The Official Steve Beitashour Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by markmcf8, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Steven is eligible for the Iranian Nats, and I think it would be his first choice.

If he plays like Azizi did for the Iranian Nats, I'd be cool with it.

Ya think?!

Note: The President of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is a dick for certain, but he's also not actually the rule of Iran in the sense that our president is ruler of the USA. (No comments from you Beerking!) President of Iran is a largely ceremonial post without a lot of power, more like the president of Israel or France, but with less political muscle. It's the Ayatollah who hold all the power. The elected official don't really have that much power.

GOOOOOOO QUAAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!
    Fire Frank and JD!!
    FUAEG!!!

- Mark

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a neat article, I appreciated getting to know his history growing up in the area and his Persian/Syrian heritage. A Christian father and Muslim mother, I don't know how that worked out! But glad he's developing as a RB, he's become a better option there than Leitch or Ward.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Interesting that some of the young players that work out the best for the Quakes are the ones with local ties who flew under the radar at a national level. I don't think Wondo or Beta were invited to the MLS Combine. Wondo was a supplemental draft pick from Chico State and Beta was a "who?" MLS superdraft pick IIRC, and a guy who didn't seem to have a very distinguished college career. Baca could be another one, though his ties aren't quite as local and I think the jury is still out on how valuable a player he will be for the Quakes. And I think he was better known nationally.

You could also add BMac to the list, but sadly he's no longer a Quake.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bud, Steven is Assyrian. It's a very different thing from being Syrian, even though they sound very similar. Sorry, that's the history teacher in be being a weasel. But we do want to get these things right. Taking a Syrian flag to the games to support him would probably be the wrong move. :eek:

Wow, a little research tells me that I don't know what flag would be best. An Iranian flag would work, but I see three on the Wikipedia page. We'd have to ask Steven to be a bit more specific about where his dad is from, and exactly which part of the Assyrian people he belongs too. But this is a cool flag.

[​IMG]

No idea where to buy one though! <<Edit: I take that back. Everything is on eBay right?!>>

GOOOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!!!
    GOOOOOOO STEEEEEEVEN!!!!

- Mark

7. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark, the original article yesterday said Syrian, the corrected copy now says Assyrian.
    Our 2008 SSVCF Inaugural Dinner was held at the Assyrian Temple in San Jose. Steven's father was at one time an officer in a State-wide Assyrian organization.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah well damn! I bite my tongue.

I didn't read the article when it first went up, because I'm a busy boy. Sorry about that. And thanks!

Cool flag too, eh?

GO QUAKES!!
    GO STEVEN!!

- Mark

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ? and the Assyrians.:confused:

:p

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow the link in my post, or go to Wikipedia and look up Assyrian People. It's a really long article, but very interesting.

FUAEG and I met one of Steven's uncles after a Quakes game. We were outside The Hut and had pleasant chat with him for several minutes. Pretty funny.

In any case, it's great to see that Beta has become an important member of the team. I am very pleased, both a local guy making good, and because it shows that the draft is valuable and that we have been drafting well.

GO QUAKES!! :D
    GO STEVEN!! :D

- Mark

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a friend who was Assyrian, so, I know something about the people.

12. NorcalSoccerRule

Aug 21, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is there any chance Klinsmann will give Beitashour a look?

13. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the stupid red card he got? No way...

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I read Beitashour was going to play for Iran though I don't think he has been capped yet by them....

15. NorcalSoccerRule

Aug 21, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh yeah...I forgot he was at that game. Probably didn't set the best first impression. Though if he went to a Quakes game at Buck Shaw and witnessed his wingback ability, hopefully it might of changed his mind.

16. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think he has a shot with the US at maybe Camp Cupcake or something. With Cherundolo and Chandler already at RB though there's not much room (not to mention Lichaj and Spector).

17. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Steve's both parents are Iranian. His dad is an ethnic Assyrian, and his mom is an ethnic Persian, both from Iran.

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

So, if he marries a Kurd and his child marries a Bahai, they'll have all the Iranian bases covered?

19. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I REALLY doubt Beitashour would play for Iran. Unless he wants to commit treason...

20. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    :rolleyes:

Playing for your motherland is treason now? Treason or not, he will most likely play for Team Melli in the final round of the WC qualifying. Carlos Queiroz and António Simões have been observing him, Ashkan Dejagah, Agil Etemadi, and Reza Ghoochannejhad, and a few other expat Iranians for some time now, in order to give them a trial for Team Melli. Of those players being scouted outside Iran, Dejagah and Beitashour are the most likely candidates to make the short cut.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A Persian friend of mine who played for the WSA Quakes in 1988 told me if he or his family go back to Iran, they will be arrested and tried for treason. They had escaped right before the revolution in 1976 and never went back. A little sad they can no longer see or visit their homeland.

22. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When Iran is lead by you know who....Yeah it is.

23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oran's Dictionary of the Law (1983) defines treason as "...[a]...citizen's actions to help a foreign government overthrow, make war against, or seriously injure the [parent nation]." In many nations, it is also often considered treason to attempt or conspire to overthrow the government, even if no foreign country is aided or involved by such an endeavour.

How does playing for a soccer team equate to any of the above? Please take this BS to a political thread...

24. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just used google and came up with this, "violation or betrayal of the allegiance that a person owes his sovereign or his country" WHOA!!!!

25. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And exactly what does playing for a team have to do with allegiance? Lots of US-born athletes have played for, been on Olympic teams of, many other countries, and nobody's ever brought that up until you. WHOA!!!! :rolleyes: