The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

The new kit looks fantastic.

2. Achillean

Achillean Member

Apr 13, 2005
    what.....no poll?

3. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I've never seen him play so I can't judge his quality. I hope he lives up to that potential that everyone seems to be raving about.

[RANT] I'll be the first to say this. I was perfectly happy with Albiol and Garay and I hope this isn't a signing just to please Zidane and I really hope it's not to compensate him for the loss of another favourite of his in favour of Florentino's flavour of the month. :mad: [/RANT]

I hope he lives up to his potential. :eek:

4. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    The first today maybe or in this thread but this sentiment has been echoed for awhile in the transfer thread, better luck next time being first though ;)

5. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    No one has voiced concern over this being a Zidane signing or the possibility that it's to compensate him.

6. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The kid has gotten rave reviews from all who have seen him, and as for "compensating" Zidane, why would we have to do that? He was brought in to find talent and to schmooze with folks to grease the wheels on potential deals and such....wouldn't this signing mean he's doing what we brought him in to do/

7. Alma Merengue

Alma Merengue Member+

May 5, 2005
    Zidane is a club employee, no? Isn't he compensated regardless? I don't know that he gets a slice of any transfer. On the other hand, someone like Ronaldo (the original) might get something thrown his way if he helps push Neymar our way.

Now, could it be a political maneuver to appease Zidane? Maybe. Some have said that Mourinho would let him have a player or two to build a strong relationship. That said, the reviews this kid has gotten are pretty strong. I think the fact that he was being pursued by Man U is telling as well.

I caught a bit of a Spanish program online and they brought in a Ligue 1 expert to discuss Varane; his reviews on the kid were ... let's say ... "fabulous." The question is, can he make the jump to first team football at Real Madrid or does he need some time elsewhere? But there appears to be consensus on his potential.

8. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    I didn't mean compensation in a monetary way. Neither am I doubting the reviews Varane is getting.

Zidane was recently appointed sporting director, but it's hard to see what has changed with his new title both in the definition "being more involved with the first team and travelling with the team both in the league and in the UCL" and in practise with him recommending the French speaking players to Uncle Flo.

9. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When did that happen? Isnt Pardeza the sporting director?

10. ADiSKOTEC

ADiSKOTEC Ketchup Factory

Dec 3, 2010
    Burbank, CA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope I see our new signings in the preseason games. I think I saw Ozil and Di Maria last year in Pasadena.
    I'm guessing Varane will be a backup to the maturing Carvalho and Raul Albiol the #3 cb option. No, I'm not a fan of Albiol...can you tell?

11. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    If Varane is as good as advertised it won't take much for him to take Albiol's place. It's not like Mourinho has shown himself to be high on Albiol.

On a serious note, Pepe seems to have his "off time" each season and Carvalho is older (shocking he played as much as he did last year); Varane will definitely have his shot. Of course some would have you believe he won't, when the facts say otherwise.

1 person likes this.
  12. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Zizou isn't the sporting director, is he?

I don't think he has such an influence that transfers would be done just to appease him. At least not with Jose around. He surely wouldn't stand for it.

13. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    http://www.marca.com/2011/05/26/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1306388154.html

I hope he doesn't, Shay. But Uncle Flo has his favourites and he is known to spoil them. And now all of a sudden even Ronaldo has a role at the club.

I just hope Varane wasn't a "political purchase".

14. AriGold

AriGold Member+

Jul 13, 2007
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think us having Zidane and Ronaldo help with transfers is a good thing. Many young footballers will have a hard time saying no when they enter the room.

15. blanc

blanc Member

Jan 13, 2006
    Los Galácticos
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

Like a boss.

16. MadridOzil

MadridOzil Member+

Jun 6, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Zidane has picked out a superb gem in Varane.. again tonight he was impressive, still young and can improve certain aspects of his game.. but his potential is exciting and can be huge for us if managed properly.

17. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    That last ditch tackle showed some of his prowess. What a fantastic talent.

Gracias Zizou. Now lets get Hazard here as well since Zizou recommended him as well. :D

18. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Looked a little nervous at the beginning, but Carvalho wasn't imposing himself either so it seemed obvious. His confidence grew as time passed by and put on a great game. He should start the next game, he should be rewarded for his good performances especially with Carvalho not so convincing.

19. JRisAGalactico

Mar 10, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    impressive thus far, pleased with the purchase and excited to see further development.

20. therealrealfan

Jun 12, 2011
    India
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with all of this. I think he's going to be a main stay CB in RM for a very long time. I'm looking at Varane playing for a period of next 8-10 years.

Our best signing this summer.

21. Predatorz redded

Predatorz redded Red Card

Sep 25, 2011
    He hasn't made a foul in 270 minutes = 3 full matches.

:eek:

22. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Woah!!! That true? Where did you get that from?

23. Predatorz redded

Predatorz redded Red Card

Sep 25, 2011
  24. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Impressive :)

25. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Making the Marca cover already? Dude gotta hit the bench for a bit, lets not got too ahead of ourselves.