The Official Rafael Baca thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They probably had to deal with the ICEman, which these days can be no easy task.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Rafael Baca, seems to be improving little by little....

http://www.csnbayarea.com/03/24/12/...-in-T/landing.html?blockID=676406&feedID=2805

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Congratulations to Baca for making the MLS Team of the Week for the first time in his career! (Oh, and that guy Wondo made it again...)

5. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Baca could reach out of his picture and put a boa constrictor in with DirtyAlonso.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Cookie4HatTrick

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an excellent article.

9. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if he does get called, I can't help but root for him...even if it is for Mexico.

10. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea if he's really on Mexico's radar. I already posted earlier this year that I feared he'd be on the radar of Mexico's bigger clubs. If he did go to the Olympics, it will make the tournament much more interesting. And some international tournament play could be good for Baca. Because of the break, the Quakes wouldn't lose him for that many games anyway, right?

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow, glowing review of Baca. This guy does a good job putting into words, and backing it up with data, the reasons why I like the way Baca plays - the reasons why I'm a Bacanalian. So much for "all he does is back pass" (I see a strong majority of forward vectors in that passing graphic).

The article claims that Baca's left is his "off" foot. I haven't been able to tell to be honest. He looks equally comfortable with either. I actually thought he was a lefty. The shot that the author describes was a left-footed shot, and a pretty good one.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What happened to all the Baca haters?

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Rafael Baca performed this, would it become known as the Baca Haka? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doyle is top notch.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got something there. ;)

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as it's done by that idiot. Check out the New Zealand rugby team. They'll show you how it's done.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But for it to become the Baca Haka, would Baca need to perform it with them? If so, would he only then earn the title Haka Baca? :confused:

-G

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Exactly. Bretos's version is wimpy and soulless. It needs to be done with deep instinctual primal male aggression, not like a scene from South Pacific.

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a moniker one would not "earn", but rather, would be branded with. (Earn, would imply he might actually want the title)

20. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "If so" would already imply that Baca had chosen to participate in the Baca Haka, meaning that he then knowingly chose to be bestowed the title Haka Baca.

-G

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You like to type that don't you?

I wasn't questioning your grammer... ;)

22. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Posted this in the "Chron Live" thread, but just watched Baca's interview. It was short, Baca talked about the win in Philadelphia a bit, about how well the team is playing, and then about his goal in New York. Most interesting, he said he would play if he get called into the Mexico Olympic team (as if there was any question about that...he's not a US citizen, no green card, so he's quite a bit away from being eligible for the US team even if he would ever get that chance). He said he hasn't had any contact from anyone from Mexico yet, though.

It seems a long shot that he'd get called in, as he's never played for Canada at any youth level as far as I can tell. While Matthew Doyle's article the other day was interesting, I'll believe it when I see it.

23. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Selfishly, I'm kind of hoping that they don't call in him, though in the long run it would probably make him a better player. I think his competitiveness in MLS however is causing him to be on a pretty steep upwards curve - he's still getting better and more confident with each match.

I agree that it's a long shot that he'd get called in. 1) I'm not sure that the Mexican managers would agree with Doyle's assessment, and 2) he's got to be so far under the radar as an MLS player who played in the U.S. collegiate system and grew up in the U.S. for the most part (and it's not like there are no shortage of U-23 Mexican players in Mexico), and 3) would there be some bias against him or reluctance to admit that you want some "help" from a U.S. developed player.

24. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Boy a lot of crow should be served here!

I came back to this forum looking for info and saw this thread. What a difference a year makes. gotta like Doyle, Yallop and Baca (and others) now. I continue to be very impressed with the SJE FO. What they have done with there resources is truly remarkable. A model for all. Well done indeed.

Baca is another US based West Coast futbol player. I doubt he will be in the Mexico U23 line up as he is as American as most of the city of Los Angeles. Started immediately as a freshman at LMU, where I first saw him play against former Quake BMac as a freshman. BMac was a 4th round pick and I believe the MLS only had 3 rounds for Baca's year. Only two now. Quite frankly I do not know why the MLS has any draft. Look at the drafts for 2008 - 2010 and see how many drafted players are left in the MLS. Of course their team still has their rights.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Surprised that there aren't more comments how Baca has been progressing. We all know he has a lot to learn and maybe he has somethings people don't like but IMHO, he was one of the men of the match the other night. I'm sure he can still grow and improve into the position very nicely....