The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. -Reivax-

-Reivax- Member+

Aug 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane still has plenty of room for improvement, but he's been impressive for a CB his age. A true diamond in the rough :)

2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He did that the day he signed for us. They hailed him as the Next Hierro on their cover page. Anyways, huge prospect. Very neat defender and reminds me of young Nesta. I like such players who makes defending very elegant to watch.

3. WhiteBlood

WhiteBlood BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2006
    Kuwait
    Toss him in, it worked for Ramos.. I think :p

4. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

2 people repped this.
  5. Style

Style Member+

May 8, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope one day he becomes the worlds best defender. Cules can say they have Messi, and we'll say we got our legend Varane.

Those stats indeed got me jumping on the Varane hype train.

6. therealrealfan

Jun 12, 2011
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was just randomly going through the Real Madrid website, and I uncovered this: Varane has never been called up to represent the French senior squad so far.

Making him only the fourth such player from the current squad who has never been a member of a senior national team.
    The other three are callejon, adan and granero.

7. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    He plays for the U21s regularly.

Seeing how this time last year he had only played a hand full of mins on a professional level you can expect him to spend some time in the U21s before making the jump to the full squad.

8. Benz09

Benz09 Member

Apr 11, 2011
    With your mom
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ^i'd prefer if he stayed with the under 21's for this year at least. I still feel he's not ready to deal with the pressure of the national team whilst trying to grow here at Madrid. Especially with the euros coming up. If nurtured properly and we don't hasten his development, this guy can become at least a consistent performer.

9. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Answering questions in Spanish already.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH1iX9tCunY"]Varane: "Me gustaría marcar más goles" - YouTube[/ame]

10. halamadrid00

halamadrid00 Red Card

Aug 2, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To me, he just looks like a true professional who gets his head down, doesn't moan and just gets on with football.

I hope, just hope he becomes for us what Maldini is to Milan in the years to come.

11. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Just brillz, Silky Johnson doing things the right way. I remember another youngun' that didn't set a foot wrong and has since become the embodiment of true Madridsmo....;)

12. ADiSKOTEC

ADiSKOTEC Ketchup Factory

Dec 3, 2010
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    El Fabuloso habla espanol!

13. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Better than Phil Jones, Chris Smalling etc etc..

14. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    While that might ultimately prove to be true I'm not sure how you can make this sort of statement as Varane hasn't played as much footy as either of those players nor in games of the magnitude they've played in where the pressure would undoubtedly be higher and the players lack of experience more telling than getting a runout against Granada at home or CL games after the team has comfortably qualified for the knockout stages.

All three of them are still just really learning their footballing alphabet, to label one as "better" at this point in their development is a bit premature IMO. Although I will say aesthetically I like Varane's silky, almost stylish approach to playing the CB position better than Jones or Smalling.

15. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think they are learning football alphabets, but they have very little experience. Varane played limited amount of minutes (compared to Jones for example), but he looked very promising. That matters more than him being better than other young talents else where. I hope he gets more playing time, and let's see how he develops.

16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    While i agree, i think there are there are some basic skills that you can judge by watching a player a few times.

I don't know what Jones did at Blackburn for Manchester United to pay over 16 million euro for him. He's chasing after every ball, even the ones he should comfortably be playing. Looking into Jones' profile, he is represented by the same guy that sold that Henderson guy to Liverpool for just as much. :D

Smalling looks like a comfortable and a dependable defender from what i've seen.

17. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    They both lack a certain air of 'fabulous' that emanates from Varane every time he steps foot on the pitch.

18. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    I don't doubt his "fabulousness" (especially since he opted to rid himself of those whack ass braids) just a bit nervous about declaring him "better" than anyone just yet (even Jones) especially since right now criteria folks are using is a bit skewed in his favor.

19. Kasoul

Kasoul Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Varane is much better on the ball than both those players mentioned imo. Defensively he hasn't been tested a lot, but he is still young and if he keeps working hard he'll turn out to be a great player in a few years time.

20. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Varane is a huge aerial threat on set pieces.

21. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Bring back the hair, Rafael.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. mymy33

Aug 15, 2007
    **Shudders**

23. Benz09

Benz09 Member

Apr 11, 2011
    With your mom
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    In football, i could care less how he looks, so long as he keeps making strides.

24. razingtonbear

razingtonbear Member+

Aug 8, 2007
    If he brings back that look, I'm boycotting any nice comments I may have about him, and will simply slate him and his performances, based on that haircut.

25. Hsain85

Hsain85 Member+

Mar 28, 2006
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He looks awesome there.