The Official Victor Bernárdez thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 28, 2011.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Re: How good is Bernardez

Very good.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

Your FO should forget about South American center backs and make a trade with the Quakes for Nana Attakora. And no, we wouldn't take Ryan Johnson for him. :)

3. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Bernardez is just a flat out better quality player than Aceval. Aceval never played outside of Chile and only has 1 int'l cap. Bernardez was a starter for Anderlecht in 09-10 the year it won the Belgian championship, won its Europa league group that included Ajax, and advanced to the round of 16 only to barely lose to hamburg 6-5 aggregate. He also saw significant minutes at the 2010 world cup and in WC2010 qualifying for Honduras. He also was a starter for Honduras's 2011 Gold Cup team that advanced to the semifinals and was eliminated by Mexico 2-0 (their defense fared better against Mexico than USA's in that tournament).

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

And Honduras have plenty more of where that came from if you know what I mean ;) :D

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you from the Secret Service by any chance?

6. DavemTFC

DavemTFC Member

Apr 4, 2012
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Wow, really good pick-up for you guys then. Do you know the range of how high his salary is by any chance?

Attakora's an enigma. He was solid for us until he left but ever since he's really started to suck. His distribution was always terrible, but he used to be able to make up for it by defending half-competently. Poor guy seems lost now...
    As for Johnson, he's amazing...for now. Didn't he start off really well with you guys and then run out of gas?

7. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Yeah, he was good in 08 and 09, started in midfield, became a striker, and ended up with a total of 16 goals and 3 assists between the two years. After that he still got assists but his scoring became almost nonexistent. He got 1 goal and 10 assists between 10 and 11. He was still useful wide left when we traded him but he couldn't score at all anymore.

8. soccersonoma10

Apr 26, 2007

I miss RJ. He made a lot happen solely because of his hard work. He certainly didnt have the best touch, nor was he the best finisher. But the combo of hard work and pace is often overlooked, and can often yield results

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we'll be without Chris Wondolowski for a while as well. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Signs of 2011.......

Hope Wondo doesn't get the funk he had last year after he came from national team duty...

13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's already in it... Maybe this will snap him out

14. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully he won't get hurt again during the World Cup Qualifiers. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

16. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that what we've been seeing since he went down?

markmcf8 and hc897 repped this.
  17. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. What? Nice to know that Bernardez is at least healthy enough to get called up!

18. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Geez - Wondo goes two games without scoring (but gets an assist) and you say he's in a funk? Tough crowd!

As for Bernardez, while I always want guys to get chances with their national team, it's frustrating for him to get called away just when he was going to be able to train with the team and get integrated back into the lineup. Hopefully the positive side is that he gets some playing time against good competition and he comes back ready to start for the Quakes.

QuietType repped this.
  19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is a tough one. One one hand, you have the fact that he's been out and hasn't been contributing due to injury, so for the Quakes to carry on without him for a little while longer doesn't seem to be that big a deal, especially since he should come back in better shape to contribute. In the other hand, there's the fact that our defense has been amazingly worse since he's been out, and even if he's not quite 100%, he still might be a better option than the Ike-Hernandez pairing, and losing him to his national team hurts the Quakes in the short term.

I don't think he'll be away for that long and it might not really effect many matches since the MLS season is going into such a long break. I don't know the international schedule, however, so I'd have to look it up. I don't really expect him to play Sunday, so it probably won't really matter much.

20. quakesfollower

Oct 10, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Bernardez shouldn't miss any MLS matches - he doesn't leave until after Sunday, and the WCQs finish before the Quakes play another MLS match. He will miss the Open Cup matches this coming week, and the following week (if the Quakes win the first one). But the concern is if he's really healthy enough to play, or if this could reinjure him. From what I've read he's been practicing all week with the Quakes, and Yallop is planning to at least have him on the bench Sunday, if not play him. So he sounds ready to play, this could really be a good chance for him to get back matchfit. Honduras plays a friendly against El Salvador on Saturday June 2, and then has their WCQ matches on June 8 and June 12, just like the US. So Victor wouldn't be playing in a match with Honduras for another week, so he has time to continue to heal before he plays.

I see this as a good thing - Victor and the Quakes must be confident that he's healthy, and Honduras recognizing how well he's playing can only give Bernardez more confidence. Players can get hurt in training just as much as they can get hurt in a match, so worrying about him getting injured is probably a waste of time. It might happen, but it also might happen in a Quakes Open Cup match or training session.

I would think that if Chavez stays healthy and keeps playing well he could get called into Honduras later this year as well.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    El Muma is going to be playing for a starting spot during these two qualifiers. Osman Chavez is hurt for these first two, but when he recovers he'll be the undisputed starter. Question is though, who will be his partner??? This will be an audition for Johnny Leveron the promising youngster and El Muma the experience veteran. Watch out for youngster Jose Velasquez.. he can possibly take someones spot if he has a good campaign with the U-23. Muma has to be on his A-Game. He's not irreplaceable.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  23. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Do you think Marvin Chavez has a chance to get called in later this year when he's fully healthy? I know he was called in last year when he was with Dallas but turned it down, hopefully that didn't kill his chances for the future. I didn't see him that much in Dallas, but when he's been healthy this year he looks better than I remember him from last year.

Thanks for the info on Bernardez, it could be tough for him as he hasn't played in 2 months. And Honduras comes right out the gate with a tough match against Panama in qualifying.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    His position is deep, but if it was up to me he would be a starter due to his great form here in SJ. Unfortunately for him tho, Emilio Izaguirre of Celtic and Oscar Boniek Garcia of Olimpia are just on another level. He'll get called-up for the next set of qualifiers imo.

25. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just look at his face as chances are squandered by him or don't even appear because someone else doesn't make the pass that gives him the chance.

He looks to me like he thinks he's in a funk. :eek:

It could be really hard to watch if he comes back from this 5 game US stint with any hint of frustration. :cautious: