The Official Marvin Chávez thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Sportsfan783

Sportsfan783 Member

FC Dallas
    Oct 8, 2010
    Midland, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was let go so FCD could get Blas Perez.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Get well soon Marvin, We need you!

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto that from here!

5. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, that really sucks. Such a good player and also so fun to watch.

6. PapaSmurf

PapaSmurf Member

Mar 2, 2012
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Chavez is quickly becoming my new favorite Quake

7. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I know somebody asked this before, but how on earth did Dallas let him go? That has got to sting. Chavez and Lenhart have some kind of esp thing going on because those two always seem to manage to link up.

8. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marvin Chavez...OUR BEST PLAYER

9. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if he's our best, but so far he's been our most valuable for sure (honorable mention to Bernardez). Also, isn't it a good thing that our top goalscorer isn't our MVP?

10. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who comes close as being our best other than him? Chavez has an impact all over the field on both sides of the ball. Bernardez is second.

11. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unfortunately, we've had more games without him now than with him, yeah?

Chavez has not been the best finisher (I'm not sure of his shots on goal to goal ratio), but his service is excellent, as is his pace. Not a whole lot of guys as fast as he is with the ball at his feet.

12. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    One concerning thing is that Chavez made a two footed tackle again last night - it was the play that Beckham got so upset about. Beckham should have been yellow carded for his hands to Chavez's face after the play (and subsequently sent off since he already had a yellow), but if you watch the replay you can see why he was so upset. Chavez ran over and jumped two footed into the tackle, with his studs out towards the ball. Fortunately, he aimed his feet ahead of the ball and Franklin's feet so there was no contact and Chavez just ended up blocking the ball. It wasn't even a foul, but the way Chavez jumped in was somewhat dangerous. He needs to stop making the two footed lunging tackles, or he's going to get more redcards.

Having said that, he is definitely one of the best Quakes players. I wouldn't say he's the best - he's been somewhat inconsistent and as noted above, needs better judgment. I'd rate Wondo and Morrow higher than Chavez, in terms of what they've done for the team this year. And probably Bernardez, although he's also missed so much time that it's hard to say for certain if he can keep playing at the level he was at the start of the season.

13. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez is a top 3 for sure. Without him our chances of scoring are simply far lower. .75 assists per 90 minutes so far @ 5 assists. But also good on defense, as long as he doesn't red card himself with another two foot tackle. Fun player to watch as well. Good vision. Just a great player playing the perfect role.

14. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22 repped this.
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Marvin is fun to watch; he's creative and unpredictable. He also provided the most entertaining moment at Stanford tonight when he stood on the ball. Maybe you had to be there.

16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very possible that one had to be there; the only thing I saw standing still was the video picture and that occurred quite frequently. However, aside from that , Marvin is a terrific player, very vital.

17. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Yeah - he was very good tonight, and was hustling on both ends of the field up to the final whistle. He created the goal by beating 3 defenders and sending the ball forward for Beitashour, who was wide open because Chavez occupied all the defenders.

I just want to see Marvin start taking some shots on goal and not always looking just to cross it in. He will be even more dangerous if the defense is worried about him shooting as well as passing.

18. WondoSoWonderful

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Marvins stepover on the right wing was sexy, got the crowd going. He's the kind of player we have been desperately needing, I couldn't be happier with his signing (and every offseason signing, really)

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm just glad he was involved in the goal or the fancy ball tricks wouldn't have added a whole lot to the game. I'm all for outplaying your opponents, but there should be an end to it. I think Chavez and Moreno could become more and more dangerous again the more they work together. Both seem to want to play the ball into space and that's important. Playing the ball to the feet sometimes defeats the whole purpose of the pass.

20. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thanked Doyle last night for signing him. He looked confused. ("Who the hell is this guy and why's he telling me this?" :thumbsdown:)

21. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that on the UStream video, but had to guess he actually stood on it... I think the guy Columbus had the first couple years, Doctor Khumalo, did that in a game for South Africa and got a Yellow from the ref.

22. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Do you know why the yellow was given, exactly? Is there a rule about tampering with playing equipment? I can't remember. I searched and just found a bunch of cricket references.

23. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap, I wish I could remember where I had seen that. I figured he spent more time "on" the ball then Chavez did and I'm also remembering something like, he made a gesture, like he shadowed his eyes with his hand and did a quick, left to right scan, embellishing his effort to find someone to pass to, while he was still on the ball. (Of course now when I search, I see Kanchelskis did this, but nothing about Khumalo doing it.. :oops:)

24. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gets the "Oooohs and Aahhhhs" that Hucks once did.

25. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States