The Official 2012 Fire Backe Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Mar 18, 2012.

1. MetroBull1996

MetroBull1996 New Member

May 22, 2010
    up in the woods
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fabio Capello is avail. lets get him!

2. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caleb Porter is still a young guy...I don't think he would be able to handle our locker room. It would be a similar situation to AVB at Chelsea.

4. MetroBull1996

MetroBull1996 New Member

May 22, 2010
    up in the woods
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't need to replace the Coach.
    Not after the 4-1 trashing we just did to Colorado this afternoon.

What this team does need is a CAM/Midfield creator.[LINEUP-4-4-2][/LINEUP-4-4-2]

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, this win as awesome as it was, does not really change things for Backe. This is still a team that has not won any meaningful trophies in all its years of existence. Last year Backe deliberately tanked the US Open Cup (in fact he didn't even bother to show up!!) so that the team would be "fresh" to compete in that bogus european tourney in their yellow trunks. In order for fan perceptions of Backe to change he's going to have to prove that he can build a consistently winning team over the length of the season. Remember also that last year it was discovered that this coach didn't even bother to go over film of the opponents with the team during the week leading up to the match. And if they don't win some major hardware this year i think he may get into trouble with Red Bull corporate. As a fan, I can say that in order for this season to be considered a success by me this team will have to win one of the following: MLS Cup, Supporter's Shield, or US Open Cup. This team has too much talent and too much money has been spent to accept anything less.

So yeah--great win and hopefully the team will build on it, but Backe still has a lot to prove.

6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Backe and Soler have publicly said that they need to win something this year. So they aren't exactly hiding behind any sort of coach speak.

They were very clear in the off season of what mistakes they had made, how they were going to try and improve them, and what they needed to do moving forward. I really like that. HOWEVER, what matters is results. They know that. And if they can't produce them, they know they'll be in trouble.

Still way too early in the season to put meaning into any one game. Having watched 3 games though I think it's safe to say that our bench guys aren't going to light it up against good sides and we are still very much in danger of the "terrible mistake" in any game we play.

I think the longer the defense has together the better those gafs will get.

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This more than anything is why I wanted him to stay on and complete this season. I feel like we can't keep hot seating EVERY guy who comes in here. Things will never EVER get better if we keep doing that.

He might not even be able to handle a U23 locker room. :rolleyes:

8. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Agree 100%.

9. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it does look like he will be available shorty.

10. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    To continue with saga of mediocre that we have for 17 years, yes ....bring Coleb as a coach of the RBNY and I will not be surprised if they do, giving the story of the owners of this my team....

Bring Coleb, that he has giving so big satisfaction as coach of the Olympic team, like no body else.....

11. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm surprised you're against Porter metz considering he's all about developing young talent.

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I'm a unconditional man with the young talent, period.....if the RBNY will sign Coleb to dev young talents I will say OK, but as a Coach he has demonstrated that he isn't cut for that.....

13. Backe to the top

Mar 8, 2010
    Nottingham
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Backe is proven as a coach in Europe there is no two ways about that. His record is excellent. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether he can make his coaching style work in the MLS. It would seem he has accepted that the European style game doesn't work so this season will be interesting.

I wonder if he can adapt and overcome? In my opinion it will all depend on whether the defence clicks and if the star players can remain injury free.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I've seen more of booting the ball out of trouble as well as playing the long ball as a tactic to unsettle defenses. Those are MLS hallmarks that he didn't use last year...so we'll see.

15. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, we're stuck this year. Either we gamble on Backe, in which case the bet may pay off (Backe is NOT a bad coach, remember 2010?), or we fire him and write this season off completely.

No, we can not fire a coach this year and win. We will have another bad year.

So, even though I've been tempted to join the march with torches and pitchforks, I'm on the keep Backe wagon for now. If he can bring his 2010 success back to us, we might just surprise the rest of the league.

BTW - I do like the changes made this year, so that is part of the equation for me.

PSS - And he's now using subs appropriately. Whodahthunkit last year?

16. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was all Richie and Des...

17. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? I'm all for criticizing Backe but you also have to give him credit for when things go right, if you blame him for when things go wrong.

So a GK coach had more to do with a good season than the head coach?

18. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I agree that this year is to late for any change in coaching dpt. like was when they waive Richie too, and will make more damages than good, like did when they fire Richie.... But about subs he hasn't change a bit, sub Ballouchy for Lindpere wasn't his idea or taste.... Lindpere was sub because he get hurt,. but having Lade on the bench that by the way is superior than Ballouchy in all aspect of the game and that it is a original Left Midfielder, was and is a mean act suitable only to Backe....

19. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jury is still out on Backe as far as I'm concerned--hes not out of the danger zone and definitely cannot afford to get complacent. I sincerely hope that if Soler wants to get a forward before the close of the spring window that he at least does his homework and does not end up making another disastrous trade like the DeRosario debacle last year. It would be much better to wait than to wind up making a mistake.

21. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What the fuc*k we need a forward for, we need a CAN you know.... To feed our strikers with some strike ba;;s////

22. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What the fuc*k we need a forward for, we need a CAm you know.... To feed our strikers with some strike balls,....

23. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    What the fuc*k we need a forward for, we need it is a CAM[/b] you know.... To feed our strikers with some strike balls,....

24. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Yeah, that's what we needed to see posted three times in a row.:rolleyes: