The Official San Francisco 49ers thread (2014 Season)

Discussion in 'Football' started by Goodsport, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 Goodsport, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    So much ignorance in a mere 7 plus minutes...

6. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #6 Emperor Adriano, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    So much truth in there, we'll see. :D

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    There's zero reason to think Lattimore is not going to fill the young RB role they/he are worried about; that's what he was drafted for, and he's a much greater talent than anyone available on the free agent market. That guy is talking about how long he was out as though he could not have played the second half of the season if there was any need for him to. As they worked it he should come back pretty much at full speed and well rested and healthy.

There's cap room enough to sign the ungodly number of draft choices the Niners are going to have, and no good reason to make any further signings which would be at higher prices than those rookies will cost. This draft is uncommonly deep in WRs-- they don't even have to take one in the first round to address the problem. It is also a terrific draft for developmental dbs-- and both of those depths not only mean that the problem can be addressed in the draft, they also mean there are going to be good players on the waiver wire if draftees don't work out-- as long as the cap money can be found.

Anyone who knows how to watch the position should be aware that Vernon Davis had a terrific year; and I doubt very much that Gabbert's salary is going to create any problems even if they cannot get an extension for Kaepernick before the season starts-- if that happens Kaep will have just turned down more money than Gabbert is making, after all...

Bethea fits the Niners' system much better than the guy he replaces-- that is going to be a modest step up, at least for the next couple of years.

Jonathan Martin is a considerable talent who represents next to no risk if they find they cannot get that level of play out of him; as such his signing was a bit of a coup.

With the possible exception of DeSean Jackson I don't see anyone left on the market who could reasonably be expected to help the Niners; and I think I can guess why the Eagles actually dumped him and what the next team to sign him will be risking (which would involve his not being on the field for a while.)

I can understand this kind of reaction to, say, Oakland's offseason. But you and they are rooting for a team that actually knows what it is doing personnel-wise. Why faint at mice?

The real issues to be concerned about are the injuries that suddenly discovered where the Niners live in the last 18 months; if those turn from rare to chronic, then the cap room thingy will get difficult, because you cannot stop paying Bownman and Willis and Crabtree, and the Smiths, and so on all that easily, and you cannot replace them at low prices without a lot of luck.

8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #8 Emperor Adriano, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    When did I crap on the Bethea signing or the off season in general? I praised it as being pretty good and that I like teams who build through the draft. I just think Seattle is pretty far ahead of you. My co host simply said he thinks Vernon Davis is underachieving with Kaepernick. Vernon Davis has never had a Gronk or Jimmy Graham monster season, I think he is capable. He did have better numbers with Alex Smith and had more impact in the gameplan so that is hardly an ignorant statement. Like I said in the show I expect Kap to get that extension and we both said the 49ers had money to spend. Yes, the draft is deep in wr's but lets not act like the 49ers didn't just miss on a 1st rd wr. Everyone is waiting for wr's in this draft and I think it's smart. I don't think the 49ers should sign Desean Jackson, I've been quite clear on that. I don't think Marcus Latimore can last a whole season or even for 150 carries..

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Tough schedule on paper. But with the NFL teams who are projected good or bad in the offseason can be flipped during the season. The non -divisional home games (5 of them) all look winnable bears, chargers, redskins, kc and eagles.

The 5 non divisional road games are difficult NYG, NO, DAL, Den, Oak, ( only Oakland seems like a slam dunk but with the whole busy area blood feud thing between us an upset can happen)

Add the fact that the NFC west will be a dogfight (6 tough games) I hope the 49ers Can pull of 10 wins.

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    That actually looks to be among the easiest I've ever seen for a previous year's contender. Looks like 12-4 to me, assuming no major cultural issues...

13. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe your overlooking some teams I'm not.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Or you are worrying about teams you shouldn't?

I'm figuring roughly that there 'should" be two losses among Broncos, Seahawks and Seahawks. And two more among Eagles/Chiefs/ Saints/possibly losing all three of the first group. That's four.

Now what usually actually happens with this approach to estimating is: that the team actually loses between 3 and 5 games, and: not necessarily the games estimated Somebody will play or game plan over their heads and/or the Niners will self-destruct some week, so one or two of the losses will actually be in games they "should" win instead of challenging games. But more often than not, one can get pretty close to the actual numbers, if not the actual games.

Occasionally entropy just bites a team and they disintegrate all at once, like the Texans last year...

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    People also said good things about Hyde, Martin and Ellington.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Borland reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, too...

Niners are gonna be trading WR's away in camp this year.

19. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    And runningbacks, too. LaMichael James will be gone this summer, I suppoed. Ellington will do returns,.

20. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I saw the new stadium Levi while at great America this weekend it looks great.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea