The Official Jason Hernandez Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sko16, Oct 5, 2008.

1. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose

Very interesting to see how well thought of Hernandez is outside of the Quakes. Early in the year, I thought Jason was playing fairly well but making one or two really bad mistakes each game, and a few of those cost the team a game. Then, when he played outside back, I really was not a fan, as his ball distribution was poor and he contributed nothing to the offense. But then in the second half of the season he really did seem to settle in and play really well. He reads the game well and also seems to help organize the back line - they were generally together in executing offsides traps and covering for each other.

I really think the Quakes have the best central defense in MLS, if you count their top 4 central defenders. Hernandez, Opara, McDonald and Burling - I'd take that group over any group that any other team has.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Wow tonight will be his 100th game since 2008. Cool! :cool:

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jason Hernandez and Ramiro Corrales are the only two left here from the 2008 San Jose Earthquakes (I suppose that Shea Salinas can be included as well, although he wasn't here the whole time since then). :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mjlee22 repped this.
  19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    That was a great save but I think Morrow's, in the 1st half, was better because he came sprinting out of nowhere to run into the box and knock the ball out, the ball was hit harder I think, and he had to sort of launch himself into the goal to get to the ball. He was playing as if he was, I don't know...free? :--)

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-06-23-rsl-v-sj/highlights?videoID=189841

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From great to goat in one week. Jason is such a nice guy, but he's not the defensive rock he was a few years ago.

21. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Part of what makes him good is what makes him bad, which is why we've seen him make amazing stops and some terrible mistakes. He gets into the right position most of the time, but sometimes reacts too slowly or the ball takes an unexpected bounce. On his own goal, that was unfortunate, but it's hard for me to really blame him all that much. The credit really belongs to LA for the excellent passing in the penalty area. The back pass...well that was horrible and he should have played it safety first.
    I can only assume Jason started against LA because of his performance against Salt Lake and not because Frank really wanted to play Ramiro in the midfield. Even still, I was kinda surprised to see him in there when he could have gone back to more stable pairing of Morrow and Bernardez in the middle.

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also don't fault Jason for the own goal. Those things happen, especially since Busch did not get a hand on the ball. The backpass was unbelievably bad, sure. But the great thing about Jason that night is he put it all behind him and played out the rest of the game very well. That's character.

In fact, The whole team is showing a lot of character this season -- they don't seem to blame each other for problems and they support each other under duress, and up until the last couple games, they've been staying pretty calm under pressure.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe getting Convey out of the locker room was the most important off season move after all. I think it also helps that there are some young guys going out and doing their best. Enthusiasm for the game and being happy with the opportunity to prove yourself can have that effect. Obviously guys like Wondo and such have been around for a while, but the seasoned veterans are of the so-called "blue collar" type that Frank likes so much. When the team is the star, it's a good thing.

24. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was anyone who didn't look calm on Tuesday night, it was Jason, doing his best "EPL in the 80s" whack the ball when ever it got near him. (Though I know it was not actually "P" in the 80s)

25. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Probably trying to play it safe rather than cough up a couple goals the way he did against LA. That's the danger of trying to ball the ball out of danger is if nobody else is on the same page you are, intercepted passes happen. Whereas just booting the ball somewhere out of play always results in the same thing (not that I'm necessarily advocating that kind of defending).