The Official Anthony Ampaipitakwong thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 15, 2011.

1. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal isnt going to have a problem finding young players, they are going to have a problem finding MLS ready players. Ampai has very few minutes this year, hes a pretty major risk for an expansion team.

Look at the 4 guys we've had selected, and look at the minutes they played the year of the expansion draft:

Riley 2055
    Salinas 1306
    Alvarez 1210 (1858 the year before)
    Cannon 1080 (2520 the year before)

Ampaipitakwong 546

Hes a pretty big risk, unless you have someone who was a huge admirer hes just not going to be on their radar. He doesnt have enough minutes to make them look closely at him.

There will be other players available on other teams that are good and safer picks.

2. soccerinparadise

Dec 18, 2009
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Well, here it is 2012, and Ampai is still lingering on the Reserve side of Frank Yallop's ballclub. For those more in the know, is the lack of playing time in 2011 into 2012 due to AA's "recurring groin injury" (similar to what occured to his former Akron teammate Blair Gavin @LA Galaxy), or is it due to coaching decision that he is not yet ready for duty with first team (la casa del perro)? Whichever it is, Zips fans and Ampai supporters are looking forward to his getting his chance finally.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    I think, unfortunately for Ampai, Rafael Baca came into the picture - a very similar player in terms of style and skill set, and has apparently moved ahead of him on the depth chart. Otherwise, I could see Ampai possibly getting some of the minutes that Baca is getting in the games. Competition is tough in central midfield. Fortunately the reserve matches give Ampai an opportunity to try to impress and potentially move up the depth chart.

4. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hate to say it, but I just don't think Ampai is MLS quality. Would love for him to prove me wrong.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have to agree. Even though he scored the lone goal on Sunday, I didn't see him as a presence on the field.

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not hitting our cap so we may as well keep him around through to next season to see if Moreno/Khari stick around and see if Ampai develops. Maybe loan him out to Tampa or Orlando this year. He has a great foundation of skills and quality resume... I wouldn't cut him loose or trade him just yet. If Moreno/Khari don't stick around for 2013 we will be in need of CAM depth behind Baca.

7. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Too early to tell. I didn't think Morrow was going to do anything after the first couple of years. His move to centerback as shown a different side and he has seemed to grow in confidence...

Amp has good fundamentals. Still hard to find these players.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is learning the most complex position for a college player transitioning to MLS. It was always going to take time. We've seen too many times the value of letting young college players who arent ready develop over time. You always abide by the three year rule. As someone else said everyone thought we were close to writing off Justin Morrow and hes turned into a hell of a pro.

I agree i hope that we can loan him to Tampa Bay or Orlando to get him valuable playing time. hes a very talented player and i think it would be mutually beneficial.

Id be extremely disappointed if we cut the chord with him, very good player.

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "Three-Year-Rule." I like it! Drink it!

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anthony Ampaipitakwong is two months shy of his 24th BD. I know there are some late bloomers (I.E. Wondo) but by now, he should be a full fledged pro. He either can play or he can't. I mean most players who win or play on World Cup teams are usually between the ages of 24-26 so I think his time to shine is now.....

11. RobsterCraw

RobsterCraw Member

Mar 28, 2008
    More like 25-29 but I agree with the point about Ampai. You should be delivering at the MLS level by the age of 24.

12. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Jay DeMerit movie, they said that if you haven't made your mark as EPL potential by age 19, you're washed up. And even if you make it by 19, many then wash out in the next 2 years.

13. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lots of MLS players don't become regulars until their mid/late 20s.

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this.

it doesnt sound like hes a bad player anyways, its more the fact we are absolutely stacked in the central midfield with quality.

15. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes sense for a league that is peopled with folks who don't try to get in after obtaining a 4 year college degree.

16. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I root for Thailand specifically, so I have my own reasons for wanting him to succeed, but it's true he could be full MLS pro during his career. At this point, even a higher league (like Mexican for example) is not even ruled out, if he keeps getting better and better. I think for some players, it would be easier to adjust to other leagues that are considered better but less physical.

17. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's what Klinsmann is trying to change. US players need to combine the skills they currently develop by ~25 with the speed they have at 19.

True, but maybe not in another 5 years. USSoccer, MLS, and youth coaches are trying to move to the European club model.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats true, some teams its bearing fruit for as well. Id agree completely that the relevance of college drafts relevancy in MLS will drop drastically after this season. Last year's class was probably the deepest we will ever see again. This next one only has 6 prospects off initial eye i would Gen Ad. Ideally we see much more academy products in our reserves matches in the next few years.

Be that as it may, Im staunchly against cutting loose players like Ampai simply on previous case studies of reserve players. No Wondo, no Morrow without the reserves. Give the guy this season and next to cut in a niche, just like the others. And its ALWAYS nice to have depth......see yesterdays game.

19. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Rosters are big enough now that players that bloom late can still contribute. Having a player ready to start at 21 or 22 is better than at 25 or 26. But even at 25 or 26, if they contribute it's still a good thing. It would be different if we didn't have a 30-man roster.

20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Good find - here's the google translation:

Interesting that they call him a defender, also that they shorten his name to Wong. While the translation is pretty poor, it does seem that a contract is being negotiated for him to play in Thailand. Hopefully it's a loan, and the Quakes retain ownership of him, that would seem to be the smart thing to do.

22. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he doesn't drown in the Lake of the Thai Premier League. Good luck to him.

23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Some good stuff in there. Quakes are "Major League Soccer's Team of the United States", kind of like an "America's Team" thing I guess. We are in our "second moment of battle" - I guess since 2008. Ampai is the "midfielder statue of San Jose" (come on, he's not that slow). They did not meet at a "quality hotel".

24. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thai would be much harder to interpret than any european language, this is about as good as it gets for a computer. Wish him luck.

25. soccerbone

soccerbone Member+

Apr 12, 2002
    Los Altos, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Release Ampai, pick up Alas?