The Official Sam Cronin thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by jetdog9, Jan 11, 2011.

1. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed. It doesn't seem possible that Cronin can go another full season without being sidelined with an injury. Hopefully he does, but he still is going to need rest at some point in order to stay fit and injury free. Whoever plays in his stead (Ring looking like the most likely option) is going to have to produce at very near Cronin's ability. If he's better, then great. The major issue for me is what do the Quakes do if they want to shift gears? Normally it was Baca who was taken off if the Quakes decided to go forward heavy, and that approach probably isn't that likely to change. Personally I am hoping for a more fundamental midfield configuration shift, which might make Ring less than ideal as a replacement, but to be honest, it probably isn't something that will come up next season.

And for the record, on the Smith and Kaepernick debate, I personally like both of those guys as players and was surprised to see Kaepernick start once Smith was cleared (although I'm pulling for Kaep since we went to high school together and home town pride is in me to some extent.)

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Turlock in the house! Did Kaep bring his turtle to school :--)?

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For the record, the Niners should trade Alex Smith to the Bills. :)

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't know but I really like the way Sam Cronin plays. Am I seeing something different than everyone else?

6. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no i like his play too, hes become a very solid player for us, i still think he is very underrated. Cronin is the least of our problems right now.

falvo repped this.
  7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I also think he is solid. I think he needs more help in the midfield though to shine. Salinas is hot and cold and we all know what we get with Ramiro and Baca.

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great goal by Sam Cronin. He is a solid player in my opinion. Too bad he let Justin Mapp get by but he redeemed himself with that goal! Simply beautiful!

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, wonderful player, plays his socks off.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I saw Cronin lose the ball on defense in front of the Quakes penalty area but his lob for Alan Gordon's goal was a thing of beauty!

11. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's odd, but it seemed like Cronin was uncharacteristically error-prone last night. But otherwise, cronin is reminding me more and more of Richard Mulrooney (one of my favorites) - a steadfast hard worker and disruptive defender.

markmcf8 and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  12. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is music to me ears. Rich was (is) always tops.

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, overall the cronin move was a good one, hes been a good player for us. plenty of other places to upgrade before cronin.

14. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    Croninja is a great nickname. But am I the only one who, after watching Sons of Anarchy, just wants to call him SAMCRO?

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Croninja was the name Mark coined for him? I certainly saw it first here on BigSoccer.

17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There's also "Cromagnin", a nod, if you will, to the shape of Sam's head. :--)

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Or Cronan the Ball Burying.

DotMPP repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Nice! (though I might suggest a slightly different spelling: Cronan The BallBuryin').

20. Cookie4HatTrick

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I first saw it in an Earthquakes video where, if I remember correctly, Bobby Burling referred to him as Croninja. Also, in an interview, which I think was before one of the games on CSN, he was asked whether he preferred Croninja or Cronan the Barbarian, and he said he preferred Croninja because it was a family thing, so it definitely didn't originate from Mark.

I can't seem to find a video of either, though. :confused:

21. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    How can you have a unsung hero on a team that has failed to achieve its goals?

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Because no team is going to be #1 every year, and frankly, if that's the measure, then it's hardly worth backing ANY team...

23. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    never said anything about being #1 every year. the goal for every team is to at least reach the playoffs and in MLS thats a pretty low bar for success.

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    In a way the Quakes year is parallel to the SF Giants year. More or less the same players, but much worse results. Brian Sabean was saying that maybe it's just a "bad penny year" where things just don't go your way. You have to make a determination - are you really just that bad now, or was it just a "bad penny year" and you can expect things to go better next year. 'Cause if you completely clean house based on a "bad penny" year, you may be doing the wrong thing.

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croninja has played well this season and even stepped up his offensive contributions a tiny bit. Unfortunately the rest of the team has stunk it up. He has been one of the few players I would NOT accuse of "coasting" and having a supporters shield hangover in the first half of the season.