The Official 2012 Pre and Regular Season News, Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by glyconerd, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope you're right I am hearing very bad things, VERY BAD.

will not post until I can get more info, dont want to spread false rumors

2. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Going mobile don't do us dirty like that . You can't leave us hanging. What bad rumors? Like selling the team? C'mon man spill

3. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rey, can you clarify? Feel free to re-post in Spanish.
    It sounds like you are making my point for me. No more non-Mexicans in our youth academy. Is that right?
    Don't forget, it's just my opinion.
    I don't mind being wrong. :)
    Gracias!

4. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF!?! Chivas Apartheid? Racist much? Anti-American? Sounds like there is a huge risk that demons of 2005 could rear their ugly heads again.

5. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Game kick back bro. I know you feel discriminated against. It's not like that. That policy literally can't come back but we were supposed to be the team that capatalizes on the Chicano talent that was being underutilized in the MLS. We went completely in the opposite direction over the past few years so much that NONE of our starters were one of those Chicano kids. Why does it matter if their Chicano you ask? Because traditionally the Chicano youth although just as talented as their Anglo, Asian, or African American counterparts, have pitiful representation at the collegiate level. So again, this team was to be a platform for those kids that maybe didn't go to college but still have dreams of making it. It's hard for you to understand game face. We're from a self loathing population not quite wanted by either our American father or Mexican mother (metaphorically speaking) imagine not being Considered American enough by Americans or Mexican enough by Mexicans. I bet u most of the Chicanos on this forum will tell u . We are 100% Mexican but 1000% American . It's limbo bro. So a team like this could be a metaphorical home of sorts. But instead we became any boring team USA.

6. Gameface

Gameface BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 25, 2000
    Southern California
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So let me get this straight, adopting an overt policy based on ethnic or racial discrimination is a good thing? There is nothing wrong with promoting one's roots, but you shouldn't do it by alienating or discriminating against others. The suggestion that it's a good thing to cast off academy players due to nothing more than ethnicity or national origin is vile and truly ANTI-AMERICAN. If this is the policy, you are ultimately promoting self-isolation and ethnic exclusion are you not?

In terms of understanding, it's not all that hard since my family immigrated here in the 1950s. They had their own unique challenges with the language, culture, and religious norms here in the states. They faced discrimination and isolation as immigrants and often found comfort within their own ethnic community. I know how it feels to be not enough for one and too much for the other. That limbo is a pretty common chord for the first generation born here in the States. Bro, I GET IT because my own family (including my wife) has lived in varying stages of limbo for most of it's existence here. I see no value in coping with this struggle by discriminating against others.

Going Mobile repped this.
  7. sodi_gar

sodi_gar Member

Aug 2, 2006
    murrieta, ca
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Can't argue with that. But I won't lie to you broder. I would still like to see an Omar Gonzalez or some Farfan brothers on our team. Not all but at least one or two starters. Our team doesn't aggressively seek these players out. So now the galaxy is more and more seemingly like the big spender for DP's and th beacon for southern California talent( and yes I mean the Chicano kids too).

8. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Make no Mistake, if the Academy players aren't Mexican, we will not look at them. They will "flock" to the Galaxy

If im correct -You are saying that if our academy players are Not Mexican / Mexican root the academy would not put attention to them and they would go play with the Galaxy
    Is that correct?

If it is correct and I understood right then this comment should make sense
    think it is a win …win scenario for everyone TEAM USA and el TRI
    if we are able to assemble a good institution,
    remember the person/ PLAYER has the last called ( he makes the decision) in which national team they want to play
    just imagine CHIVAS USA having players in both the USA and EL TRI that would be bad ass ….lots of work to do before this happens

9. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    game face I think you are taking it the wrong way bro,
    I’m sure there will be way much more Latinos in the club ( good quality players I hope) but that does not mean we would not recruit Anglos or that they would not play in our team
    If you ask me - I would like Chivas USA to play only with players that were born in USA not in Mexico that would give us a real identity and once and for all get rid of that BS of fake Chivas
    You can’t discriminate here in the US that is what makes this beautiful country so unique
    Chivas USA is a unique Club and I think I we

10. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I understand.
    This really is all too complicated than it should be.
    Given the poor performance of our first team in the last 3 seasons and the recent upswing of our youth academdies, we should consider all possibilities.

At the same time, we should look at what hasn't worked:

-We cannot afford to ignore players (including the youth) because they aren't Mexican, Mexican-American, or Chicanos.

-We have limited resources ($$$) so it would benefit us to scout for all types of talent regardless of racial or cultural background.

-We have not drafted well in the MLS superdraft. Other than Townsend, we no one left from our first round picks (Valentin to Montreal, Gavin to NE, Lahoud to Philly, Cunliffe to ?) and that has hurt us.

-A lack of identity is hurting our team. My hope is Vergara lays down the framework and spells it out. I hope he listened to Domene talk about SoCal/California players forming the base of the first team.

-Lastly, we cannot deny that Chivas de Guad will come and take our best CHICANO talent and convince them to play for "The Real Chivas". It's inevitable and unrealistic if we think otherwise. Everyone knows Chivas de Guad has agreat youth academy but taking "our" kids will make them better and us weaker.

I do agree with Rey that it would be nice to have Chivas USA players in the USMNT and for the Mexican team. Badass? Well, keep in mind that former Chivas USA players Brad Guzan, Johnny Bornstein, and Sacha Kjelstan have already played for the US national team. None of them are Chicanos. Well, maybe Johnny. :)

11. crazy al

crazy al Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was checking to see what was going on with your club and started following this thread. Here are a couple of thoughts from a complete outsider.
    1) Omar Gonzalez is a Texan, a Dallas Texan. This youth club has produced several professional footballers, Ramon Nunez, Hunter Freeman, Jay Needham, Chase Wileman, Bruno Guarda and Omar to name a few. The Texans' success was taking the best players regardless of ethnicity, putting them with good coaches and demanding results. Results were defined as skill and decisoin making development. With that, the victories took care of themselves. Chivas USA academy should consider a similar philosophy.
    2) Don't limit your talent pool to one group. If they are good enough, any person can rise to the top. Provide quality coaching, teach skills and how to play the game (in whatever style you preach) and the talent will come.
    3) The environment may be better in California than Texas. But, based on the anamosity between Mexican Americans and Mexican nationals in Texas, I can't see Chivas-G taking Mexican American players. Chivas prides itself on being a pure team (Mexican nationals only). Along the Texas border there is a resentment wth each group (Mex-Amer and Mex nationals) feeling they are better than the other. Can't see the Guadalajara fans adopting a U.S. born Mexican ethnic player.
    4) I hope the new (old) ownership turns things around for you. The prior plan failed. They need to step back and ask themselves "what does it take to be successful in MLS?" If their ideas seem compatible with what it takes to win in MLS, great; otherwise, go to plan B.

sikolec repped this.
  12. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep in mind, that we follow the same principles you describe. We get the best talent we can get here in Southern California.
    What is at stake, is a restructuring of this philosophy by an owner who sees Chivas USA as a farm club (potentially) for his bigger club. Chivas de Guad is very interested in So Cal talent because they now see Club Tijuana as a threat to attaining that talent. They've already poached from us before. As a Chivas USA fan, we might be losing CUSA academy players to Tijuana AND Guadalajra. I hope that is not the case.
    In the mean time, we're still not sure what will happen until Vegara lays out his manifesto for our LA Goats.