The Official 2013 Greatest College Football Conference Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Catracho_Azul, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Louisville to win the BCS? I saw them get blown against Syracuse they are a long way from even being in the discussion.

2. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    lol.. winning the BCS.. Sure I think they can run the table due to the fact that they have a very weak scheduleconference and Teddy Bridgewater receiving insurmountable hype from football analysts, but does he really think they can beat a team like A&M and Bama in the natty? lulz

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Teams from basketball conferences don't get far in the pageant. Louisville has no shot.

Not that I think Louisville will get past the swimsuit competition, but does A&M really have that great of a team? Sure, they beat Bama, but losses to division non-champs Florida and LSU and close wins against Ole Miss and La Tech (allowed 57 points) suggest that they're still an unfinished project.

4. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

I think their defense is better than last seasons.. also their WR core is going to be stellar again, but the large question looming is their O-Line. Its really young, plus losing someone like Luke Joeckel and what.. 3 other starters on your O-Line from last season will always have an impact especially in the SEC, but then again Johnny Heisman doesn't really need a line if he insists on scrambling all the time.

You might have a point though regarding the unfinished project.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This.

QBs scramble when their protection breaks down and no one's open (or open yet). OTOH, when they see an opening and make a good gain by simply not being a traffic cone, it's called moving the ball down the field.

I really do think they're going to drop from last season with those line issues.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Heisman did a good job of doing both with his feet.

We'll see how they do.. they have Alabama really early in the season. lol @ playing Sam Houston State and Rice followed by hosting Bama at Kyle Field. Whose the genius behind that.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's common practice for a lot of SEC programs to pad their stats by playing down a division or down a tier while padding their stats against Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. Look at Alabama v. Georgia State and UT-Chattanooga, LSU v. Furman, Kent State and UAB, Georgia v. Ap St and North Texas, you get the picture. The days of programs playing only those programs near or at their level are almost over. I can think of only two programs that've never stooped to scheduling cupcakes, and of those, I'm not absolutely sure Notre Dame hasn't fallen off the wagon- I'll have to look at their recent schedules. Hell, Michigan played Ap St and lost.

8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

LSU has already did the gauntlet OOC schedule thing and survived..Oregon, WVU.. I don't see why'd they would do it again.

But I was more-so talking about why Aggies scheduled two cupcake teams before they face off against the defending champs and SEC West favorites, Alabama. I don't think those two games will serve purpose for their game against Bama.. and imo will make Aggies feel a little better than what they might potentially be.. you follow me? lol I'm a little skeptical of that.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Because it's a new season? My D1-A program played an SEC program last season. Hoover, Permian and Valdosta are probably next in line...

Might have been the way other teams' schedules fell that made it impossible to do anything else.

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Should read, "D1-AA". Sorry.

I'm going to hold off this FCS noise as long as I can. Nothing wrong with D1-A and D1-AA.

11. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    btw have you seen this Dylan Moses kid at camp yet??? It seems at every camp he goes too he puts up super human numbers for a 2017 recruit.. its almost unbelievable.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This will be Manziel's last season of developmental football, mark my words. No way can he mentally handle two more seasons of this kind of scrutiny, let alone three. And IMO he's blocked the door for any Heisman contenda who isn't going to be playing with grown men the following season- the past winners are not gonna want two guys with Heismans on their resume still bebopping around college with time on their hands.

He deserved the Heisman, IMO, but if ever there was a good reason for why freshmen don't get the sort of consideration that upperclassmen traditionally get, this is it.

14. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bama for the three peat.

hasselbrad repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    S.I.: Manziel Doesn't Do Himself Any Favors Getting Axed From the Manning QB Camp

Understand the way the Manning camp works. Approximately 1,200 aspiring quarterbacks, grades eight through 12, go to Nicholls (La.) State University in Thibodaux, La., for a long weekend every July to be tutored by quarterback coaches, college quarterbacks and the Manning boys themselves. The campers arrive on Thursday, take the field Friday and Saturday, watch a throwing exhibition by the college and pro quarterbacks there Saturday night, then leave late Sunday morning. One of the draws is having some top quarterbacks come -- and not just the Mannings. Kids are excited to be in the presence of quarterbacks like Johnny Manziel, who was assigned to one group of between 12 to 16 young passers.

Manziel was spotted at a bar in Thibodaux early Friday morning, and he was late for one of the Friday coaching sessions. No one's sure where he was Friday night, but he was a no-show for a two-hour session Saturday morning, and the staff had to cover for him. (Imagine you're a high school sophomore, you're excited about coming to the Manning camp, and, as if that's not enough, you walk in for orientation Thursday night and hear, "Johnny Football's going to be your counselor.'' You're all jacked up, and then you show up Saturday for a two-hour workout with Manziel ... and he's nowhere to be found. Not good.)

Confronted by the staff early Saturday afternoon, Manziel said he wasn't feeling well and had to miss the Saturday session. Even if that were true, the staff wasn't pleased that Manziel never called and left the coaches short-handed. It was then that someone -- Archie, by some reports -- told Manziel it would be best for everyone if he went home.

So why does this matter? Manziel is a tremendous multi-purpose talent as a quarterback. But his size (6-foot-0 and 195 pounds, approximately) and suspect arm strength will work against him when the NFL studies him. The Russell Wilson and Drew Brees examples will help convince teams that short guys can play, but Wilson and Brees are Eagle Scouts. No team will ever have to worry about either off the field. Manziel's already been arrested at Texas A&M once, for a 2012 altercation. He's got a party-boy rep, deserved or not. When he's studied by NFL teams, either next offseason or in 2015, they'll dig in to all of this stuff. And the lack of responsibility -- letting down the Manning family in being a no-show for a commitment coaching kids -- is the kind of red flag every team will ask about.

Maybe, but if the arm strength proves to be not suspect, no one will care that much.

That said, if he has the

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed. But I think he can get into the NFL, and nobody will care what the backup or third-string rookie does with his spare time. Unlike the other Heisman candidates, he came out of nowhere and was never coached to handle being under a magnifying glass.

You're gonna have to finish this one before anyone can comment.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://espn.go.com/college-football...university-texas-fraternity-party-report-says

This guy can't seem to help himself. He goes to a frat party at Texas and expects to be treated well???? It's weird, because he could walk into a room I was in and I'd have to look at him two or three times before I knew who he was unless someone told me up front. I'm fairly certain a bunch of fratboys from another conference wouldn't be able to recognize him out of uniform- he must have gone in there swaggering or something...

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

This guys life/career, w.e in college right now is becoming a circus.. whats this I hear about his eligibility for the upcoming season?? Have you heard anything about that?

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Manziel's gonna be the last freshman even called up to NYC for a few decades, lol. He was in no way, shape or form prepared for this. Freshmen don't talk to the media at A&M (a good rule, IMO), so he won the Heisman Trophy without even being part of a proper press conference. The Mannings have been in the spotlight since HS, and between that and Archie's knowledge, this would never have happened to either of them.

I haven't heard anything yet, but it's only 3:22 PM. My first gut guess is he'll never suit up again for the Aggies. The No Class Asshole Association will suspend him pending an investigation- an investigation which will probably take at least the entire 2013 season.

Slightly side issue: The NCAA member schools should have demanded up front that all investigations take no more than a week from the beginning to either restoring eligibility or denying it. Nobody ought to be in street clothes while some policy wonk takes his time with other people's professional development.

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  21. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Johnny Heismanless TAMU.. that should make for an interesting SEC West.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

The West was never going to be interesting. TAMU lost what- four OLinemen? Between Bama's being the only troo contenda in the West and their OOC schedule, they should arrive in ATL undefeated and will prolly have impressed the pageant judges enough along the way to walk into another B(C)S title game.

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

Unless LSU plays spoiler :devilish: a man can dream, neaux?

24. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't see LSU losing to anyone in the West but Bama. If they DO beat Bama, they'll probably win the West. They're still prolly the second-best team in that conference, but as in the other seasons, there's one SEC team that's good enough to win the B(C)S and the others (like Georgia before the SEC title game last year) are dickriders. This year, I think it's Bama. I could be wrong, tho.

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

We'll see.. we visit Athens, Georgia in week 5 then host Florida in Week 7.. if we can manage to win both games, then who ever wins the game in TTown will be the BCS winner imo.