The Official Welcome Raphael "The Fabulous" Varane Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Vector-SS, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'd say it's less dangerous than allowing the injury more than adequate time to heal and rehab. That's especially if he's not needed in this squad barring a potential injury. There's no need to play him against Levante or Malaga when Nacho is adequate enough.

Of course we don't have an obligation to the FFF. The reality is that we have very little say when it comes to Varane's desire to play in the WC.

Coming from someone who's had reconstructive ACL and meniscus surgery, more rest and rehab isn't a bad thing.

2. Zidane05

Zidane05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Toronto
    I don't know if that was a misunderstanding by the media, or Carlo just said it wrong. What he was probably trying to get at is that he wouldn't be able to play twice in three days right away.

Plus the dude running the show knows a thing or two about knee injuries and coming back too soon from them.

More rest may be not a bad thing, but throwing him into a tournament like the WC after resting him for 6 months certainly is. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

temesgen repped this.
  3. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    I was thinking the same thing this weekend, granted its hard to put yourself in some else's shoes but 'if I were him' I'd think about my career over the next 10 years and really take a hard look at if the WC this summer is the best idea. I respect his decisions either way and I wish him the best but most of all want to see him have a career in football that is determined by ability not by injuries which are beyond his control.

4. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Surgery fixed Kaka's knee, but it took away his physical edge. Varane has had a surgery already (was it just one? not sure) and there are still constant inflammations and concerns over the state of his knees. I would like it if he missed the World Cup, but I wouldn't really blame him if he wants to play - after all it is the World Cup. His knees need to be fixed however once and for all, resting him is not a sustainable solution IMO.

5. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    You realize no one is saying resting him is a sustainable solution right?

And surgery didn't take away Kaka's physical edge, a rushed recovery did that....

6. sleepyvato50

sleepyvato50 Member+

Feb 11, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

Varane and his girlfriend. :thumbsup:

Anon., trts, Lyra and 9 others repped this.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    She looks cute.

8. Subtractam

Subtractam Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    slayaaaa

Chinky24 repped this.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What's up with his haircut?

Madrid_1902 repped this.
  10. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    He has a Mohawk! Rawr!

Chinky24 and YOUNGSTARS87 repped this.
  11. Eddie

Eddie Member+

Oct 19, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It looks like 50% of a Mohawk :D. For a moment i thought he went for the Benzema look.

RMSocrates repped this.
  12. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not the Benzema mop again:(

13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Probably making fun of Simeone's struggles. :ROFLMAO:

Eddie repped this.
  14. hala_madrid722

hala_madrid722 Member+

Jan 10, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    poor cholo :(

[​IMG]

15. trts

trts Member+

Feb 3, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yes, but she looks way older than him.

Excape Goat repped this.
  16. nicafornica

nicafornica Member+

Jun 7, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i thought it was his mom.

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WTF, you serious? :ROFLMAO:

halamadrid00 and Eddie repped this.
  18. Complex23

Complex23 Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    doesn't matter, i'd hit it

19. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane was hospitalized in Ribeirão Preto. Received a knock to the head during the game, tarted to feel the first symptoms while traveling.

He spent the night in hospital and was discharged this morning. He didn't train today. -espn

20. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Varane played 5 games [390 minutes] in this World Cup and committed ZERO fouls.

May be it was the quality of the cross, but he lost that header to Hummels. Costly.

Deep Pal repped this.
  21. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    he did just come out of a hospital.... so he can be forgiven

22. Chinky24

Chinky24 Member+

Real Madrid
    Dec 26, 2004
    Nashville
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [​IMG]

raul_elmatador repped this.
  23. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising Member+

Jan 4, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #398 Phoenix Rising, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
    Maybe this is just me but I'm not impressed by that stat. Him not committing any fouls can also be taken as a sign of his naivety and inexperience. I'd be happier to see him make whatever fouls he needed to make in order to prevent goals from being scored or goal scoring opportunities from coming up. The art of intimidation is also something that Varane needs to develop, IMO. That 4-1 loss to Dortmund was as much due to Varane's inexperience as anything Pepe did or didn't do.

24. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    So it's Varane's fault Pepe was getting destroyed one-on-one?

BTW, that Hummels goal was a foul. Dude pushes Varane out the way with both hands to head that ball. I've seen Sergio Ramos headers with far less contact removed. One this season.

25. mymy33

mymy33 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    It wasn't Varane's fault Pepe was being destroyed one-on-one, at the end of the day as a defender you have to hold your own in those "battles" at the very least not losing every single one of them like Pepe did that night but it was in fact Varane's naivete at certain times which put Pepe into those situations. H showed the same sort of naivete on Sergio's og against against Manchester and a bit during the Juve tie to name a few other times. Developing the "art of intimiddation" is overkill though, it's simply not who he is if you ask me. He simply needs more experience as some of these "lessons" and tricks of the trade are only learned with time. Varane is wonderful though and I think this season we could really see some big leaps in his development if he stays healthy.

Phoenix Rising and Digital repped this.