The Official Steven Lenhart thread: The Next Generation

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think Lenny got a heavy knock in the LA game and I wonder if this didn't perhaps aggravate something that started in the open cup game? Perhaps it's the accumulation of several collisions -- given his playing style it's probably not a surprise. I'm just glad that coaches and players know now to treat these things seriously so that perhaps in the future we'll avoid sad stories like this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-My-memory-s-pretty-much-gone-?urn=nfl-284214

2. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he will sit out the Dallas game...this from Quakes website
    http://www.sjearthquakes.com/news/2012/07/quakes-notes-july-16-2012
    Injury Report
    Out: Sam Garza (Fractured ribs), Joey Gjertsen (R – knee surgery), Steven Lenhart (concussion symptoms), Tim Ward (L – non-specific soft tissue injury); Questionable: Cesar Diaz Pizarro (L – ankle sprain).

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patrick Ianni is a dirty piece of shit. It was revenge for Lenny getting that PK up in Seattle and he's ended up hurting him seriously. I guess those stupid Seattle a-holes didn't learn anything from what happened to Zakuani.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If this guy doesn't get a national team cap, I don't know who would....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those victory crashes into the ground are not a good thing. Possible concussion cause? Time to practice ukemi.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He seems to have a lot of heart in his actions and plays the same way. I don't think we can ask him to stop or hold back who he is or what he does. The man is not of this world and like Gordon, has ice in his veins. I love Lenny, Gordo & Wondo. It was great seeing them altogether for 1/2 hour last night.

8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another Lionhearted goal tonight! The only complaint I had about him was that Betty Hutton hairdo.

I know that reference dates me, but please, someone fix his hair!

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you casting aspersions on Betty Hutton? Watch yourself.

10. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't mess with the chemistry... What ever it is, it's working

11. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I make the suggestion to increase Lenny's chances of competing with Beckham for underwear ads.

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

My 21 yo daughter apparently thought his 'do on Saturday was more reminiscent of Pebbles Flintstone...

[​IMG][​IMG]

mjlee22 repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would love to see Wondo, Gordon & Lenny all on the national team!

14. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Beware the hair!

Since none of our players got a nomination for GOTW, we can at least hop over to mlssoccer and keep Lenny in first place on the hair poll. (Conor Casey? Seriously?)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/extratime

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like Pebbles, plays like Bam-Bam, leaves the other team in Rubble.

mjlee22 and bsman repped this.
  16. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Listened to some of that interview last night. Lenny's personality seems to be about what you'd expect - kind of a laid back surfer dude (and yes, he does surf). Apparently he and Gordon are good friends - both live in Santa Cruz, and they claim that when one scores a goal, the other feels as though they scored it as well. So much for the competition pushing them...

Despite the laid-back surfer dude persona, got a little hint of his competitive fire though when one of the hosts said something like San Jose maybe has a chance to win Supporter's Shield, and Lenny seemed to take issue with that and said something like "First of all, we have a great chance to win Supporter's Shield", etc.

About the hair, he didn't seem to want to talk about it too much, just said something like yeah, the blond afro, not many people have it, and just sort of matter of factly, "I'm rockin' it".

17. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the thing is that he really doesn't think about his hair that much. He just has curly hair, that's what it looks like when it grows out a bit. Comparisons to the hairstyles of Shea and Agudelo are kinda dumb. They cut and style and color theirs. Lenhart's just looks like that naturally.

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That kind of curly hair is not uncommon. Most men just keep it short so there's no chance for ringlets. Back in the day there were a lot of Jewfros among guys I knew.

The color is unusual, though. You don't see many adult with hair, straight or curly, that is so blond. Not naturally, anyway.

bsman repped this.
  19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We always called it an Isro, and I had one for much of the 70s! Still do when I go too long between haircuts...

20. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not grey yet?!?! Lucky Bastard :mad:

21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my buddy ran into them recently at the Mi Puebla market in east palo alto. Lenny and his GF with Gordo and his family in their mini-van.

22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On The most recent Extratime Radio, there is even more discussion about Lenhart and the polarizing effect he has on fans around the league.

Also, they had a head ref on there answering questions about the double red / PK in Montreal. They asked him why were we awarded a PK from Lenhart fouling then Camara, and apparently Camara did something to Lenny before he put his hand in his face, therefore a PK. Meh, still doesn't seem like its justified.

23. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Sort of interesting to look back at this introductory article now after only 20 months:

Steven Lenhart excited to be joining San Jose Earthquakes

By Robert Jonas on Friday, January 14, 2011 · 4 Comments
    [​IMG]
    The San Jose Earthquakes welcome forward Steven Lenhart back to California following a trade with the Columbus Crew. Photo courtesy of Tony Quinn, isiphotos.com.
    It was just another day not unlike the many that make up the MLS offseason for Southern Californian native Steven Lenhart as he was driving home through the streets of Yorba Linda, when his cell phone suddenly rang. On the other end of the line was the Columbus Crew — Lenhart was the “player to be named later” in a trade to the San Jose Earthquakes for allocation money and a first round draft choice that had just been completed in that morning’s MLS Superdraft.
    “I found out just when it happened,” recalled Lenhart as he relaxed on his porch later that afternoon. “I was driving and I got a phone call from the Crew, and then a call from Frank (Yallop) and the coaching staff. And that was kind of it. It really caught me by surprise.”
    However, this was a good surprise for the three-year MLS veteran forward, who revealed he always had that itch to move back to the west coast at some point in his career. Satisfaction with the trade to San Jose was strengthened after hearing of the current wintery weather by his sister back in Ohio. After all, in the Southland the winter meant you might need to wear a long sleeve t-shirt instead of a short sleeve one. A California raised dude like Lenhart was always going to feel that pull to return closer to his roots.
    “I’m excited, man,” said Lenhart, who actually was enjoying the good weather in his Orange County hometown wearing a more summery short sleeve tee and backward cap. “I’m from the west coast so just being out closer to my family and friends and also coming to a good team who did well this last year that has some confidence and is competitive will be fun. I’m really looking forward to it.”
    While the offseason for Lenhart was more about relaxing and recharging his batteries while getting his body back in condition for another summer of soccer, the coaching staff of the San Jose Earthquakes were busy designing moves to help bolster the player roster in preparation for the upcoming season. In the days approaching the 2011 MLS Superdraft, the San Jose Earthquakes personnel brain trust of John Doyle and Frank Yallop were determined to identify a striker that could help the team immediately. They attended the MLS Combine games in Florida to evaluate the potential talent coming out of college and hoped to find a player that it their needs at the 15th pick in the draft’s first round.
    In a noisy conference hall in Baltimore, among representatives from all 18 MLS teams plus a large contingent of chanting fans from across the country, Doyle and Yallop waited as the teams above them methodically made their selections. Yallop recalled that they had made overtures to other teams about trading away their pick, but were hoping to get someone who could make an immediate impact in return. When Real Salt Lake took a time out while deliberating over the 14th pick, the Earthquakes were afforded enough time to come to an agreement with the Columbus Crew.
    “Yes, we were looking for a forward in this draft, whether that came in the first round or not,” said Yallop later that evening. “Steven Lenhart became that forward and he will be ready for the preseason from the beginning. It just made good sense economically to make the trade for our team, instead of using that pick.”
    With the agreement in place, the Crew instead submitted their selection to MLS Commissioner Don Garber, who strode to the podium to announce that Columbus had selected Michigan forward Justin Meram with the 15th overall pick in the 2011 SuperDraft. With most of what was considered a pretty weak draft class already selected, Meram was a logical choice for the Crew, and perhaps would have been the right choice for the Earthquakes if they had kept their pick. Instead, Yallop has a player with MLS experience that can step right into the starting XI if necessary, instead of rookie that leaves that option uncertain.
    “I think Steven Lenhart is a proven player in this league,” answered Yallop when asked to assess the qualities of the newest Quakes forward. “He is very difficult to play against. He’s played very well for Columbus, and every time we played against him, he was a real handful for our defenders. He is dangerous and strong as a forward and has those qualities that I like. When we were able to work out a package to bring him to San Jose, we felt it was a no-brainer for us. He’s a good player that is available for us from day one. I’m very excited about that.”
    [​IMG]
    While with the Columbus Crew, Steven Lenhart proved to be an effective traget forward in matches against the San Jose Earthquakes. Photo courtesy of Joe Nuxoll, centerlinesoccer.com.
    The player was excited by the news he was heading to San Jose; the coach was excited to get a player he has admired during his first years in the league. Like a Christmas present you unwrap already knowing what it is, you still look forward to getting it without the unnecessary surprise of wondering what it might possibly be.
    As Lenhart’s conversation ended with the Crew and the shock of the news really hit him, he turned his attention to what ay in store for him in San Jose. His first call from the Earthquakes came from Yallop, a coach that he knows has a great reputation among MLS players.
    “I’ve heard a lot of great things from guys that have played with him,” said Lenhart, without a hint of hyperbole in his voice. “He seems like a cool dude, and I am eager to get up there and learn from him and get to know him and contribute the best I can.”
    Meanwhile, on the other end of that call, Yallop assured the young striker that he was very much wanted by his new team.
    “I told him that he will really enjoy himself in San Jose,” said Yallop. “We have a fantastic group of players and he will fit in with what we are trying to do here. He is a hard working and honest player that likes to stretch his play in the right direction. Though I usually give limitations to players, when they can move forward and be effective, I let them go.”
    Yallop went on to talk about some of his goals he’ll have for Lenhart in the 2011 season.
    “Steven is a powerful and strong player, and has proven he can play in our physical league,” assessed Yallop. “Hopefully we can get him to the point where he’s playing terrifically well and he’s scoring goals and doing his thing. I think he has a bright future in MLS — remember he is only 24 years old.”
    [​IMG]
    Head Coach Frank Yallop will want to see more scoring production from Steven Lenhart's aerial game in 2011, but will first need to work with the young striker to hone his skills. Photo courtesy of Howard C. Smith, isiphotos.com.
    Indeed, Lenhart is less than two years older than the player he was essentially traded for in Meram, but has three years of invaluable professional experience with the speed and physicality that are the hallmarks of MLS. Lenhart has performed well and scored goals in all competitions — MLS, U.S. Open Cup, and CONCACAF Champions League — since entering the league as the 48th overall draft pick in 2008. For an Earthquakes team that wants to build upon last season’s playoff results and groom a true physical target striker, Lenhart provides a useful piece in the player roster puzzle.
    “I love to battle and work hard and that really comes into play as the target forward,” said the 6’4” tall Lenhart. “You can talk so much about strengths and the way the team is going to be. But most of all I am exciting to be going out there and start training with the team, and doing what I can to fit in with the other forwards.”
    When asked about what he expects of himself in the upcoming season, Lenhart is quick to put the needs of the Earthquakes first and not focus on any individual accomplishments.
    “To be honest, I’m going to put the team first,” said Lenhart. “I want to contribute to the team’s success. Obviously, I’m a forward so scoring goals is one of those things. I think last year I didn’t do as much as I wanted to as far as scoring the amount of goals. So I’d say it’s important for me to become a better finisher. I have high standards, so I am going to push myself to really go for it. As far as a numeric goal, I don’t have anything specific. My priority is to help the team have a good season and push for a championship. I’m committed to doing just that.”
    Of note for a player that often gets more attention for his wild hair than his scoring production, Lenhart is entering the last year on his current four-year deal with MLS and will be playing for a new contract with the league. Signed to the league minimum — currently $40K annually — Lenhart says it’s not all about getting a big pay-day, but about developing his game and becoming a better player and teammate.
    “I’m commited to working hard either way, money or no money,” said Lenhart genuinely. “Soccer is what I’m doing and I want to put my effort toward it. I’m committed to being sharp. Sure, the money is obviously a part of the motivation. More than anything, I am looking forward to getting to San Jose and getting to know everyone there. I’m looking forward to that more than anything.”
    [​IMG]
    The prospects of joining the San Jose Earthquakes are exciting for young forward Steven Lenhart, and he hopes to put together a great 2011 season. Photo courtesy of Joe Nuxoll, centerlinesoccer.com.
    With just 13 goals in his three seasons of limited playing time with the Columbus Crew, Lenhart feels that with the opportunity to play and the right system in place to complement his game, the sky is the limit for how many goals he can score. A year ago, the Earthquakes had another promising player at forward who shared that feeling, and he went on to win the MLS Golden Boot for most goals scored in league play. Coach Yallop is hopeful that whereas Chris Wondolowski enjoyed a breakout last season, Lenhart might repeat that feat in 2011.
    “I do, I think there are goals in this kid this season,” said Yallop. “Hopefully we can help him hone his finishing ability. Sometimes all a striker needs is that confidence and he will really take off. I think you saw that with Chris (Wondolowski) this past season. I think Steven is ready to go and can be something special in San Jose. After his three years in Columbus he’s now joining us and hopefully he can have that Wondo year.”
    If lightning strikes twice at Buck Shaw Stadium and Lenhart becomes this season’s Wondolowski, then the Earthquakes and their fans can expect another great year of soccer in San Jose.

25. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever selected the BGM for this clip is to be congratulated. It sure beats the hell out of most oif the other contributions the music for which is often raucously lame.