The official Fire Klopas thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Clenbuterol, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    The thing is that even during the winning streak we played ugly soccer and looked bad at the start of matches, consistently losing and giving up early goals.

I cant think of too many matches where we played a complete game and dominated from start to finish. Many other teams can say that they have. Even crappy teams can say that have when they played against us.

nowherenova repped this.
  2. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    I like FK and I value that he is a 'Chicago Guy' who seems to be a supporter of the club as well as the manager and GM. That being said I know there are more dynamic and open- minded coaches out there. Would they want to manage the Fire? Not sure, but I don't think Nowak would fit the bill either.

3. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    His name is Andrew Hauptman.

4. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    He can carry his bags.

5. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Okay, I am NOT advocating for the firing of Frank Klopas. I think that would be stupid.

However, I do want to answer the question you posed. "Chicago-Based" Guys (loosely listed as people with a connection to the Fire or Chicago Soccer). Basically, I'm a bit bored at work today.

Guys with coaching experience:
    Bob Bradley (if he wants to leave Egypt, and who doesn't?)
    Piotr Nowak
    Lubos Kubik
    Chris Armas (admittedly, limited experience)
    Hristo Stoitchkov
    CJ Brown (although he has a job)

Pato Margetic
    Wily Roy
    Greg Ryan (former Sting player and US Women's coach, where he went 45 wins-9 ties-1 defeat)

Guys with a bit of coaching experience:
    Tony Sanneh (he has limited coaching experience)
    Zach Thornton (although he has just started coaching college)
    Pascal Bedrossian (JUST KIDDING!, although he is coaching Klopas' team FC Drive)
    David Vaudreuil

Guys without coaching experience, but could be possibilities:
    Eric Wynalda
    Brian McBride
    Ante Razov

6. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This part bears repeating. I remember some on here giving Pappa hell for years and being glad he was finally being sold and then elated that Flaco was replacing him. Not me. We really missed Pappa the last month of the season. He's worth so much more than El Flaccid and was getting paid far less.

Es Brennt, chitownboi and bunge repped this.
  7. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I disagree on the ugliness of the play. For the most part we have played attractive, attacking soccer. I love the style, since it's the same one the Polish NT has used for decades, might not be to everyones liking, you absorb some pressure, make a key takeaway and strike quickly. The fact that we had very few clean sheets doesn't make it ugly soccer, Philly had a ton of clean sheets last year and was playing about as ugly a brand of soccer as can be imagined.

8. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Chasing the ball and making Philly and New England look like world beaters is not pretty.

9. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's not make it seem like Pappa is Messi.

I think we would have lost with him out there too.

For every great play he did there was a bone head trip over his feet and let the defenders steal the ball away from him type of play.

10. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Pappa was more consistent and successful than Flacco. Flacco was ultimately a downgrade and that hurt the team in a way that makes you blame Klopas.

11. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Pappa would not have saved us.

12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    That's very insightful! Thanks for all the supporting evidence to help make your case! :rolleyes:

In reality you're simply working backwards from what you want (Klopas gone) and trying to make everything fit into that viewpoint. You say "Pappa would not have saved us" because if you admit he might have helped us it would undermine your argument about Klopas.

You should reverse your thought process and look at facts and let those facts dictate your opinion. You might come to the conclusion that Klopas is great or that he sucks, but at least your opinion would have some integrity.

13. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Sometimes you gotta take the money when its offered though. Pappa was more consistent but I don't think we would have gone much deeper (if at all) in the playoffs because of him, and we (at least supposedly) got significantly more money for letting him go then as opposed to waiting

bunge repped this.
  14. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the Fire is better in the long run without both of them. Never was a huge fan of Pappa and as I said he neutralized his good plays with some very bad ones too.

15. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who cares, he won a championship. There were 12 teams in 1998 and we won the championship, so if Bradley was willing to come back would you say the same thing about him.

16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Bradley doesn't want to leave Egypt.

17. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I wouldn't as Bradley was the best coach the Fire have ever had bar none. He's also a pretty good National Team coach too.

True Story: Years back (2007) when we played a friendly against Cracovia Krakow I happened to be in the Stadium Club after the game and had my picture taken with Piotr Nowak and Bob Bradley. While chatting with Bob after the picture I told him how much I missed him coaching the Fire. I felt bad after the fact (he had moved beyond coaching club soccer) because he would lead the US over Mexico in the Gold Cup two days later at Soldier Field.

18. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Bradley has had a lot of success since then as well. Nowak's only other accomplishment was leading the U-23s to a third place finish (1-1-1) in the group stages at Beijing. And wrecking a Philly team that played a very good style of soccer

19. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fine, I still would take Nowak in a heart beat.......I would NEVER say NO to Mr.FIRE.

20. TheButcher

TheButcher Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if you read what Philly had to say about him in the court documents. However, not only did he "blow up" that team, some very "not nice" things were said about him. Including and up to embezzlement.

This thread is ********ing hilarious. Klopas isn't going anywhere for at least 2 more years.

21. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bolded guy is my choice, and yes, he has coaching experience...(see, USOC 2012)

22. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    seconded.

23. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Wynalda was my choice before we got De Los Cobos but what could he improve on currently?

24. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I find myself somewhere in the middle of this whole discussion. I absolutely don't want to fire Frank and go in a different direction. He has a lot to learn and gets his ass handed to him tactically from time to time, but the players seem to want to run through walls for the guy and THAT is a huge thing that can't be discounted. I believe that Frank will continue to learn and grow as a coach and we should give him that chance.

Having said that, I want to pull my hair out when people seem to be so accepting of failure. There is this vibe that, "it's okay. We had a great season where we racked up a lot of points and just look at where we came from!" Sorry, but that drives me nuts. We did have a good season that ended up with a home loss in the play in game. You know what? Supporting Frank as coach and the players AND screaming at the top of our lungs that the end of this season is just not acceptable with any spin put on it are NOT mutually exclusive things.

We have done a better job of signing players, but there are still mistakes being made (Flaco). I'm still ultra-suspicious of our front office and I do believe that Andrew tries to do things on the cheap. I do support Frank and the team, but I have not problem saying that the end of this season was a complete flop and unacceptable. We were in a position to seal up home field advantage and have a bye through the playoff round. We couldn't close the deal and then we lose on our home field in the first game of the post-season. For a team that had a club record in points this season, THAT is completely unacceptable.

The apologist attitude and the overly critical attitude were best seen in the whole Pappa ordeal. One set of people were talking about how it was a brilliant move to sell him, but to keep a hold of him through the end of the season to try to win a championship because he makes us a better team and we have a shot right now while another group said, "sell him now as he will have one eye on europe the whole time." (and I admit that I was in that group). Then he gets sold, and everyone seemed to flip. The people who said it was brilliant to keep him were now saying it was brilliant to sell him and pocket extra cash. It's okay to say WTF Andrew? We were a better team with him and we would have a better shot by keeping him!

I realize there are several people who think I'm too negative, but honestly, I don't think I'm that negative about Frank and the team. That doesn't mean I won't call them out for delivering a shit sandwich like we got at the end of the year. I'm overly negative about Andrew. :) With the team, however, how many of you said, "oh, you have to give him at least three years" with Denis? How many of you were soft on Sarachan when we had a great year points-wise but didn't win the cup?

There has to be a healthy mix of support and criticism. Yes, we missed the playoffs for two years and sunk to an unacceptable place courtesy of our dear leader Andrew and his decision to first hire CDLC and then his refusal (that I think was driven by cash decisions) to fire him after that abortion of a first year when he lost his team in JUNE. But this is MLS where fortunes can turn quickly and where our fortunes DID turn relatively quickly and where we crashed out in game one. Be pissed. It's okay. We can all be pissed off and still support the coach and team.

25. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He also won an mls cup as coach with DC.
    We don't need a different coach we need better offensive players.