The Official will Alex Morgan trade Jeld-Wen for BBVA Compass Stadium - THREAD

Discussion in 'Houston Dash' started by WPS_Movement, Dec 12, 2013.

1. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Of course Press is probably in Houston, but it's fun to play the trade game. For Houston to jump that quick USSoccer must have promised them something nice like Portland. Since allocations are not moved, Press and Engen could be the ground work for Houston.
    People need to relax. Press probably ends up in Houston with two nice allocations and the BEST Mexican allocation.

I can't remember her husband name but he's nothing but a reserve mid-fielder for Houston, an easy trade to Portland. That makes more sense. Paulson will have to deal with 2015 when they are re-allocated and more MLS teams come in. No way he keeps Morgan and Sinclair. BTW, AEG owns Houston, so Houston could be a test for the Big Storm coming, the LA Galaxy.

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BTW, she'd be out of her mind if she pulled off a Holiday and change her last name. Far from my favorite player, but she'd killed her marketing with his last name or even using a hyphenation. That's a BIG jump from a "Holiday" (more memorable than "Cheney") to "Carrasco" which sounds like a hot sauce.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #28 Cliveworshipper, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    And that team got compensated with a larger salary cap.

Another team got shorted two allocated players. A third allocated player only played half a season.
    Actually, you could say the same for a third team. They won the championship.

4. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    My comment was largely in connection to the possibility of Alex being traded for whatever reason and that if any team could afford to trade Morgan and not suffer the backlash, it is Portland.

As for the whole situation with the husband, I also stated that it make more sense that he is the that should make the move to Portland as there is a higher likelihood of him being traded given he doesn't have the star power as Morgan.

All of this is just mindless speculation by the way but when listening to the speech by Canetti during the introduction of the dash, I found it interesting the amount of time he name-dropped Morgan which left me with the feeling that they had a close working relationship which goes beyond her husband playing for houston. Well either that or it was a careful marketing ploy to get fans talking.

JC507 repped this.
  5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's funny, I thought the same thing. Even though they met in college, still...she can do better then a bench player.

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :confused:

She's only had one good year 2012 and a lot of Gorilla Marketing pushing it. It's not like she has been doing it year - year.

7. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    #32 FawcettFan14, Dec 14, 2013
    Wow hopefully you guys are joking. Maybe genuine fondness and compatibility (and looks; let's face it, they're both attractive) are more important to Alex in a relationship than finding some egotistical, all-star fame hound. For God's sake they've been together like five years now...it must be going well for them. I absolutely *hate* when people whip out the "can do better" phrase when appraising the relationship choices of others (unless it's your clueless girlfriend about to marry some abusive jerk or something), as if they were a better judge of things than the person actually in the relationship.

As for the professional side, it'll be interesting to see, from a sociological angle, if one of them gets traded (Servando to Timbers, or Alex to Dash). Alex is the more well-known by far and the more integral to her team, but historically gender roles have meant that women more often make career concessions for their relationships than men do, if there is an impasse between the two. Maybe we've progressed beyond that point now? Or maybe it's moot, and they'll figure out how to make it work living in separate cities for part of the year.

redinthemorning repped this.
  8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #33 MRAD12, Dec 14, 2013
    First of all newsouth, I go to a lot of USWNT games around the country and I see the US jersey's going into the stadium. Overwhelmingly in the last couple of years they say "MORGAN" on the back. In fact I had a discussion with a soccer mom about this subject at the NCAA's last weekend in Cary, NC and she even made a comment that Alex Morgan is what every soccer dad wants his daughter to look like and be like. She IS that popular newsouth, and getting more and more with each game. When it comes to women's soccer, and you know this, in this country, it's not always all about the game but also as I call it, "cult of personality".
    When I was at the Orlando vs. Brazil game a few weeks ago, I actually asked people if they would buy season tickets to a women's pro team in Orlando seeing the huge crowd that was at that game. Overwhelmingly said probably not. IMO, they were there mostly see and take their kids to see Hope Solo, Alex Morgan and Wambach and the popularity of the USWNT.

In my opinion, where in the men's game people mostly go to see soccer, with the women they go to see the "stars" first and soccer is second. And Morgan is a star they want to see. It is what it is. Just my opinions.

And Fawcettfan14, I personally don't care who dates who as far as people in the public eye, and that's what she is now as a pro, in the public eye, but as WPS_Movement likes to funnily, outlandishly make fantasy comments sometimes I thought his comment was funny as the thought crossed my mind as well - funny like that.

I do wish them happiness though.

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    #34 Romario'sgurl, Dec 14, 2013
    ^^^
    I don't know how many times you're going to tell us that everybody wants to be Alex Morgan. :rolleyes: Talk about "cult of personality"...

Anyway, I walked into a relatively new Dicks Sporting Goods store not too long ago. It's a huge store with overpriced stuff--but I had a coupon. Anyway, when you enter the store, the first images seen are large posters of that sexy, red-headed Mexican, Canelo Alvarez and Sloane Stephens. To the right, the entire wall nearly covered with a beautiful action shot of Serena. However, directly below that picture was a very flattering image of Sydney. It wasn't until I walked to the back of the store and turned around to see a very small picture of AM--you know, the most popular athlete in the world...I ain't throwing shade, bc AM doesn't bother me; that experience just countered much of what we are constantly told around these parts.

As far as the fiancé goes: he's a cutie--very good looking kid. I can see the attraction. Who cares about his MLS status....she could have ended up with a big name, who's unfortunate looking--how dreadful. The girl should get what she wants. Good for her. :thumbsup:

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    - OK....Alex Carrasco...there is less chance of her changing her name than there is her going to Houston
    - Merritt Paulson....that one of the owners cant tell u how many allocated players there will be in December tells u everything u need to know about this league.
    - Morgan - throw out everything else about Portland and it's still a better place to play soccer because of the weather. It's going to Morgan one game in Houston this year to figure that out if she already hasnt.
    - The league has no leverage on Morgan. If she doesnt like the situation after this year she simply goes and plays in Europe for Schelin type money. What's the USSF response...ur off the national team...yeah, right. That being said the only place I think Morgan prefers over Portland would be a Galaxy backed LA franchise.

11. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I like Alex Carrasco, myself. :coffee: Has a nice ring to it. As long as she plays well, the name won't be a problem.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

His parents are Mexican, and he grew up in Tijuana.

The proper Hispanic naming convention would register her as Alex Morgan de Carrasco, and in everyday use she would be properly still be addressed as Alex Morgan.

13. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I knew this already...............

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  14. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The name Alex Morgan is now a recognizable brand. Even if she hyphenates/changes/adds "de Carrasco" to her last name legally (not a given anymore), I bet she keeps using Morgan professionally.

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Romario'sgurl,
    I may repeat myself again sometime. If you don't like it, don't read it. Put me on your block list or whatever it's called.

Just a question, do you get sensitive when the subject matter borderlines or involves race/nationality and feel you have to balance discussions/points of view??

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    No.

17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Alex lives the celebrity lifestyle.
    She needs to marry a more celebrity husband. He's just not celebrity enough.
    Celebrity couples aren't about love, they're about publicity and fame.

18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't referring to Press and Ohai as good acquisitions for the Dash/Lokomotiv. I was thinking of them as potentially fair trade consideration for Morgan, if the involved owners think Morgan to Houston would be really important for the league. (That's a big "if.")

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Portland would be silly not to trade Morgan for Press and Ohai.
    That's 2-for-1, and Ohai is the difference for them.
    Press-Sinclair is at least as good as Morgan-Sinclair, as a duo, as Press-Sinclair would form better team chemistry.
    Ohai could play up and down the field from her wing position, and do everything for that Thorns team.

Portland's team would look like this, after the trade, and it would be better than Seattle's roster.

Portland Thorns? (2014)
    F - Christen Press, Christine Sinclair, Tiffany Weimer, Jessica McDonald
    MF - Kealia Ohai, Tobin Heath, Mana Shim, Allie Long, Angie Kerr, Becky Edwards, Amber Brooks, Courtney Wetzel
    D - Rebecca Moros, Nikki Marshall, Tina Ellertson, Rachel Buehler, Kat Williamson, Amanda Frisbie?
    GK - Karina LeBlanc, Rookie Goalkeeper?

*Assuming they lose Nikki Washington in the expansion draft

They may even sign a top international.

20. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Carrasco? I don't think she wants to sound like a Mexican man...

WPSMovement has a point though, she could have banged a bigger name like Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey or Jozy Altidore. Not some reserve Mexican benchwarmer on a stupid MLS team that nobody cares about.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that's funny. Or like a Hollywood movie star. Where did I read that some movie star wrote on his twitter that he is heartbroken because she got engaged?

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I actually like to put Carrasco sauce on my Mexican food.
    It's really spicy and has a nice peppery flavor.
    It's really good on fajitas too.
    But if I were a women's soccer player, I would never marry that bottle of sauce.
    She'll be eating spicy food every meal with him.
    At least we'll know what kind of gift to get her for Christmas (moist wet naps).

23. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Her sponsors and USSoccer have leverage. Like I said, she had one exceptional year and a lot of Gorilla Marketing. And she knows it better than anyone. Go play with Europe. The two in the wings are of equal talent and skill. She isn't going anywhere like Wambach, but it's good fan debate.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Ya mean theyll stop her just like they did Rapinoe.

25. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You can't really be comparing the marketing behind Pinoe vs Morgan or even Solo or Wambach. There's a reason why the latter 3 can't find Europe on a map. The mid-fielders on the NT are a dime-a-dozen. There's no REAL brand among them unless you are a fan who follows the team around the country and 24/7/365.