The Official 2013 Greatest College Football Conference Thread

Discussion in 'Football' started by Catracho_Azul, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Hendrixforpope repped this.
  2. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Among the comments: "If you accept $3000 to not go to the NFL, you need your grades altered".

What amazes me is the way people are willing to get in front of a mic and tell all their misdeeds. Why? If I get financial compensation to play college ball, I'm not saying anything about it at all, ever.

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Refer back to the comment you quoted.

5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Even stupid people can keep a secret, especially when it's their own reputation at stake.

IIRC, Gene Jelks was broke and needed the money he got for an interview to spill the dirt on himself. I get that, even tho I don't see how he could be broke. Eric Ramsey was angry at Auburn because he felt they didn't do enough to put him in the NFL (even tho they got him an NFL tryout, which may have been more than he deserved as an athlete), so he snitched on them. I don't agree with it, but I get that, too. What I I don't get is people being willing to bite the hand that fed them if theyre not getting anything in return but airtime or blogtime.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only assume some players think it's a raw deal in general or they want to dissuade others from making the same mistake they did. The ESPN article doesn't touch on something in the Roopstigo article where it was said that Chizik and his assistants had particular disdain for dreads and tattoos and a lot of black players felt the rules and disdain were targeted at them. From the Roopstigo article:

Part of playing for Auburn, as McNeil says, was a privilege. But as several former players suggested, there also was a price to play for being high profile. What they wore was under inspection and how they styled their hair was a bone of contention. “When the new coaches came in under Chizik, they implemented new rules and it was kind of no tolerance, but it always seemed to be aimed at the black guys,” says Blanc. “Chizik didn’t like tattoos and he didn’t like dreads.” Players say Chizik asked them to cut their dreadlocks, part of an ongoing culture war within the program – and outside of it. Players describe police as part of the program of surveillance. “We were targeted by police,” says Antoine Carter, Auburn’s former star defensive end. “You’d get harassed. They would pull you over for nothing as a way to keep track of you.” McNeil remembers turning right on red, a legal move, but finding police lights behind him. He says police drew their guns on him over a traffic stop.

If that's true, I can understand speaking out and trying to spare others from what they view as a toxic culture. Sure, Chizik is gone, but Malzahn's there and he was part of that program at the time.

7. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  8. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Wow. Didn't know about any of this. If it's true --and I really have no doubt that it is-- then Chizik's an even bigger fool than a possible bigot. Idiotic rules about facial hair or hairstyles or tats have to be universal nationally or they don't work long run. You tell a four or five-star recruit that he's got to cut his dreads or that he can't get (any more) tats, he'll probably figure out there's a bunch of control freak shit you got going on that you're not telling him about, and he'll take his talent elsewhere.

We'll see how much run this part of the story gets. As you say, ESPN's already missed the boat- "Auburn football may have done something corrupt" has a "Bears shit in the woods" kinda tone to it. "Black players at Auburn harrassed by police, discouraged from wearing dreads by coaching staff", OTOH, is a waaaaaaay bigger story, certainly on the national level.

nicodemus repped this.
  10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Alabama head coach Nick Saban, Coaches on the field AJ McCarron, Barrett Jones, Jeremy Shelley and Cade Foster and the supporting cast of the Crimson Tide football team were at the White House today to meet their nation's leader.

Question: Do the NCAA champs (S. Dakota State) get this trip to the White House, and if so, do the champions of all the other NCAA-sanctioned competitions receive this honor? I know the B(C)S titlists visit, as do the NCAA baseball and basketball winners, but what about golf? Volleyball? Tennis? Swimming? Just curious to know whether the honor is bestowed to all NCAA champs or only those who play popular sports.

11. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think pretty much just the popular sports. Alabama won titles in football, gymnastics, softball and women's golf last year, but I think only the football team got invited to the White House. That being said, gymnastics and softball are both very popular at Alabama (gymnastics averages well over 10K per meet), but they aren't popular nationally.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's a shame. I don't think the White House ought to be using popularity to determinine which teams to invite. I know the trip to DC is a tradition, and I know no president has a lot of time, but this could be done for all of them somehow. I'd rather see every title-winning team from a given school visit at the same time. Saban can share a bit of spotlight with Sarah Patterson and the other two.

I've been known to watch SEC gymnastics on multiple occasions. I don't watch Olympic gymnastics- those girls are too damn young. #notaperv

13. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly think he'd be fine with that. He called and/or met in person with all of the women's teams before their championships.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, I don't think he'd mind at all- I was simply saying that if college champs are going to be honored, then the White House has (and had) a responsibility IMO to treat them all the same, from B(C)S to DII. I do get limiting the pro champ visits to the most popular sports.

On another note: End of an era.

Updyke and that dude who teabagged a teenage boy will have some time to think while they're behind bars. I hope their sentences can send a message to the conference's fans about having a life outside the college game.

15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lol that is something I didn't picture from conversing with you.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Shouldn't be too difficult to get- the SEC girls are grown. Legal. It's not like Olympic girls, who are early teens. I don't watch completely for the athleticism- that's why it matters.

17. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    LSU tailback, Jeremy Hill, has been suspended indefinitely from the team for his involvement in an off-campus brawl over the weekend.

And the legend of LSU's brightest players getting kicked off the team continues!! Wonder who'll be the chosen one next season.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Best, maybe. Brightest? Not by a long shot. The brightest is likely some other Tiger, a scout teamer or third stringer even you probably don't know about.

At some point, SEC football players are going to have to realize that they live a completely different existence from college students. There's someone out there every day who wants to try them, and all it's going to do is take money out of their pockets in the long term. I've done some stupid shit in my life, but I know for damn sure I could live very quietly off whatever LSU was paying me, staying away from clubs and bars until I got an NFL contract.

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    This isn't the first time Jeremy Hill has ran into the law.. last one almost cost him his scholarship to LSU. For a kid who parties hard with Johnny Football in the streets of New Orleans during Mardi Gras, the kid can flat out ball.

He probably won't be the only one to be kicked off the team this off-season. I'll take a gander and say someone like Kwon Alexander gets kicked off next.

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, looks like someone in this region has managed to find a bit of sense. Hill was formally charged today.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/conversations/_/id/9460113/jeremy-hill-lsu-tigers-formally-charged-bar-fight

The article implies that he has a sex charge as well. Carnal knowledge of a minor- my understanding is, it was some head from his 14 year-old GF when he was an 18 year-old senior in HS. But why the hell can't a top athlete headed to an SEC program find trim that's within the legal limits for his age? So stupid that the senior girls won't have anything to do with him?

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

I thought they dropped the sex charges.. which is how he was able to enroll a year after his decision date to LSU in the first place...

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Link says he was on probation for it, and that this latest brush with the law is a violation.

24. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras

What an idiot. Thankfully Alfred Blue has recovered fully from his injury.

25. erick

erick Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Bama Nation
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tim Brando he picked Louisville to win BCS & Bama to finish No. 7 - losing to A&M and UGA in SEC.

Typical Brando. F you.