Alert: The NT Players Performance and Ratings Thread 2012/2013

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Aug 26, 2012.

1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I did...

An objective assessment of his performance needs to be mentioned.

Especially in his case. If there is any player whose record does NOT reflect how he has played for a given team, it's Podolski.

I also said before his transfer that he would settle and do relatively well in the league because it's largely suited to his game.

2. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Poldi has scored one goal. I think it's far too early to declare his PL career a success or failure.

odd1234 repped this.
  3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    He was hardly dreadful, more like ineffectual for long periods but did what many strikers struggle with - scoring. He helped create his own first goal and his combination with Carzola was great. He does very well in this system because its centered around quick passing and Podolski loves that.

He's made for the EPL, very strong and fast and inside the box one of the best finishers too.

CanStriker repped this.
  5. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Suited to his game? Can you ever hand Podolski some credit at least? Suited to his game...thats ludicrous. The EPL if a very tough league, if he does well and scores 15+ goals its because he's a superb forward, period.

6. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He'll make a good squad player if we need something direct going forward.

7. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Woah Klose scored a brace against palermo, NICE!!

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stop it.

I just gave him credit. He's good at playing direct in a system that isn't overly intricate and the Premiership is exactly the league he can thrive because it's not as technical as the Bundesliga and it suits players who are fit, physically imposing, quick, and play counter attacking football. That's not speculation or taking credit away, it's a fact.

Let's also learn the difference between quality and adjustability. Podolski has never been a 'superb forward' and while we don't know what will happen to him, it's not a stretch to account for what suits him and what doesn't, and thus to assess his game in any given environment.

9. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thats condescension.

More condescension. Not sure what you mean by not as technical, it's definitely a much tougher league to play in.

i disagree, Podolski just hasn't been like say RVP or Falcoa, but he's still someone who can deliver at the very highest level. He was certainly the top when he was say 18-20, but hasn't developed as he should, thats all.

He still has time to mould his game and become a more convincing forward, I hope everything goes well for him and expect that he'll do very well.

10. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Bastian Oczipka looks top class going forward in the first two games. He is a 23 year old left back who is starting to hit his prime. Maybe Loew should give him a try.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    By technical, I meant technique. That should clear things up.

What? He couldn't have been top in his developmental years. That's not realistic. He was simply a product of hype in a time when there was a shortage of talent.

You will also not find many outside Germany who will believe him to be a great striker/forward. In the last two years he really has shown his value as a player. That's not to say he can't perform. He can put up numbers but I think we need to indefinitely draw the line when we discuss him going forward. To keep placing higher attributes on him is making the same mistakes Loew has in starting him over and over when there was no need to. Again, not to say he can't become a productive player for Arsenal. I'm sure he can for reasons stated above but let's be very clear here. A superb striker, he is not. He never has been and chances are he won't become one because nothing really ever hinted at it. No player simply transforms into one overnight. In other words I would be very surprised if he ever has a 20/25+ goals season because that's what the criteria is for a 'superb striker'.

me too. I wish him the best and hopefully his time in the premiership will teach him professionalism and humility among other things.

12. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    As in, one of the best young talents not just in germany, but the world. He scored 3 goals at a world cup, not bad for a 21 year old, at all.

You're right, 25 strikes is a huge number for anyone coming into the EPL, Torres did it and he is still considered a legend because of it. I was thinking he'd score something like 15 goals, which is entirely possible. We'll see how everything goes, maybe in a couple of seasons he could be scoring some 25 or so goals.

13. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    2 consecutive weeks in the Bundesliga team of the week.

Schmelzer was/is pretty good at going foward too, thats why he intrigued us. I think Loew wants a more defensively minded fullback.

14. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I had huge hopes for Schmelzer. I always knew he was no Lahm or Sergio Ramos, but someone who would develop to a very high level. I was amazed that even after his second season (and a solid one nonetheless) he was so horrible for the national team. Even against Switzerland, he was lacking in every way.

Against Argentina there was a huge improvement from both sides, even though we lost this was a good game for him. We'll see if he has anything else to offer.

15. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Schmelzer is pretty good at going forward and powerfully firing the ball into the crowd, while 3 of his team mates are perfectly positioned in the box.

16. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    U seem to have forgotten he was/is a top 3 LB in the league and supported by the Kicker rating

I still remember he had a breakout season where every of us wanted him to be called up by Loew

17. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes but we now know that he fits in a very stable system. Grosskreutz is like Kuyt, he is always working hard and pretty much acts as auxiliary left back sometimes. With Podolski/Schurrle/whoever Schmelzer doesn't get that same protection. He's still 24, and although he's no alves, he is still developing a lot of his game and I'm looking forward to see him again despite his history with the NT.

18. Dr Faust

Dr Faust Member+

Jul 12, 2010
    Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, I had completely forgotten about that and will therefore change my mind entirely at this instant: Because he seemed like a decent prospect a couple of years ago and because there's still a shortage of German LBs, I now think that Schmelzer's crosses are absolutely wonderful. I'm also convinced that Marin will win the Ballon d'Or this year due to his strong physical attributes and that Thomas Broich is going to be Germany's strongest player since Lothar.

But seriously, Schmelzer is usually frustrating to watch. He might be the best LB in Germany after Lahm, but that says more about the sad state of German fullbacks than it does about this player's abilities. He can be solid, even good once in a while, but his crosses are aweful most of the time, his decision making is among the worst you'll see at this level (9 times out of 10, he'll mindlessly shoots when there's 2 or 3 players available or he attempts a miserable cross when nobody's there) and he tends to be a defensive liability when he's on his own and not constantly supported by at least two hard-working team mates.

If he wants to positively contribute to and even strengthen the NT with his presence, he still has ALOT of improving to do. Right now, I'd take the Boateng/Bender/Höwedes solution over Schmelzer. At least they offer decent defensive stability and - unlike Schmelzer - aren't the weak spots even for their club teams (though some might argue Boateng to be just that).

Cris 09 repped this.
  19. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Santacruz scored 20 in his first EPL season.. Legend?

20. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Boateng is not a weak point for bayern, thats ludicrous.

21. The Bavarian Oak

Apr 27, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Let's wait and see how he does over the course of a season and against Dortmund and Bayern.

Sure he played well as a fullback against a Leverkusen side playing narrow with only 3 attackers.

He got both his assists against a 9 man Hoffenheim with no RB.

He needs to be tested defensively by quality wide attackers before he convinces me he is ready for a NT call up.

22. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Didn't jantschke have a good season last year? Didn't catch all his games but he marshalled ribery like it was no ones business.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes he had a tremendous season so if Jantschke isn't getting called up Oczipka certainly won't.

24. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am not watching him this season, will be curious to see how he does.

25. The Bavarian Oak

Apr 27, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Unfortunately he got moved into midfield at the end of last season. I'm glad to see him back at RB this year where he showed the most potential in 2011-12 IMO.

He has the most important attribute for an international level RB - he's defensively solid. If he can become a bit better going forward I think it would be foolish not to call him up.