The Official Jordan Stewart thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJTillIDie, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Whatever, another over 30 player. Whee.

QuietType repped this.
  2. Steve0013

Steve0013 Member

Jul 20, 2012
    London, UK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Could be a big improvment over Morrow, which is'nt saying a lot but id take this guy over Morrow, hopefully he wont see any time at LM because he have far better options, but LB, decent enough signing.

3. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not impressed with this signing. We need to be aiming higher than low Championship / League One players.

Beerking repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They don't like him,
    we don't care.

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Or, in haiku form:

They do not like him,
    We don't care, no not at all,
    Well, unless he sucks.

DotMPP and QuietType repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hope he can help. Anyway he can't be any worse than what we've got now.....

7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, yes, he most definitely can be worse than Morrow.

DotMPP, Beerking and SJTillIDie repped this.
  8. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fitting phrasing, because I'm in New Delhi at the moment. I will try to get the thread updated soon.

Goodsport repped this.
  9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could play Stewart at left back, and move Morrow into center back. If we're clever, we could even sit Beita for Gargan and give Beita a rest. He's clearly not 100%, so a break might be good.

Oh, and this lets us move Ring to the bench, or d-mid.

go quakes!!

- Mark

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maybe he will last more than 28 games though? :)

11. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    I guess the proper adjective for this signing would be "useful" or maybe "serviceable". Not a terrible acquisition, probably not a season changer. Then again, MLS is full of players who were not exactly household names when they got here who went on to play well in this league. Maybe Mr. Stewart will prove to be one of those.

12. Das Moots

Das Moots Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after reading the mls propaganda article on him i've soften a touch....

needing left back depth i guess makes some sense. per the article stewart would be on our 2nd string back line with nana, hernandez (yikes) and gargan. i'm OK with this as long as said players are used for the summer friendlies and reserve games as if we use our 2nd string for CCL games i'll be really pissed as since our mls season isn't going anywhere we need to try and make a stand in the CCL at the very least!

what doesn't make sense to me is why JD would reach for a 31 year old who's "out of season" and needs 2+ weeks to get fit, who takes up an international spot, who's probably pretty slow and who will age himself out of the team next season unless he proves to be really good. couldn't we have found a young player riding the bench within MLS who is in season, doesn't take a international slot and has some speed?

this is lazy gm'ing in my pov, jd takes whoever shows up for trial (how many times has he done this, i've lost count) and then trys to spin a story about how we've found a gem and an EPL vet to boot (give me a break). do some real gm'ing JD just like the guy with the warriors who's using smarts to work with a salary cap and still improving their team 10 fold!

oh and where's a CAM jd? you want to improve the team overnight find us a CAM from within the league who's in season and ready to play on saturday.

fire jd!

spongey and Beerking repped this.
  13. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was nagging/ribbing G because it seemed odd that he would have posted in that thread before creating the "Official" thread... As it was, it looked like he had it created before I could finish... So then I went over to the "Official" thread and made another "About Time" joke...

14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I have to say that the Quakes have done a poor job with their fringe roster players. You expect some turnover, but the list of players that they signed this year or last and then failed to develop and dumped is pretty long:

Mitchell
    Tommy
    Emerson
    Pizarro
    Suggs
    Husted

...and then guys they drafted and had in camp and didn't sign, like Delgado

...and then there are the guys that they seem to be failing to develop, like Garza.

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...and the midget at forward who doesn't fit into our system, like Fucito.

...and the Honduran dude who was playing in China who sucks, like Martinez.

However, the problem may be with the statement "failed to develop". They may just suck.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well if they "just suck", then don't sign them. I mean you never know for sure how they will develop, but it's not like the extent to which they develop has nothing to do with how they are developed (IOW it is not entirely void of environmental influence). And the other part is knowing what players have the capacity to develop.

17. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jordan Stewart? Sounds like a men's clothing store you find at a mall.

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly. Doyle needs to take some blame for signing these players. Not just Frank for failing to develop them...

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. dakotajoe

dakotajoe Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Medford, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude fills a need in the back, is loaded with experience and perhaps with that experience some knowledge he can pass on to our younger players.

21. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was skeptical on this signing, but I have to say that I am happy with his performance so far. Definitely an upgrade over Morrow 2013, and I hope he pushes and teaches Morrow to improve his game.

He was very eager to join the attacks, especially in the first half. He was ahead of Salinas several times. I think Baca and some player were reminding him to be cautious going forward. He stayed at home more in the second half. I also noticed, in last year's games, the Norwich game and this game, that he likes to cross the ball early. Our forwards don't seem to have the same anticipation to run to the near post or the penalty spot. They always expect a high ball for the header or a floater to the back post.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice game against Portland. Hopefully, he can continue to prove me wrong!

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was really happy with the way Stewart played. I haven't seen him before so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it was pretty obvious to me that he was doing something right because Portland's attack was coming almost exclusively down Chavez' and Beitashour's side, which was pretty weak most of the night. If he keeps playing like this then Morrow will certainly be the odd man out, unless Bernardez continues getting suspensions.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can Jordan Stewart play in the midfield?

25. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He can play left mid and I guess he'd play it somewhat similar to Ramiro: a bit slow, won't beat anyone on a run down the sideline, will hit lots of longish diagonal crosses and play good d.