The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    You spelt ridiculous wrong.

2. ADiSKOTEC

ADiSKOTEC Ketchup Factory

Dec 3, 2010
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  3. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Thats awesome Stu. :D

4. ADiSKOTEC

ADiSKOTEC Ketchup Factory

Dec 3, 2010
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hehehe thanks.

5. kimchipride

kimchipride Member

Real Madrid
    South Korea
    Aug 22, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Varane is our mightiest young prospect. For being able to play in L1 and La Liga at his age is truly amazing. For sure he'll become a Real Madrid legend.

Would he be considered as a homegrown player or no?

6. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I believe so...I believe it's three years before the age of 21 or something along those lines.

7. Halycon

Halycon Member+

Aug 24, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How can he be considered homegrown, if he has never played in the cantera? So no.

8. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Being labeled as "homegrown" as per UEFA's guidelines (which I'm pretty sure the OP was referencing) has nothing to do with playing in the cantera :rolleyes:

Nonetheless I think we signed him a few months too late to be considered homegrown anyway.

9. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I have never been able to find out how the rules should be interpreted. Does three years equal three seasons? If not when does a season begin and end?

Before the end of the season during which he turns 21 (2013/14), Varane could have completed 3 years training with us (2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14).

The only way for him to not count as homegrown really is if the rules are to be interpreted the way that he was bought/presented/registered at a later calendar day than the 2013/14 season is defined to end on.

10. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Its his 19th birthday today.

HB Varane!

11. rhexis07

rhexis07 Member+

Jan 24, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I think he will be home-grown. Well, that's what Football Manager 2012 says. :eek:

Though if it is counting by the number of years he has to be training with us before he reaches the age of 21, we seem to be a few months late.

His birthday is 24th April, he signed for us on 27th June, so he is already 18 Years and 2 Months of age. Meh. I don't know. Guess we'll just have to wait another 2 years to see. Lol.

12. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    The way i understand it is that he will NOT be homegrown. We missed by a few months. There was some confusion about this though. I think Qui seemed to be sure about it.

But it doesn't matter. We've got a jewel on our hands. Just gotta polish him so that he can shine. Can't believe he's so young yet so mature.

13. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    This is what I said.

14. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    Well, well wasn't it nice to see Silky Johnson show a bit of "bite" yesterday? Based on his response to Martinez coming at Ronaldo I'd say he has manged to integrate himself quite nicely into the team, sweet baby :D

15. Vilmar

Vilmar Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Care to elaborate?

16. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
  17. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane's interview with Marca.

raven3k and Holofernes the pedant repped this.
  18. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    My word, the child is all legs :D

Style repped this.
  19. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    He was amazing. Our only other CB to have that dominant performance against Barcelona in recent years is Pepe. Ramos has never played anywhere near this well against Barcelona.

He is starting XI material already; and one of Pepe or Ramos needs to hit the bench. I would love to see a Pepe - Varane partnership.

Don Nino El Dios repped this.
  20. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Amazing game from a truly exciting prospect. Played like a DON.

21. Don Nino El Dios

Don Nino El Dios Proud to be White

Mar 30, 2008
    La Casa Blanca
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, Pepe--Varane in the middle is mouthwatering. In any case, a legend was born today in this CdR Clásico, and that legend's name is Raphael Varane. Quote me on that, I've seen enough. At 19, shit ain't coincidence, and he's as cool as the other side of the pillow.

EDIT: And fast as a mofo, I might add. He totally smoked Messi in a foot race for the ball. And tall as hell. Dude's a beast, and great with the ball. Where's his downside?

toshmine and anticule repped this.
  22. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Ah, if only someone foresaw this and in fact asked for this weeks ago...

Ah, it's lovely when haters are silenced. :D

-Fifth CharM- repped this.
  23. anticule

anticule Member+

Feb 17, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    after today ..? : D

Calm is a understatement. For the first time I felt ok with one of the CB's going up against Messi.

24. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Guys, does anyone happen to have a stat of all the results in games which he started?

25. Vector-SS

Vector-SS Member+

Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess he wasn't toying around when he first showed up donning that "fabulous" t-shirt.