The Official 2012 Fire Backe Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Mar 18, 2012.

1. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    If a player like Meara and Agudelo like several others that has signed with a foreign team because they is looking for better environment than the place they playing and the team at the same time benefit from this transfer, it is the ideal thing to do for a young player and for the team...But Agudelo don't live the RBNY because in Chivas will have better place to develop, he did because the Wizard don't want put him to play, right now with Henry in the DL one of the first time tof 1/2 dozen that will happen this year and he don't want put him to play, what will happen if, if, repit if, Rodgers come back, he knows he will be ignored for good, in 2 1/2 years Backe only play him a dfosen of times, what he can expect now with Copper and with the monky in his back, that Rodgers is in his way if last year with out Cooper he only play exporadic games, how about with Rodgers, Cooper and Henry, he hasn a choice but to live, not becausae was his dream, no, because he knows Backe never will play him again....

2. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think Meara is a bit different as he's a GK. It's a tougher market for them and it's much more beneficial for him to get PT

3. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No player is untouchable. If a team came to me with the right price you bet your a$$ I'm selling him.

That being said I think Meara stays on with us for at least 2 more years. GK's take much longer to develop and don't normally command as much money in the open market. Meara is playing great, but IMO he'd have to take his play to an entirely other level for someone to come in with a big offer that would cause Red Bull to sell.

4. odsum5387

odsum5387 Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meara is a starter and Agudelo was the third striker behind Henry and Cooper, so it's not really a comparable situation. A first choice goalkeeper is not an asset you sell midseason without a clear alternative. A third striker who will undoubtedly be sold to Europe in a couple of years is replaceable, even in the case of a talented player like Agudelo. This reminds me of the Freddy Adu trade to RSL, although Agudelo's stay in LA may be longer than 6 months. (I would think that he gets sold next summer or even at the end of next year.) It seems that he forced Soler's hand in all this anyway, so it's all kind of moot.

5. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well, no, because like I just said, he is our starter and not a sub. If Agudelo was our best striker and playing 90 minutes each match then this would have been an entirely different trade, but he wasn't. He was our 3rd, possibly soon to be 4th best striker if Rodgers came back, who was never going to get consistent playing time because he wanted to play the same role as Henry.

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    IF....IF....IF... A magic word.....
    You don't think so that If Backe since 2010 will give Agudelo more playing time, at this time he will be our #1 striker?. .....That is the question.....And I think that, yes, he will be a la par with Henry, but Henry because Agudelo make some Goals that he was used to do 100 years ago and Backe because isn't his choice of player, don't want to give the Kidd a chance.....and that is the true....

7. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't know - I think a team that knows American goalkeepers history in the Premiership might take a flier on a guy with a lot of potential - I could easily see him going to Europe before Agudelo.

Back to the topic of the thread - gotta give some kudos to the coach for this run - I never would have predicted it after we were left so short handed and while it wasn't pretty and I still don't like his love for Ballouchy and his subbing patterns, he deserves a fair amount of credit for getting these results and closing in on the best record in MLS.

8. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It's not that simple metz, playing time isn't the only thing that makes a player successful with a team. The problem is that Agudelo plays a very similar style to Henry, so they made a terrible partnership and obviously he should never play instead of Henry. As long as Henry is on this team, Agudelo was never going to be a regular starter, and Agudelo would not accept being a substitute. Agudelo could have stuck around until Henry's contract ends and retires, after that I'm sure he would be playing 90 minutes every game for us, but he did not want to wait that long.

9. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's no chance that will happen. He'll atleast need another season or two before he has a chance of going to Europe. GK is hard position to evaluate. Look at player like Frei(TFC) for example, he was one of the premier goalies in the MLS then he sort of fell off the radar thanks to injuries and a poor backline

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Of course there's a chance - especially if the kid can get an Irish passport.

11. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    So what, but a bunch of them will remind on the MLS and you have to let them play first kind game to develop as first class players, on the contrary if you don't play them, they only will be reserve for life and that is my point... Or you will tell me that Backe is a better coach than Klinsmann, he see Agudelo play the few games Backe give him and call him to represent USA as player in the national team, how about that...

12. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. We've won 5 in a row, are first in the east, in position to be first in the league, and people act as if selling one player is dooming us. Look, you can't have it both ways. You can't win a title now by building a team of players with potential needing time to develop. Me, I'm sick to death of watching 16 years of potential. I want to see a freakin' cup or shield.

In relation to this thread title, if you are going to blame Backe for losing, you are going to have to blame him for winning as well. People act like the team is winning despite the coach and manager, but they put the team together. Right now, the players are saying the attitude of the team in whole is amazing, helping drive this winning streak. So, I'm giving the Viking staff full credit right now. Just like I'll hold them accountable if they blow it. But 25 points in May is something I haven't seen in this team for a very long time, and nobody can whine loud enough to make me think it's a bad thing... :rolleyes:

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Who are these people that are acting like the trade is dooming us? There are lots of legitimate reasons to have problems with Hans, but he does deserve some credit for this streak.

And Agudelo could have come off the bench to win the Cup - it's not like this was a totally unplayable prospect we are talking about. Young attacking players are important in soccer at every level.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He deserves as much credit for this streak as he deserves blame for whatever failings we've had in the past couple years.

Me personally? I think coaches get way too much credit and blame.

That's true. We won't know if this trade was a home run or not until:

1. We sign our new #3 striker and see how he plays.
    2. We give the Agudelo a year or two of MLS play and/or international transfer.

If we get another striker and he's just as productive off the bench, and Agudelo goes to Europe next year (or is mediocre at Chivas...or both) then this is a homerun.

If our new signing stinks and Agudelo lights up the league and stays in MLS for 3-4 years this trade is probably a bust.

dark knight repped this.
  15. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backe lead us to 1st in the East his 1st season here. That's only happened one other time (2000)

We are on a 5 game winning streak despite injuries to KEY players. The last time that happened was 2003.

We've made the playoffs 2 seasons in a row, last year losing to the eventual champions.

We are currently 1 point behind RSL for the shield. We have a strong starting 11 and players on our bench that can win games.

We have a healthy balance of allocation money to add maybe 2-3 key pieces this summer.

Things are pretty good and there is no way in hell that Backe is anywhere near any sort of "hot seat".

Having said that...they still need to win SOMETHING this year.

16. theENFORCER

theENFORCER Member

Apr 10, 2010
    NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be mad winning a supporters shield.. W

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take anything...except an Emirates Cup.

18. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to give props to the team and maybe Backe after this weekend's win. Winning the game after being down one man for most of the 2nd half is impressive for this team or any team. The question is are the Red Bulls winning because of Backe's tactics or despite them?

It was sickening to hear Soler's bull at halftime--did he expect us to swallow that story?

19. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't buy this at all. This is the same stuff people said about Bob Bradley and the national team. Then JK came in to town with the circus and everyone said: "Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't have piled on that Bradley guy after all..."

What bull? I'm sure that's not the entire story, but I absolutely believe Juan asked to be moved. Klinsmann told him he needed to be a starter. National Team coach say...player do.

20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not doubting that at all--i do believe he spoke with Soler and Backe saying more time or please just let me go somewhere else---but Soler tried to paint it as if the club was trying to do this out of the goodness of its heart.:rolleyes: He should have said something realistic that all the fans could have respected (even if they didnt agree with it) such as he was not fitting in with the team's plans or he only had 1 more year left and they werent yet sure of his talent and so the team decided to get the best offer they could for him. Trying to pass off the trade as an act of altruism was a see through ploy at public relations.

21. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No GM would ever say that. They did like him as their #3. In that regard he did fit in their plans.

No one would say they doubt a player's talent unless that player wore out their welcome. I mean...REALLY wore it out.

22. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the fact that they wanted to meet Agudelo's needs also factored into the trade so I don't think he said anything that was false. I also agree with koko in that he fit in the teams plans in a different way than Agudelo envisioned. What I saw was Soler was just trying to be professional about the situation and do what all GM's do which is to try to spin the trade as a positive. I saw nothing disingenuous in his comments at all.

23. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the primary reasons RBNY is on a good run is Dax McCarty's play as a defensive midfielder. That was not a tactical decision made by Backe, but one that was forced on him by injuries. You could say the same about getting Solli off the field: he was a weakness on defense (too much ball watching, and was not safe with the ball) and too predictable on offense (overlap, and cross). Arguably Barklage and Lade would have never seen the field without injuries.

24. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just described how every player in the world gets their shot. It's no different under any other manager.

It happened with Backe and it will happen with every coach after him.

25. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not exactly true. Some coaches recognize talent and make changes proactively rather than wait for their hands to be forced. That is the difference between being reactive and proactive.