The Official Tom Sermanni Thread

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by sisterluke, Oct 31, 2012.

1. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Inconsistencies doesn't refer to a single incident. If you wanna keep pointing to one incident repeatly, than we could do that with a ton of players.

2. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm with you 8MaCookies. Boxx is one of those players - she cost us a goal in each of the two Olympic games she played. There are a number of players that could replace her and perform better. Like Mitts, she should leave on her own terms as soon as the victory tour is over.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Was reading a small piece Sermanni did for NSCAA last month. It mentioned his presentation at this weekends conference.
    They only asked him three questions but u gotta love the answer to the second one.

Amen brother.

4. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    Are you with 8MaCookies in "not" holding 1 or 2 mistakes over a player's head or are you with him in doing so?

5. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Agreeing with 8MaCookies on both not holding a single incident over a player's head AND his/her position on Osbourne/Boxx. I was also pointing out the irony of Cliveworshipper's statement.

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  6. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    BrooklynSoccer and Namdynamo repped this.
  7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    come on ussoccer, release the larger list of invited women.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
  9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    What's the Algavre roster...21? So the usual suspects plus three people. I think Engen went last year. Maybe this year she'll have Press to sit with.

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Has Bompastor been rehabilitated with the national team?

12. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To do what? She's not a forward on the USWNT and she hasn't been playing and showcasing her stuff in a spot that she could be looked at (i.e. DM).

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, despite Goebel's high number of goals in INAC and her position on the pitch, the way this Japanese club plays involves a lot of pressure and defensive work from FWs too and most of the FWs (maybe apart from Takase) are more "offensive MFs" than real FWs. I agree that what USWNT needs right now is probably a defensive MF and not an offensive one, but, by actually watching Beverly Goebel play, and not only reading statistics about her, I guess you could say that she showcased most of the stuff that could be useful for a MF role too (some of her DF team-mates at INAC say that she was always going back in her half of the pitch to press on opponent's players even more than she was requested, and she was admired for that).
    I was hoping that Sermanni had took the time to actually watch some games by an US girl playing in one of the highest profile clubs in the world, instead of just reading reports about that...

BrooklynSoccer repped this.
  14. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pressing as a forward for a match is expected of the USWNT forwards too. It's a basic requirement. Goebel's been seen before in the WPS and didn't stand out. It's unfortunate, but actually, I think playing on a club like Kobe makes it harder to take it seriously because of the caliber of players around her. (Whereas Press, for example, was the offensive threat for her team in Sweden.) I'm sure there's competence there, much like I expect Otaki to be fairly competent, but ... in both cases, those stats better be amazingly ridiculous because they're getting so much help from their world class teammates. While the Kobe vs. OL was a close game, I'd say Goebel didn't really make an impression, certainly not enough of one to be considered over Press (the forward she'd be compared against, because there's no question between Alex or Wambach vs. Goebel) or some of the other forwards right on the edge.

DM wise, I'd have liked her to show some shut down defense in the field center to be considered. Pressing and motor is already expected of the players.

blissett repped this.
  15. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Considering the amount of time Sermanni spent in Australia I would think he's much more familiar with the goings on in the Japanese league than in US or Europe. Im sure he has a pretty good opinion of Goebel already. Id also think that a lot of the camp list was based on recommendations he received from Heinrichs, Ellis, Swanson, Montoya & Waldrum.