The Official Steve Beitashour Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by markmcf8, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beta was great on Saturday. He looked very cool and composed the whole match. He's not perfect, got a ways to go, but he deserves more minutes and he's only going to get better. Wow!

I thought he was a decent signing when we picked him because he plays RB and RM, where we need some help. Also, we knew that Frank and John were high on him, so I was hoping that they knew he was good. He's way better than I was hoping or expecting.

Good on ya Beta!!

Go Quakes!!
    2-1-0 so far!!!

- Mark

3. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This comment has me trying to pick my jaw off the floor...

4. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after the last game vs NE, BETA is now my favorite player!! I hope it isn't too late to jump on board!! FY/JD, job well done in getting young guys that can compete with last year's starters.

5. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pippen & Jordon, Shaq & Kobe, ...., Opara & BETA ;)

Dynasty in the making!! GREAT JOB JD/FY ;)

6. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I'm high off Beta. He's playing so well. Unfortunately, he will probably have some dry spots in his Quakes career just like everybody, but let us not forget how well he's done in the beginning! He's quality!

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been critical of many of FY and JD's decisions since '08. Their drafting Beta was not one of them. Many others on these boards were very critical of the choice. I thought that he played a position of need, and that they had seen him play and requested that he be in the draft. So I was pretty sure that he wouldn't suck.

Frank and John had a good draft, no a Great Draft, this year. Opara and Beta are ready to start now, Morrow at least provides some depth. Ring will be ready to go in the next few weeks. Sure they drafted him the year before, but they didn't give up on him, to their credit. Thomas has gone to Scandinavia, but clearly, he had some skills or he wouldn't have caught on there. (They couldn't have known that he would get a call from a Scandinavian club after they drafted him.)

So I was hopeful before the start of the season. But then in the last few preseason games I saw that Sanchez was on the bench, that we were starting Corrales at left back, that Convey remained in the starting eleven. So I became concerned. Then we really stunk up TheShaw on opening day. So I feared the worst.

This past Saturday gives me hope, but I still expect a terrible season with lots of crazy, head-scratching moves by Frank and JD to come.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

8. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    zaaaah- who?

9. New2sjquakes

New2sjquakes New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Go Beta Go!!!!

Team of the Week: Goalkeeper: Bouna Coundoul (Red Bull New York); Defenders: Steve Beitashour (San Jose), Wilman Conde (Chicago), Omar Gonzalez (L.A. Galaxy), Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (Seattle), Roy Miller (Red Bull New York). Midfielders: Stephane Auvray (Kansas City), Chris Birchall (Los Angeles), Lovel Palmer (Houston). Forwards: Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Brian McBride (Chicago

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/steve_davis/04/19/davis.mlsweek4/index.html#ixzz0lfkpgObG

10. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good to see Beta getting some love from the press.

Zaher, Mike Zaher. And we should still have him because he plays Left Defender, whilst Beta plays Right Defender! It was Jamil Roberts we dumped for Beta. See, Beta's so good, you even forgot who we had ditched for him.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

11. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamil Roberts of the San Jose Academy fame...

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about?! Where do we come up with this stuff?! Jamil went to SCU. He was drafted by FCKD, then traded to us.

What Academy?! We don't have an academy! Not yet anyway.

Go Quakes!! :D

- Mark

13. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He a coach with the academy now, along with Steve Wondolowski.

Guess my post was unclear...

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, yeah, very unclear, that or I'm just getting old. :(

- Mark

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hell.....im gonna be the one to do it

CAP HIM NOW!!! :D:cool:

16. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah! Before the Iranians get him. Sorry, Beta Mom.

17. New2sjquakes

New2sjquakes New Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Go Beta Go!!!!:eek:

18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id have a hard time with it if he represented Iran at this time (or the foreseeable future). Not out of any hate for Iran, or Iranians, but because he would be representing a ruling regime that is incredibly repressive. It would just bother me, if someone in America could look past that.

Again, it would be a different story if he came over at like 10 years old, or if there was a more moderate regime in charge. And I certainly wouldn't begrudge him of feelings kinship and solidarity or being proud of his Iranian heritage. But sport is often used by nationalistic movements for its own ends, and I'm not sure how as an American you could look past the state of political life in Iran at this time.

19. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why it's weird his mom wants this...

20. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the abstract, I dont think its weird. There is probably a strong ethnic link in the family to the old culture, and playing for the national team is an expression of that. As just an idea with no action, I have 0 problem.

I am disappointed with anyone who actually makes that choice and suits up for another, but c'est la vie. I'm ok with Arturo playing for El Salvador, even if he was (more then he was at the time) in the US picture.

Just in this case, given the current ruling regime and its record with its own civilians (and Im completely setting aside US-Iranian tensions) I just have a hard time accepting such a decision as one I can respect.

21. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The change of Beta getting a call up from the Iranian Nats is probably very close to zero. They have their own professional and developmental leagues. They have guys playing in Euro leagues. They won't be looking at Steve, sorry.

This really isn't an issue, so let's not make it one.

The big question here is how will Beta do this weekend? My guess is that his speed helps us on the backline, he combines better with Gjoey and André Luiz than last week, and cements his place in our starting eleven even more securely.

I am so looking forward to this match!!

Go Quakes!! :D
    2-1-0 so far!!!! :D

- Mark

23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't want to make it seem like it was likely. And I totally understand why Steve and his family would at least toy with the idea. Again, I have don't problem with the nation and its people (just its government). I just found the idea of losing a player to Iran under its current regime a discomforting one, and just shared the thoughts regarding that.

Just playing with a hypothetical, and your right, there really is nothing to see here, and things should probably move on.

Edit: On a play related note, I think you could make an argument that Beitashour would have been able to prevent the second and third goals RSL scored in the home opener, as well as avoided a red card. More then once in the last two games Ive seen him use his speed to dip in behind the centerbacks and beat the forward to the ball.

I think you could argue that had it been Beta at right back, he would have beated Espindola to one or possibly both through balls.

24. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, he's still a fairly young guy, and it's not out of the question that he might be playing in Europe one day. But if his career is really going to wind up on that kind of trajectory, it's more likely that he'd get a call-up from U.S. Nats, and he'd probably not want to turn that down.

25. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets see if Beta can stay up w/ Kevin Alston of NE as we go forward. IMO, Alston will be a good measuring stick for Beta.