The NT Players Performance and Ratings Thread 2011/2012

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Castro had a bad day.. Needed Schürrle's help the whole game and yet both goals were initiated from his side.

2. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought Castro had a handful of decent moments, where he has able to protect his side, but he did for sure have trouble with Chelsea's pace and physicality.

3. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He put up a very energetic performance, and covered the entire length of the pitch when necessary. He was involved in most of Leverkusen's major attempts at goal, too.

Overall, I thought Leverkusen performed really well and were unlucky not to at least score one goal. They could have easily tied this game, and I thought, barring the final moments of the game, they dominated Chelsea in the second half.

4. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Hummels is absolutely sensational. He is the perfect defender for Barcelona. Him and Pique together would be fantastic. Barca need a defender because Puyol and Abidal are getting old.
    Next summer, Manchester City will need a top CB to play alongside Kompany(and to replace the poor Lescott and the ageing Kolo Toure).
    He will go to one of those two teams next summer I am sure. It will be great for the national team as well.

5. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Anyone know why Klose wasn't even part of the Europa League team for Lazio tonight? At least that's what it seems like on the Goal's lineup list.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He may not have made the cut for UEFA's list. Or was he still with Bayern during the CLQM? That would have made him cup-tied.

7. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Had a slight injury.

8. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Will Dortmund agree to let him go? That's the question. If he goes to Barcelona, obviously this does a great deal of good for the NT, he'll really be exposed to the best and will up his game considerably.

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Podolski with a great performance. Who said he has no combination game and is technically average? Schürrle therefor with a abysmal match an d a well deserved red.

10. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He was incredible. What a statement.

11. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought Schürrle did quite well and the red was a tad harsh. Podolski did very well but Leverkusen were piss poor, not taking credit away from Podolski of course. Would love to see these kinds of performances on a consistent basis.

Merte meanwhile not doing himself any favors, also a bit of a victim of circumstance at Arsenal. That's not a team that will make a defender look flattering.

12. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Which of his goals/assists needed more than average technique?
    He showed good vision in his assist and his speed/goal scoring qualities but that's nothing new.
    Schürrle also didn't have an "abysmal match", he was the only Leverkusen player that had a positive influence on the game while Ballack, Renato Augusto, Rofles etc. made pretty much nothing. The red card in the end was of course stupid.
    Overall Podolski showed his qualities as STRIKER and that's the point, such a game is useless for the NT.
    It was the typical Podolski in a (support) striker role in a game that was made for him (counter attacks against an exposed defence).
    As L(O)M in the NT that's not the way he can play and why people don't want to see him there.
    We can discuss about Podolski as striker but he isn't the right player for Germany as LM.
    Using his performances of games like today is as usefull as using Großkreutz's performance against Hamburg.

13. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I thought both Schuerrle and Podolski looked great. Though Podolski showed a ton of determination for the first goal, and exceptional finish for the second. It's pretty much between him and Schuerrle for the LM position.

14. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Podolski just showed Shuerrle how it's done.

Lukas is still the better player, by a considerable margin.

15. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Let's not forget which of these two teams are bottom feeders, and which play in the CL.

16. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I thought he had a decent game, but is too slow. Even his reaction time is slow.

17. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

poldi fans are going to ignore you no matter....

18. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure Schürrle has learned a valuable lessen from Podolski for the next time that Löw asks him to play as striker. :eek:
    Having said this I should mention that I also don't want Schürrle as LM for the NT and that's because I see some of the same issues I have with Podolski.
    I want a real midfielder there and that's why I don't care about Podolski or Schürrle because we have Götze and he is the perfect player for the LM position.

19. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Schürrle didn't have a good match, he always kept the ball for too long and didn't know what to do with it.

Of course a lot of it has to do with Bayer's system and slow build-up play.

20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leinad, what are you talking? Podolski didn't play a classical striker role and often came from the left side and from deep.

He initiated attacks and combinations, assisted goals and delivered great finish. I really don't know where you've seen average technic. He played a straight ball with nice first touch and treated the ball very tight.

I also never made a "point" in my posting I just mentioned his great performance, which is the topic of this thread.

squid: maybe you should first watch the game before comenting on players.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Did I say i didn't watch the game?

22. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Then you must be blind to brand users giving Poldi credit as fanboys.

23. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I see your point. But it is all up to Loew. And what Loew prefers are goal scoring wingers...ie strikers or striker-like AMs who play on the wings. Podolski fits this description quite well.

24. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And strikers aren't allowed to do that? Podolski is of course a free roaming striker and that's why I put the "support" in brackets before striker but it doesn't change the fact that he is without question the 2nd striker in a two man striker system.

And all this is possible with average technique and the same is true for Gomez. For me that isn't even a problem as long as he isn't used in midfield but that's my point, his technique is not good enough for such a position or better said not to the standards we have nowdays.

You didn't just mention his performance, you made a reference to his technique/combination play and then also came with the statement regarding Schürrle and thus the reaction.
    I don't have an issue with Podolski as long as he is kept far away from the LM spot and he would be a viable option upfront but his performance doesn't change the problems with him as LM.
    His combination play and technique is in most cases good enough when he is in or around the box but there are simply other requirements to a midfielder.

25. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So he is a free roaming "striker" who builds up play, initiating attacks and combinations. This is the same he could do as midfielder for the NT, isn't it? Therefor in the NT the attacking mids are also free to move I really don't see this point?!

You are way too harsh with this whole technical thing and _imo_ lost it a bit here. But this is a point of view. It wasn't average and it was better than Gomez'.

I also mentioned both because they both played in the same match and fight for the same spot. But I did not made a point. If you check my postings how the NT should start, you'll find Schürrle ahead of Podolski. It's just that Podolski is unfairly treated by many here even when he has great performances (e.g. "could not play fast combinations, can't deliver assists, he's just a big penis running at the defense with a left strike") whereas others despite beeing rather poor like Schürrle today are overlooked when it comes to player rating or even the same harsh criteria others have to suffer.

And Schürrle had a good match then we watched a different game.. he was slow and harmless. Yes he was one of the better Leverkusen players but that doesn't mean he had a good or even decent performance. He was poor today and that has to be mentioned. And he knows it himself as he has shown in injury time.