The Official Sam Cronin thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Jan 11, 2011.

1. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. No it was not. While it wasn't soft, slow, and dinky, it was far from uncontrollable.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cronin gave an honest account of how the game went after the game.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Didn't watch the Toluca game but I read in the threads that Cronin played a good match. How true is that?

4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    93% true.

DotMPP repped this.
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Cool thanks! I like Cronin and think he is a solid player. Can't really explain why as he isn't very flashy and doesn't make spectacular plays on defense and even looks awkward at times but I really think he is the glue that hold's down the midfield.

6. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Falvo, I agree Cronin is the glue. He's a gamer, he does the dirty work and all the little things right...really underrated by a lot of fans.

falvo repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I think so. He makes mistakes but everyone does at times also. He is one of those players who as you say, does all the dirty work but you never notice him but a guy that every team needs. Glad he is played well against Toluca.

8. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely Cronin's best game of the season, seems to be working himself into game shape. Because of the Toluca game, I've changed my mind. JBP should be looking over his shoulder for Koval, not Cronin.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  9. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Cronin is coming into his own from injury, but we need to give JBP some time to adjust as well. Either way, I really like our depth at CM right now. Our overall depth is also excellent. Cant wait for Open Cup, we should make a deep run in that tournament.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cronin-Koval could make a pretty good pairing in the middle, Id like to give it a whirl

11. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a long season, there's bound to be use of every combination involving 2 out of 3 of those guys, with a dose of Khari thrown in here and there.

Sam's own teammates voted him team MVP last season and it's certainly not his fault they missed the playoff by a goal. The guy has had January camp call-ups, even a couple caps, whoever thinks he's a middling CDM for MLS is just wrong.

When he makes mistakes they can be costly, but a lot of that owes to the part of the field he's responsible for . But most of the time he's doing the dirty work just fine, and that's his job. I think one little detail that shows how smart he is and how well he does his job is that he's playing CDM and garnering only 3-4 cards a season the last couple years.

It's a bonus when he shows a flash of flair like his giant run to poke one in vs Galaxy at Stanford in 2012 or his cross to Gordon the next year. I think he's perfectly capable of helping the offense, it's just not his main job. Maybe this year we'll see more of that for whatever reason, it would be nice.

The number of minutes he gives is crazy. He gives us consistency and that's key in his part of the field. When he's 100.0% recovered from his off-season surgery we're not going to have anything to worry about from him.

Quakesss repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too bad Cronin came off for Koval vs KC.

Other than being tired, don't really understand that move.

13. Quakesss

Quakesss Member+

Nov 16, 2013
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he wasnt doing anything..

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too bad Koval did worse. Don't think I ever saw him touch the ball.

15. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    They had about the same number of passes (14 to 12). Koval spent most of his time in the offensive half while Cronin had more hot spots on at the top of the Quakes defensive box and at the center line. The differences were mainly due to RSL scoring. Once that happened RSL went mainly to a keep-away game, and the Quakes tried to push forward more.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Would make sense as Cronin is more defensive.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  18. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    After a horrible game against Dallas, I thought Sam did a little better against Seattle. I used to think he was a solid player but he is not the player I thought he once was or could have been, unfortunately. Hope he redeems himself.

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah......just two years ago he was a rock in the back. I thought he was a critical piece in the machine our supporters shield year, but hes fallen off the tracks. Disappointing trajectory.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is one of those guys that you need when everything goes well but disappears when everything goes bad. Not a game changer or play maker but then I don't think anyone this year so far has been other than maybe Wondo and maybe Salinas although he is way too inconsistent and can't shoot. Garcia could be but sadly because of this injury, we won't know until next year. That is is if he is still around then.

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I still think that what's missing is a competent partner in the midfield for Sam (or JBP,for that matter) -- someone with a set of skills that complements, rather than duplicates the skills of a DCM...

DotMPP repped this.
  23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think every team needs a player like the way Cronin use to play in 2012 but yeah this team currently definitely lacks strong midfielders.

24. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You know, Baca may not have been everything everybody wanted in an ACM, but dammit -- he stayed at home and provided the link that is now sorely missing...

25. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we sure are so much better now that Baca is not holding us back. ;)

ColinMcCarthy and bsman repped this.