The Official Victor Bernárdez thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 28, 2011.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And right behind Bernardez is Bobby Burling!

Is this castrol index really worth anything? Just wondering...

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think it's based on alphabetical order, starting with center backs.

3. Stereolab

Stereolab BigSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bernardez's salary is really criminal.

6. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Well, Hernandez was overpaid, surely, but not dumping him makes sense in terms of him being an experienced defender whose salary was guaranteed, and thus not worth voiding for the sake of a roster spot. In terms of his contributions, though, yes, he has not earned that figure even with his successful run of games last season.

7. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't understand what you are saying. The salary guarantee benefits the player, not the club. Had Doyle planned properly and the ownership were willing to spend a bit of money, Hernandez could have had his guaranteed contract bought out, freeing up enough cap space to keep Beita. Even without Hernandez we already have 3 reserve CBs on the roster and if at least one of them isn't ready to step up in an emergency then someone is doing something wrong.

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think buying out the contract would have been the best move whether his salary was off the cap or not considering two starting center backs are expected to be away at various times for national team duty. He's a big cap hit, but he was before this season as well so I don't think that was the biggest factor in whether or not Beitashour re-signed. It seems there were other circumstances that led to their departures as well.

It is interesting that Quakes center backs seem to be among the best compensated on the team. I'm not particularly bothered by it, but even Bernardez at his salary is above most of the guys. Then again, the core of the defense is also basically the oldest unit as well.

9. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wasn't Hernandez a starter until Goodson came on board late last season?

10. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    he was our starter by default.

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...and what we got was more "fault" than "de". :--)

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was de fault of Doyle.

TyffaneeSue, bigdumbgod and QuietType repped this.
  13. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasnt Hernandez the starting CB during the 2012 SS winning season?

14. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah so? He only got 3 clean sheets but did manage to pick up 2 red cards plus an own goal along with his single assist. Compare to Bernardez with 8 clean sheets and 3 goals plus 2 assists.

DotMPP repped this.
  15. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never compared him to Muma. Im just saying that people act like he's done absolutely nothing. We also dont know what goes on behind the scenes, He has good leadership qualities. Not saying I like his contract, but people act like he's the worst thing ever.

16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I agree that the criticism of Hernandez is excessive. He's been a dedicated center back with a bit too high a price tag, and lately he's had some poor performances (after a pretty darn good 2013, really). There are far worse players that money could have been tied up in, but Hernandez' salary alone is not the burden that it gets made out to be.

All of these things get amplified, of course, when you are paying players who can't contribute due to injury. There's been a lot of that the last couple of years. I think that's been the biggest problem. I understand that you can invest less in players who have some injury history, but it's a tight rope to walk. Is the money you save worth the time lost? Is there a way to predict injury possibilities with any accuracy? You can factor in age, of course, but that won't make up 100% of it. When thinking about those types of things I start to wonder about whether injuries are more common in certain positions, if it's better to rotate players around to prevent injuries, lots of different factors come into play and it gets complicated pretty quickly.

17. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He would be okay at a $100k salary but is ridiculously overpaid for a bench depth CB at $210k especially considering Bernardez makes $140k. What other team keeps a bumbling, aging CB on the bench at $210k??? For that matter, what other team keeps 6 CBs on the roster? SIX FRIGGIN' CBs!!! On top of 4 FRIGGIN' TARGET FORWARDS!!! Is it part of a sneaky strategy for the expansion draft?

18. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 of our CB's are leaving for the world cup. And another 2 are prospects. Thank God you're not GM.

19. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And whose fault is that genius?

20. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So he shouldn't sign world cup players :confused:

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #371 Earthshaker, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    The key to success in MLS is to sign players that are better than the average player, but, not so good to where they get called up for any international duty.;)

Quakesss repped this.
  22. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Why don't we have players who can fill in for World Cup absences like several other MLS teams without having to take a big hit to the budget? Muller the gimp is on Doyle, and if Sofia can't step up for a few games as a rookie then that is on Doyle as well. And why do we still have Harden ... a bench decoration? And why did we get rid of Gargan, who could play both CB and RB, and was less than half the price of Hernandez? While we're struggling to field an RB, Gargan is getting starts for the Galaxy. Heck, I would have paid Morrow $200k+ and promised him at least 50% starts rather than keep Hernandez. For that price I would have kept Beita as CB depth over Hernandez. I would have kept Attakora with his concussion issues rather than keep Hernandez. Bottom line, Hernandez is worth no more than $100k even as a starter and the fact we are paying him over $200k to ride the bench is on Doyle.

23. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The key to success in MLS is to maximize the on-field impact of the salary budget and we ain't doing that.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    falvo repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's hope he doesn't get carded in the first game against France!