The official Sam Garza thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for you, not for him. :)

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    ...same thing that is afflicting Wondo right now I believe. He's kind of blowing the easier shots. His two run-of-play goals this year have been harder chances where there wasn't the pressure of "you're a DP, you can't blow finishes like this!".

3. gaucho85

gaucho85 Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My point is that Sam is not Tetteh, it's not the right comparison. I think Sam is going to do well somewhere and I hope it's San Jose. Some players get a lot of hype but fizzle because they lack something when they transition to the professional game. He's the right kind of guy for a GA... he will develop as long as long as he can stay healthy. I really think he can help the Earthquakes this year.

There is absolutely no excuse for what happened after Cal game... UCSB turned a awful officiating situation into something much worse and Tetteh was part of that... the coaches have responsibility in that.. but Sam was not part of it.

Frimpong is still incarcerated as far as I know.

I don't think SB needs a team... UCSB has been a great venue for soccer. I wouldn't be surprised though if the Ventura USL PDL team Fusion morphs into a profession team at some point.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hope Sam makes it in the end and doesn't turn into Tetteh because that would be bad for both the Quakes and the time they put into training him , the fans and of course for him but he should be coming around now in his second year. Frank wouldn't have called him out publicly if he thought was doing well so I don't think he is progressing as much as they want him to. The good thing is because of the GA contract, they don't have to pay him and he doesn't count against the salary cap.

I was there and it was the worst display I've ever seen in 40 years of watching the game. It was sad for coaches, players involved, fans , the school and especially the young kids looking on. You are right about the coaching who I think should be held directly accountable . Tim Von Steeg IMHO should also take the blame for (current Quakes defender) Peter McGlynn assaulting the referee.

Thanks for the input. If he really did it which I think he did if you believe the girls testimony, he deserves to stay there.
    I commend the fans down there and am glad they get behind the school and attend the games. Only thing is, even though they are mostly college kids, what they are doing in essence is coming out to watch what is a 5th/6th tier squad. As it is, they are drawing better than the Orange County Blue Star, Ventura, LA Blues , Fresno as well as the Chivas and I think (right now anyway) are also surpassing the Quakes in attendance. I can't help but think of the possibilities and/or the revenue they could bring in if they would start getting behind and channel their support and energy into a professional team. Just my opinion....

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Garza will be loaned out to a USL/PDL squad. Possibly down south.....

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully orlando city........it worked out pretty good last time. There is still hope, I remember at this stage when we all but abandoned Morrow, and hes become quite the quake all things considered (despite his dip in form, there is plenty of our boys with a dip in form right now)

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    There are like 3-4 guys from Santa Barbara heading down to the Ventura County Fusion and I think west coast MLS team are somehow affiliated with them. I think he may go there. Its a PDL league but its also close to home as opposed to Orlando where it will be difficult to keep on eye on him.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. gaucho85

gaucho85 Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Getting loaned out to a USL team would be great for Sam... or any player who isn't getting playing time. There just are not enough reserve games IMO. I haven't heard of players getting loaned to PDL teams before... PDL teams are usually non-Pro... I think there might be one salaried PDL team in the league... the Fusion are amateurs.
    I saw Sam got an assist in the last reserve game... anyone see the game?

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I heard he did ok but I also heard he wants to play now and may be loaned out. Too bad the USL Sacto team isn't starting until next year as the Quakes could have loaned at least 5-6 players to them. .

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i want like.....half of that Sacramento USL team to be quakes reserves :p

guys like Garza, McGlynn, Muller, Delgado, and maybe our brightest academy prospect(s) at the moment.

markmcf8 and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah that assist was sweet... perfectly weighted through ball in behind the defense after he drew their CB's out. the rest of the game he was kind of ok... some good moments some bad. but he was playing out of position at CM so it's understandable. his usual position is out wide. what I really want to see from him is to consistently be able to beat the fullback out wide on the dribble and put in a good cross or shot. I haven't seen that from him since the open cup last year.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Delgado is now training with Ventura.
    [​IMG]

13. BlueSmoke

BlueSmoke Red Card

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I heard he is in Frank's dog house. Too bad. I liked Garza's style last season.

14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He actually looked ok in his appearances this year aside from his flubs at the goal mouth. I'd prefer him over Martinez, honestly. At least he's fast enough to conceivably play both sides of the ball.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from whom?

It may already be too little too late for him. Id like to see him get one more chance but chances are fleeting especially getting knocked from the US Open cup. The fact he couldnt get a game for that, or even a bench spot is pretty damning though. Garza is a lecture on why you never draft based on need on draft day. Terrible, terrible reach.

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't prefer Garza over Martinez, but I do think Sam should be getting sub minutes with the starters. He's got speed, decent ball handling, and a good work rate. He needs minutes in order to get better. And he's an actual midfielder. We ought to play our speedy guys at the speed positions, duh! So Sam ought to get time there.

go quakes!
    Fire Frank!

- Mark

17. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fact is Frank doesn't have a clue what he's doing & one day Garza will make a fool of him, it might be with the Quakes in a week, It might be with the Quakes in 9 months or it might not be with the Quakes at all, but some day in the near future he will break out & play fantastic & Make Frank look like the incompetent coach that he is, just like Opara before him.

markmcf8 repped this.
  18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will play fantastically!

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ike Opara played 6 games for KC and scored a goal........he already has more than Lenny & Gordo!

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think Sam is gone.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    source please?? sorry to hear that if thats the case

22. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting that he didn't play in the reserve squad game. Looks like he didn't even travel

On the bright side, MATT FONDY SIGHTING!!! :D

23. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is there ever any source? Either it's just a feeling or its because he's in his GA contract and we dont have to start paying him until next year.

24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's the "little birdy" this time... I won't be surprised if Falvo's correct. Seems Garza is the ripest candidate for a trade. Lot's of upside and not alot of MLS replay evidence of him playing poorly.

25. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    markmcf8 repped this.