The Official Adam Jahn thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 12, 2013.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correcting post....

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Go Jahn go!

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Isn't it great that the SLOW MAN Got another goal? :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    He's a Sloooooow Man,
    Dah-dah---dah-dah, Dah-dah--dah-dah (man it's hard to write music with text)

5. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's okay, I thought the same thing as soon as I read it. And my parents have one of those cheesy animated figures that has a snow man on it, whose hips gyrate to the song, but the words are "Snooow Maannn"

6. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love this kid. Keep it up Adam! We gonna need him the next 3 weeks with Gordon's suspension!

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam may be slow, but he's a quality finisher. He hasn't had a lot of chances, but he's put at least three on frame, got two goals and a PK. I think Frank should put him in with 15 or 20 minutes to go. Have him replace Lenny. That way he'll have a real chance to contribute.

go quakes!

- Mark

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't care if he is as slow as a turtle as long as he scores goals! :)

10. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I actually like him as a complement to Lenhart as he was against Portland. If you look at that play, Lenhart is playing deeper than Jahn, but pretty much in a straight line behind him. Lenhart wins that ball as he's supposed to, then Jahn gets a flick on header into the box, as he's supposed to. After that, Jahn drops back a little to find the open space in the box and Lenhart is still underneath him in case the ball pops out of the penalty area.

Jahn coming in allows Lenhart and the Quakes to have a better option in the midfield for ball winning. Without two target forwards, Lenhart has to play deep to win balls, but the only person to give it to going forward really is Wondo. The other option is to try to get it wide. Jahn adds the forward option, which it nice for playing balls through the air. Lenhart might actually be more useful in the midfield than he is on the forward line.

The other way to do it is let Lenhart and Jahn kind of move up and back based on the situation, so Lenhart could wear the forwards out a bit, and then as he gets tired of getting into tussles with defenders, drops back to distribute out of the midfield without worrying about having to immediately get forward.

I'm starting to think the Quakes are better overall with two target forwards on the field. What would be great is if Frank would allow for three defenders or figure out how to get Beitashour to stay in midfield a little more as support when the Quakes are in possession so they could have a more robust midfield in general.

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was some desperation throw everyone forward play. We had a bunch of guys in their box, and they lost a couple of us.

Having lots of attacking players is sexy, and it scores goals, which is the whole point, but we need a formation and lineup that work whether we are on offense or defense. If we need a better midfield, maybe we should think about replacing one or two of our current midfielders? Know what I'm sayin'?

We need to play Shea and Chavez out wide (and put Corrales out to pasture!) to get the width and speed that made us successful last season. If we still aren't getting enough control and or production out of midfield, then we can replace Baca with either Ring or Tommy. Ring gives us more bite and more confidence in the center, but less attacking options. (Croninja plays up when Ring is on, and Sam is more offensive minded than Brad, so it works.) Tommy is an out and out attacking midfielder, so he's what many on these boards want, but he's still really raw.

The only way that playing two target forwards is going to work for us is in a 4-3-3, and then our midfield would really suck.

Lenny is much better than I had anticipate when we signed him, but he's not a midfielder.

Nah. Frank is always going to play with four in the back, a 3-5-2 would be killer, but we're not going to see it while Frank is head coach.

For now, I want to see Adam come on for Lenny with about 20 minutes to go, and I want to see speedy outside mids, and no more Ramiro.

go quakes!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  12. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think two target forwards also works because the opponents can't just put their best header of the ball on our target. They need both of their CBs to be great in the air and able to beat their matchup, and in many teams one CB is clearly weaker in that area.

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark totally shot me down, but I still like the idea. I think it occupies defenders more, plus it is good in confusing assignments if two target forwards kind of drift in and out of being around the box. The added benefit is if you do crash the box, Wondo might likely get free more often since balls played through the air would require more defenders to challenge for them.

The real vulnerabilities will lie on the defensive side if you stick to having four midfielders. I think Lenhart and Gordon are both more than capable of being really deep playing forwards, which should allow for a three man midfield, with Beitashour or Morrow moving in to occupy the wide spaces for longer stretches of time. Mark is most likely right in that we'd probably never see it out of Frank, but based on the assets available to the team currently, I think it would be the most efficient use of the various players.

14. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO the key is to be flexible. We've got the dump and run thing down, now we have to establish the potential of a possession game. Who can come off the bench to lock down a game?

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Another reason to like Adam: He was at the Stanford women's rugby match today supporting the Cardinal in their Division I Final Four match.

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, how did they do? I don't thing you have to go to "other games" to tell us. Wow, women's rugby.

18. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    No, need an [R] on that puppy! :--)

19. vjle

vjle Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since you asked, from my post elsewhere....

A big shout out to the women's rugby team of tiny Norwich University of Northfield, Vermont, who today defeated perennial power Stanford to reach the national Division I final (in their first season in Division I). It was a thrilling match that Norwich won in stoppage time with a 3-point kick from distance on the final play of the game. Another shout to the large contingent of Norwich parents who made the trip west for the match.

Attached Files:

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good job Jahn in notching his 3rd goal! I'm happy for him!

21. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    "Pillow feet" strikes again! :D

22. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like Jahn. Yes he still has a lot to learn but I like how he focuses on playing the game. His concentration and calmness allows him to score those goals. Despite his height, he is more like Wondo than Lenhart and Gordon. He likes to kind of join the attack late to find the space and passes.

I hope he keeps developing his other aspects of the game and the coach uses him to his strength. I mean, if he is not really a target forward like the Bash brothers, then don't just drop him for that reason.

23. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think the coaching staff have used him about as well as anyone could. I talked about it a bit before but Jahn's skills lie somewhere between the target forward and the poaching forward, which is interesting because he can play balls on and then do a disappearing act and lose his marker, only to pop up around the goal mouth.

Way back in this thread I think we were talking about how his college scoring suggested he wouldn't be that great, but how he had a very large increase in goals (11, I think), which also coincided with him getting a new coach. It appears that his collegiate career high is a lot closer to his true self than the whole of his college years might suggest. That is excellent news for San Jose if they can keep him around.

One of the other benefits of his style is that he doesn't have to play a purely physical game to be successful. That might translate into fewer injuries than Lenhart and Gordon are prone to. There haven't been too many young players that I've gotten really excited about but it's hard not to get excited when somebody gets a chance and capitalizes on those chances with a very positive attitude toward the whole situation.

24. evade6317

evade6317 Member+

Jun 27, 2007
    Savannah, GA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jahn came in for an injured Baca versus Colorado and I think he flourished at CM. He was all over the field and did the job in attack and in defending. He's becoming one of my favorite players on the team.

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He really seems to be coming into his own with each passing week. Defensively he looked good. I happy for the local Davis/ Stanford kid!