The Offseason Thread: What does FCD have to do to bounce back in 2013/Someone please beat Houston[R]

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Nov 9, 2012.

1. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, good read (and kinda scary), wonder what SH can muster to fix this issue. I think the solutions to this will likely cement his status as a good coach or a flash in the pan.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The formation switch worried me from the start because of Ferreira. He makes the team go but the 4-5-1 was built for him. He is now several years older than when he arrived and this formation is more work in a hot Texas Summer when many other of FCDallas Burn's best midfielders started faltering at the same age. Add in the team may not have a midfield defensive destroyer to pair with Ferreira and it is worrying. If they narrow the midfield formation to a thin diamond then Castillo may not fit and the outside backs become the width while Benitez is getting to the diminishing age himself.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hey...............but at least the club is taking risks in order to get more attacking firepower on the field.

We may be conceding some goals with this lineup, but I suspect we'll score quite a bit more too.

Frankly, our lack of a d-mid is a problem no matter what formation we use. Benitez is a problem no matter what formation he's in. Ferreira's age could be a problem no matter what formation we use.

What's the strength of this team? From my point of view its the centerbacks. So we'll ask them to hold firm while our creative players go to work......................

I'm happy starting the season with this formation, and then adjusting from there.

4. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Remember when this team was fun to watch? (win or tie) In the two seasons since our MLS cup run I can't recall more than 3 games that, when finished, I didn't feel like I had wasted 90minutes of my life. I sure hope the attack gels and soon.

5. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Can someone tell me more @ JVW? The resume and age suggest that he will fill our mf need. Is he a difference maker, or a Marceline type of pick up?

6. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think they've done a good job this off season but to be a FCD fan one always has doubts. I am more concerned that SH may not be a little more creative too get all the best parts out there. I am hoping he surprises me and embraces a bit of his inner Morrow and tinkers with formations and players until he finds what works.

1oohptoyopu and scholes181818 repped this.
  8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh, for what we can get right now.............he certainly fits the bill.

Certainly worth a 2nd round draft pick. My humble opinion is that he's a step above Marcellin, but perhaps not as good as DeGuzman.

I mean, I'm not a Clavijo fan, but he's made some good moves this off-season hasn't he? I've been quite satisfied with everything other than the Hollingshead draft pick (and that shows you how much we value 2nd round picks).

9. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So - is Ramon Nunez officially signed? Or no.

10. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's like Ted Eck but he doesn't try as hard.

SourCream&OnionUtd and ivannomad repped this.
  11. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if its official or will be official seeing as how he can't play until at least April.

12. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Noticed that Juan Toja is now back with NE Revs and Carlos Ruiz is at DC Untd. Evidently, the Greek league owes them quite a bit of back pay. If I recall, FIFA usually allows for a free for all as to players rights / waiving transfer fee requirements in those type of situations. Does anyone follow the Greek League? GJ? Anyone? Is there another DM that is looking for a paying gig and a steady paycheck that could help?

13. cowtown

cowtown Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Plano, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS: The Checks Will Clear

The_Ponce repped this.
  14. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    for now

15. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yesterday was a good start IMO

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Glad to see it and it gives me more hope for the year. He has a lot of puzzle pieces and if he is willing to mix, match and fiddle until it clicks then it may be a good year. If he returns to stubborn SH where Saragosa has to start somewhere anywhere then the year will be long.

17. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

reaction to JVW leaving. Good summary here and highlight reel of him.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    theodore and scholes181818 repped this.
  19. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome Clint - Can't wait to watch this when I get home from work.

20. 1oohptoyopu

1oohptoyopu Member

May 31, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    he absolutely shitted on Chad Marshall @34sec mark

21. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Enjoyed the posted scrimmage, and I like the changes. We are playing radically different. And this in spite of the fact that not all the prime timer's were out at the same time. Our 4 in the middle play more of a box than flat across. This allows DF to still play make in a central role, and allows Jackson to ramble through the center of the defense. We still seemed to get plenty of crosses into the box, and KC played a center of the box role. We still are looking to get our width from the runs of the OFB's. The new Brazilian OFB Michel is going to be a force in MLS.

SJ were very lucky. Blas blew his PK, and we narrowly missed multiple quality chances. I had expected us to be very sit back and wait for set pieces. But, no. SH has this group very attack oriented. As the announcer pointed out, our back line seemed a bit high at times. The two goals we conceded were individual mistakes. But, we will need to see which one of the GK'ers can come off his line the quickest to snuff the through balls if we continue to play with the high flat back line.

I was a little more settled watching AJ as one of the two holders. Warshaw is ok defensively. Warshaw is not the most creative player, but covers well. I think we have the makings of a good team this year. Now hopefully we figure out a way to see them on TV more frequently.

Thanks again to Clint EW for the link. I recommend that you check it out at least through the first half.

Cowtown Felipe repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad that Sanchez will probably miss the same time that Fernandez is gone as I would like to see him play a game for FCD before they sell the kid. Looked good in the U20 match but doubt he will ever play here except with the reserves.