The Official Simon Dawkins thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 15, 2011.

1. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re: The Official Simon Dawkins thread

i dont think thats the case. the first photo shows him wearing a 2011 puma tottenham home jersey (autonomy is their new sponsor). the second is a training jersey with Mansion as the shirt sponsor, and im sure Mansion hasnt been the sponsor for about a year now

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm counting on his being slight meaning he's agile, quick, shifty and crafty.

3. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you guys expect him to start?

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

OK, maybe he's gone on a diet. :)

The second picture is the one where you can actually get a sense of what his build is. Looks like he visits the weight room, and if anything his upper body looks bigger than that of the average soccer player.

5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me, he did very well (by news accounts) when he was with us training in England, and Khari is still rounding into shape and Sealy is injured

6. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

The question is more like: where is he now?

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"Bring his energy, his busyness, his clean feet". He sounds really exciting....

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

I would caution about expecting too much from Dawkins, especially this soon. Yeah, he's got the Tottenham roots and all, but I think he's just going to be OK to pretty good. Geovanni was much more established, experienced player, and even he was just pretty good to good most of the time during his short time with the Quakes.

I think Dawkins will be an upgrade over Stephenson in some ways (more willing to attack on the ground, more dangerous around the goal), but I think Stephenson is stronger than Dawkins in some areas - using his height and body to hold the ball in the midfield and win headers, very good passing. And I hope I'm wrong, but Dawkins looked a little slow to me when he came in against RSL. Maybe he was being careful with his footing to avoid slipping on the soaked field. Didn't seem to slow down Ellis though.

12. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1. I was being sarcastic. LOL

2. Dawkins might've been slow because he had just gotten off the plane. But I agree, he did not show me any glimpse of being the #10 we need. He seemed like a straight runner with energy and the ability to play the simple pass just like Yallop described him. Doesn't appear to be a diamond in the rough.

13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

Wasn't necessarily directed at you. There have been a bunch of articles making Dawkins out to be the Quakes savior or something. Not going to happen, though hopefully he'll turn out to be a positive contributor.

14. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Agreed.

15. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But, you never know. A couple of years ago nobody thought Wondo would be the savior he turned out to be last year.;)

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

True, you never know. But it took Wondo several years to get his mojo. Dawkins may turn out to be a good or very good player in MLS, but the chances of that happening right away seem slim.

17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because you saw him play 20 minutes in a driving rainstorm less than 24-hrs after a translatlantic flight?

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003

Hey, that's nothing. I could see that Donatelli didn't have the stuff after watching 3 minutes of video :).

I think I let my original point get away from me a bit on Dawkins. I should have written that it's very unlikely that he'd be a "savior" like Wondo right off the bat, as we are sort of being led to believe with the articles that are coming out about him. I think the chances of him being a pretty good MLS player in the short term are pretty good. "Savior / hero" as in Wondo last year - unlikely.

As for "20 minutes in a driving rainstorm..." you can see how a player moves right away, rainstorm or not. Ellis was a lot quicker, and he was playing in the same conditions. A transatlantic flight 20 hours earlier, meh, probably not going to affect the way he moves very much. It would more likely manifest itself in terms of lack of mental sharpness.

19. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Many are always waiting for the Second Coming.

20. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aww Landy, why did you go?

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i want this first trial/loan with Tottenham to work out as it would further enhance our relationship with them and they may be more inclined to do it more often. Wouldnt mind prying off one of those right backs that played against us last year. Townshend in particular impressed the hell out of me. Id love em to loan us a right and left back next year.

22. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Kyle Walker is a stud, but, I bet he will be in Spurs first team before too long.

23. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just wondering if anyone knows of another example of a player like Dawkins, young, on their way up rather than older and on their way down, showing up in MLS? This seems to be something new.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

theres some MLS teams that are doing it with South American clubs; LA, Dallas, Philli, etc. I think we may be the only one with a player from europe. It seems to be unique to us, and this could be a big deal. Could be an exciting alternate option for these young Tottenham players too; experience the US while plying their trade.

and yes Walker will probably be challenging first team soon. Im hoping they got someone similar in the pipeline at either the right or left back spot.

25. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What exactly do you mean? Good, young players coming in from abroad?

Just off the top of my head, Roger Torres, Freddy Montero, Ryan Smith, Juninho...