The Official Korea NT Thread Part 5 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Seol Korea, Dec 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who? Apparently the KFA said so. Choi appears to be the most qualified or at least amongst the most qualified homegrown coach that we have to offer. This mess requires a bandaid not a complete solution or worse yet a rushed settlement. Thats what we are getting and thats why I said jokingly "Im starting to like this guy". We qualify first and foremost and then we take our time (relatively so) looking for the right solution (which in my mind is a foreign coach). Im cool with either Gunes or Faria although I doubt either will happen.

Plus, you never know what'll happen. Missing the WC could also fortify some of the dumass strongholds within the organization. I don't think WC qualification should be used as a pawn here. It would be devastating not to go to Brazil of all places in 2014.

2. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Name another Korean manager that could be able to do it. Kim Ho gon maybe... can you name any others. Even if you can CKH is the most successful manager out of all of them. He won K-league and got to the final of the Asian Champions League.

3. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    lollerskates!!!!!!!!!!!

4. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    dude those were the rumors buddy. I don't see you naming any candidates? Lets hear it Mr. Expert! :rolleyes:

5. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sky you're obviously on some sort of an agenda here. why not come out with it?

6. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    I disagree. It requires a complete solution, because this is as good as we'll get with a corrupt and incompetent administration. I'll be the first to admit that we've come a long way and have improved tremendously, but there's more to be done if we're to be considered a legitimate footballing nation. It won't happen with the same people at the KFA, because this is their limit and they don't have the capacity to take Korean football to the next level.

Everyone knows that the KFA is incompetent. The only reason nothing has been done to change it is because no one had the patience to rebuild what should've been rebuilt a long time ago and that we simply weren't willing to risk going to the WC where we ended up sucking for the most part anyway over the past two decades. And if Jo Jung-yeon, the current KFA president, gets re-elected later this year, the status quo will perpetuate.

7. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    You're just not getting it, because quite frankly, you just don't know what you're talking about. The very fact that a retard like Kim Ho-gon (who has been a lapdog for the KFA over the last 20 years or so) was considered as the national team coach reveals just how corrupt our current administration is.

8. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ******** politics.

your still not naming any candidates. I never said Kim ho gon was a good candidate. Those were the RUMORS.

9. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Sorry even major FAs are messed up disaster piles. To expect more is really hoping to win the lottery. The same crazy guys in the KFA will be here tomorrow, next year and so on. Maybe more football intelligence but corrupted either way

Just roll with the punches.

10. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Beggars can't be choosers I guess. I completely agree about the incompetence but lets face facts here. We've been constantly faced with a dearth of willing, respectable managers who'll take this job. Our island neighbors seem to have the direct opposite happening. Why? I can only suspect, but its starting to sound like a running joke. I can't see how anyone can blame the KFA for that though. Its more of a perception problem imo.

KFA considering Ghotbi should've waved some serious red flags for all of us. In fact, it was at that point that I turned 180 on finding immediate foreign assistance and ran into the arms of Choi.

11. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Good point, but we can do a lot better with changes in personnel and overall system. We've got the resources to improve, but we're settling for a system that's designed to rely on players with limited skills to produce results without competence in management/administration that's in charge of providing support for the players and coaches. We're in a situation where fans are expecting our football to be as good as that of the Europeans and South Americans whilst the people who are responsible for meeting those demands have less competence than second-rate Asian and African FAs. At least Africa's got world class players.

This is exactly why I'm here to tell you that you don't know what you're talking about and that you shouldn't waste my time by replying to my posts. Why in world would I waste my time discussing "candidates" when my point has always been that it's moot to discuss who coaches the team as long as the KFA doesn't change?

KFA's incompetent management has everything to do with why we're starting to lag behind Japan.

--

Just to clarify things, Choi Gang-hee is not the greatest of tacticians, but I absolutely adore him and firmly believe that his ability to create a player-friendly atmosphere (which is a complete 180 from Jo Gwang-rae who wanted to make his players into soldiers) is exactly what a lot of our players need at this point. The players will love him. I have no doubt about that, but there are bigger issues within Korean football than the national team. Unless those issues are addressed, this is as good as we'll get and we'll be lucky not to regress and lag further behind Japan and Australia.

12. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Australia? Thought folks were saying they were has-beens.

13. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Their players who played at the WC and AC are indeed has-beens, but they've got respected people in administrative positions within their FA.

14. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm aware of the the politics that occurs in FIFA, AFC and KFA. Whining about it is not going to help you get anywhere. Deal with it. And if your that motivated about this issue write a blog. If not lower your expectations and work with what we have. you don't need to vent.

The combination of the coaching staff and players has more impact on results then the entire KFA. Get over yourself. Face the facts.

15. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    And yet I still think we have a far brighter future.

So weve thrown around the term "lag". If we're discussing development of Korean football from youths to senior nt, then the selection or firing of the manager has very little to do with it. It's not like CKR and HMB were cooperating on player selection for the Olympic squad for example. I don't follow our younger guys but our FA seems to be doing a decent job of giving our youngsters opportunities to hook on to European clubs and I don't see our youth sides being any worse than most major youth teams. So it may be corrupt but so are most and its not impairing the development of Korean football.

If we're instead saying tht we're lagging behind aussies and japan in terms of preparation for brazil, then even the most corrupt of FAs can get it right with hiring the right manager even if by unprofessional means. This isthe same FA who bought hiddink for example. Also as much as I detest CKR, we can also place some of the blame on the transition of talent agewise, the fact that many of our players rushed to non-ideal locations for development and playing time, etc.

Tactics and player selection are things that are fixable in a very short period of time even with a bad FA as long as the right guy is hired. As for other structural issues in Korean football such as the leaking of talent to Japan due to what I understand are money issues, our talents' desire to sit on the bench of EPL sides, and lack of a placement agent like Japan had with Germany... I don't think that this NT manager transition really has an impact, no?

16. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    LOL. No you don't and what a pathetically stupid post. What won't get Korean football anywhere is discussing who'll be coaching the national team when there's a system that's designed to make the coach fail.

17. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    It's funny how you use immature tirades to debunk people.

Elaborate on this please. Tell me the whole design thats is making our coaches fail. Are you an insider? Where are you getting all this information? Intrigue me. Let's see if you truly are operating on more facts then just baseless speculations.

I don't even understand how this conversation turned into this. I was just stating facts and opinions posted earlier in this thread. KFA selected the best manager at hand. End of story. Then you start blabbing about them making the wrong decision... Then agree that CKH is a good manager for the job. Make up your mind.

18. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    so many vague posts.... :)

19. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    We'll have to agree to disagree on this, but clearly, there's more to how Korean football is being held by the KFA's corruption and incompetence. As I've said already, if we're to assess the quality of football being played by our national team strictly based on what we see on the pitch, we've got some promising things going for us. But with management/administration that doesn't have the capacity to take our football to the next level by planning effectively, this is as good as we'll get. For example, the K-League's match-fixing scandal is merely a byproduct of corruption in Korean football and there's no reason to believe that bigger problems that will really screw our football as a whole won't happen if things stay the same. I understand that most FAs around the world are incompetent, but even for that standard, the level of incompetence shown by the KFA is embarrassing.

I agree on a lot of things you say, but we only managed to hire Hiddink, because there was a financial backing from the government so that we wouldn't embarrass ourselves on the biggest stage. We no longer have that kind of support. With limited budget and resources, there needs to be smart decision-making which the KFA clearly isn't capable of. As I wrote on the previous page, Choi Gang-hee has the ability to get our national team to play better football. Whoever replaces him in 2013 will probably be someone who has the capacity to put together a team that's good enough to get us to the second round of the WC if we can ride some luck like we did in 2010. But that's not what I'm getting at. Unless we address bigger issues, we'll never break out of being treated as outsiders and underdogs at every WC.

20. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    Way to put words in my mouth. And that you're confused and can't understand my point is exactly why I'm calling you an idiot. Bye.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The reasons we're underdogs are because we have only a single player who is even a marginal player on a top club who we hope might be not too old in 14, our captain who can't even sit on the bench on another, our only defenders who play at a high level being old in SPL or ignored NT-wise in Swiss league, and guys like JDW who want to park their careers in the EPL bench or NTH who b!tch their way to Qatar. Oh... and joker managers like CKR who think we can play like Barca.

I'm one of the older guys on this forum and I can't recall when the last time we didn't make the WC. Frankly, we've done better for our talent level than most teams in the world cup, including our AFC neighbors.

Serie A and BL have had match fixing issues too. Let's not over blow things here. Its far more worrisome to me that KBK and a bunch of our other young guys are going to Japan which isn't much different quality wise than K-league.

You are talking about FAs which are the most insanely corrupt organizations in the world. African teams with a boatload of greater issues are not considered "underdogs"... why is that? Because they have good players.

22. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    And yet, we're developing at a far slower rate than Japan who never played at the WC before 98 and never had a professional league before 93. We played at our first World Cup in the 50s and had a professional domestic league since 83.

You don't think that's a systematic problem as well?

They're considered underdogs when playing against elite European or South American teams and they too will never be able to break out of being outsiders unless they rid themselves of crap management.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Japan has far more resources. These clubs are willing to let their players go for free! And 1.5 years ago, nobody would be saying that Japan was progressing rapidly.

I do but it has nothing to do with how our KFA picks/dumps managers or the whether they are corrupted or not. I don't get the impression that k-league is rolling in the dough with underpaid players.

We won't be favored until we have even a single player even mentioned as top 10 in his position world wide.

24. gambeta

gambeta Member

Sep 21, 2009
    The part in bold is true, but Japan's investment in football has been paying dividends since 10 years ago.

It has nothing to do with how the KFA treats its coaches, but it has everything to do with how Korean football is structured which ultimately is the KFA's responsibility.

Which will never happen unless we go through some major changes on all fronts.

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    It's not completely a question of resources, the tradition is signing players to short deals in order to avoid paying them if their performances drop or if they get seriously injured, and because the salaries are not as high as they are in Europe, players often find themselves free or with a cheap last year that even a low tier European club can afford.