloso
    Villa-Lobos
    Nelson Rodrigues

2. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Good call.

When I went to Santos in 2003, I was taken to the monument in Sao Vicente that Niemeyer designed to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Brasil.

[​IMG]

For those who don't know about this, it points directly to Brasilia (the capital).

3. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    May I add Ayrton Senna and Tom Jobim?

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    To the top 10? Who would you replace?

Top 100 I definitely agree.

5. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    If not the top 10, definitely in the top 100:

Carmen Miranda

6. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Great idea! Well, I will add just a few names. Maybe we should explain why these men and women were so important in our History.

Alberto Santos Dumont - Aleijadinho - Anita Garibaldi

Anita Malfatti - Assis Chateaubriand -

Barão de Mauá - Barão do Rio Branco

Carlos Chagas - Carlos Gomes

Dom Pedro I (without him it would be impossible to elaborate a list)

Guimarães Rosa - Joaquim Nabuco - Juscelino Kubitschek

Monteiro Lobato - Osvaldo Cruz

Princesa Isabel - Tiradentes - Vital Brazil

On a side note, a few days ago I was thinking about a list of the 100 Greatest Brazilian Football Players.

7. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    On the other list (rec.sport.soccer) we also mentioned:

Rui Barbosa
    Roberto Marinho
    Chico Anysio
    Grande Otelo
    Fernanda Montenegro
    Graciliano Ramos
    Chico Buarque

Others that would have to be considered (who we hadn't discussed yet):

Candido Mendes,
    Ulysses Guimaraes
    Vinicius de Moraes
    Cartola

People who could possibly make the list:

Betinho
    FHC
    Other Presidents - Washington Luis?
    Paulo Coelho (not my list - but others might put him top 100)

Can we make Charles Miller an honorary Brazilian for purposes of this list? I mean, he was influential!!!

8. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Great! A lot of names will pop up. We should add the fathers of the Republic, Marechal Deodoro da Fonseca and Marechal Floriano Peixoto. And also one of the fathers of samba, Noel Rosa.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was just reviewing and was going to add their names, but all my lists keep getting filled with artists first... and then I forget some of the big political names I was considering; shows a little bit of my bias on my part. PS _ I edited that post above to add even more names I was thinking of.

10. neovox

neovox Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Sul do Brasil
    Artists are a problem for me too. ;) But I definetelly like big political names. Washington Luís was the last president of the Old Republic, the coffee & milk agreement, so he deserves recognition. But we must remember that he also had a few issues with his Treasure Secretary, Getúlio Vargas, who succeeded him in a coup d'etat after fraud elections conducted by Washington Luís himself.

I have restrictions to Paulo Coelho's work, but he's also there - as well as Ulysses Guimarães and, if I may add, Tancredo Neves.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like I said, I wouldn't consider Paulo Coelho in my top 100. But don't forget he also wrote music with Raul Seixas, so it's not just his novels he has a part in.

As for Washington Luis, as you said, last President of the Old Republic (where's MIGKiller to make a Star Wars reference?), he also started significant roads projects (Rio-Petropolis, Rio-Sao Paulo), unfortunately for him the great depression hit in 1929 and the Brazilian economy suffered a lot.

Tancredo Neves definitely gets consideration from me.

How about some other names in the "should they make a top 100?" category. Not definites, but to be considered?

Carlos Lacerda
    Joao Saldanha
    any of the Presidents from 1964-1985?
    a columnist like Armando Nogueira?
    a unionist-cum President like Lula?

Maybe we should come up with a short-list of 300 or more and then work on shortening it here?

12. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    How popular is Oscar Schmidt?

Sorry, but I'm not too knowledgable on Brazilian history, so I'll probably stay out of this thread.

13. vbspurs

vbspurs New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Oi, tudo bom, Ombak? ;)

I'm here, as promised, to place my personal Top All-Time Brazilians in list form below.

I've made two minor alterations to my original rec.sport.soccer list, and in fact, expanded the Top 10 to the Top 15.

I noticed that after the first 15, the waters became muddier with "povão" choices -- as sadly, I would have to consider Caetano, Senna, et. al.

In fact, I was so inspired by this anal-retentive list thingie, that I went ahead and made it my BLOG topic of the day.

http://futuremd.blogspot.com/2005/07/top-15-brazilians-of-all-time.html

(I give my reasons just below my choices, here reproduced for your reading and s************ing pleasure)

TOP 15 BRAZILIANS OF ALL TIME

1- Edson Arantes do Nascimento dit Pelé
    2- Dom Pedro II
    3- Getúlio Vargas
    4- Carlos Drummond de Andrade
    5- Machado de Assis
    6- Rui Barbosa
    7- Heitor Villa-Lobos
    8- Oscar Niemeyer
    9- Carmen Miranda
    10- Dr. Carlos Chagas
    11- Visconde de Mauá
    12- Juscelino Kubitschek
    13- Antonio Carlos Jobim dit Tom Jobim
    14- Alberto Santos-Dumont
    15- Candido Portinari

This list is meant primarily for native Brazilians, or for Brazilianists with more than a cursory knowledge of Brazilian history.

Ooh, aah, get her.

Cheers,
    Victoria

14. trmbrasil

trmbrasil Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great thread and I would say that Jorge Amado (much more than Paulo Coelho) is easily worthy of top 100 consideration, if not in the upper echelon of the group. Then again, I am biased toward things from Bahia.

tm

15. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What's up trmbrasil, long time eh?

Are you on the US now? I bet you miss the time when you rioted with other Bahia fans against Vitória supporters.

On topic, I think Marechal Cândido Rondon should be on the list. With deep native roots, he's one of the first Brazilians to explore the wilderness of the Brazilian Amazon.

16. trmbrasil

trmbrasil Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Mig -

I am back in graduate school in the US, so have had less time to hang out on BS, but have been keeping up with noticias do Brasil when I can. As for missing Ba-Vi games....it is probably better that I don't have to witness the complete unravelling of my club up close. Though I'm far away, I have sent some money and ideas to people who are trying to change the administrative structure of the EC Bahia....
    http://www.bahialivre.com.br/bahialivre/asp/default.asp
    ...but that is another thread

Gilberto Gil for top 100, or too much in Caetano's shadow (i.e. not as political as Caetano) in the tropicalia movement?

17. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to get too political, but I think the Councellor, Antonio Conselhiro should be in the top 10.

The whole Canudos situation in 1893-97 exemplifies the most important issues in Brazil- from the soldiers returning home from Monte Favella to the landless movement.

18. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    I apologize in advance for the threadjack, but I will be traveling to Brasil in January either to Rio or Sao Paolo to work in the fashion week. Which city would you recommend, and how much will NOT speaking Portugese hamper my stay?

Thanks in advance.

19. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Just start a new thread or find one with some similar questions.

MODS, please split this thread!

As for your question: it's no contest. Rio over S~ao Paulo. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mental. Now, if you need to do some work during fashion week and have to attend events in Sao Paulo, I'm sure it will be plenty of fun.

Not speaking Portuguese should not hamper your stay much if at all, but learn some phrases, it will make it more fun and make people warm up to you quicker.

Seriously man, without any context beyond "which one, Rio or Sao Paulo" you should get 100% of the answers as: Rio de Janeiro.

20. joga10

joga10 New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Ronaldinho