The Official Adam Jahn thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You beat me to it Goodsie! To think I was among the rest of the 100 people who watched Adam Jahn's last college game (Stanford @ CAL Edwards Stadium) where he scored 3 goals. Here is hoping he makes it big!

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about that. :(

It certainly does seems like yesterday. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he did nothing against UCLA last year aside from convert a pk that he didn't earn. I did notice he had a good first touch on hold up play in preseason, but he never looked dangerous or like getting on the end of things in the box b/c he lacks mobility.

I'm really impressed with how he is improving. I did not think he would be useful at the MLS level this season, or ever. Hope he keeps making me eat crow!

5. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Apparently he has the nickname "pillow feet". He's got an odd style - he is slow and trots around in a non-threatening 3rd gear all the time, and looks almost timid at times, but his first touch is very good, soft feet as his nickname suggests, and if he can make plays like the ones he made last Sunday, he will be a useful player. He is about the same size as Cam Weaver I think, and kind of looks like him. But while Weaver is probably "faster" (relatively speaking), he doesn't have a very good first touch, based on his work with the Quakes in '09.

Oh, and he needs major work on his goal celebration :). He tried to sort of do a slide, but wound up just sort of getting "stuck" and falling awkwardly forward.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He scored 24 goals in his whole college career and 3 in his last game. I guess compared to many, its not bad...

7. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    There is a noticeable bump in his stats his last year - 13 goals in 18 matches. Maybe he's kind of coming into his own.

8. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I noticed that, too. It's difficult to tell with only one season as high as that, but he scored a great goal last week, he wasn't far off from converting a second (he was just a little out of position on the back post for a Wondo cross) and then fired a great header on target for the PK. Three good looks in pretty short time frame suggests good things for him. The staff must have had some confidence in him or he wouldn't have been put in to begin with. Let's hope he can continue to build on his early successes.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Although he only really scored 10 in 17 games and a hat trick against Cal as Cal's defense lagged in the 2nd half in his final college game. Good for him though if he is coming into his own as not too many rookies score in only their 2nd professional game right out of college.

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, though even 10 out of 17 is a pretty good clip. He might have actually scored 2 goals in his 2nd game if it were not for the handball - in all of a handful of minutes. I'm not going to get too excited about it though - he played a lot in preseason and didn't score and barely got a shot off IIRC. He is probably not a guy that will ever really be able to impose his will on a game. More like a guy who needs to play with good players who can give him good service, etc.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He could turn into another Lenny although as opposed to Jahn, no one really knew him out of college. Currently though, Lenny is a much stronger and smarter player but I guess that comes with experience.....

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I would say that he is a much different player than Lennie. I've read the comparisons, but I don't see it. Lennie is very aggressive and moves pretty quickly for a big guy. Jahn is much slower and much more timid, but seems to have better touch.

13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lenhart is an athletic freak, of a family of athletic freaks. His younger brother Daniel is the star player on UCLA's water polo team (and wears Steve's number 24). I saw him sitting near our away section at an LA game last year... he is an ogre. He led UCLA to the national championship game last season where they lost 11-10 to archrivals U$C. I think the surfing/swimming that Steve Lenhart does probably helps his mobility/agility on the soccer field.

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I hear surfing really helps your athleticism. Maybe Sigi should take it up considering he criticizes Lenhart so much even though he "drafted him".

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I think they'd have to design some kind of special counter-weight surfboard in order for that to be possible.

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he would need Greenpeace shadowing him to protect against Japanese trawlers.

markmcf8, bsman and Neuwerld repped this.
  17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd sink the board.

18. methodic

methodic Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Rockwall, TX.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean wind drafting to conserve one's energy? Lenny would have no issues drafting behind the girth of sigi. Hell, Bruce's ego would suffice as well.

Oh well, back to chanting for the stadium building asteroid to finally make it's impact!

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a pretty good read. It's interesting that his turn around in goal scoring at Stanford coincided with a coaching change. That might explain a great deal and suggests that he is, in fact, quite talented. I'd be happy if he starts whether it's because Fucito isn't cleared to play or just because the target option is preferred.

21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Completing only four classes from a distinguished school like Stanford is not that many. I heard that if they had scholarships , they are aloud to go back and take classes free of charge.

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Far from hero this week......

23. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought he played very well. Good holdup play, good passing, good touch, good pressuring of the opponents, good tracking back, good defending in the box. Didn't get many shots off, but other than that I thought he was great. He reminded me of Gordon-lite. Not as strong, but in the same mold. Lenhart is slightly different: faster, more aggressive, less emphasis on holding up the ball but more of a threat to get in behind.

Jahn won 9 headers vs Columbus, more than anyone on the field besides Cronin (12! :eek:). He also had the most "key passes" on the team with 3. http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2013-03-16-CLB-v-SJ/chalkboard

markmcf8 and mangerson repped this.
  24. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. He doesn't always anticipate well, but that'll come. He looks a very good understudy to Lenhart and Gordon. And he'll have to be on a fast learning curve if Lenny can't recover without futher surgery.

25. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I thought he did fine. And the team played better with a true target forward. Who would have thought? ;)