The next ten years - MLS 3.0

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by deejay, Oct 30, 2012.

1. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    No, I stand by what I said. I do apologize if I caused offense.

"I don't think that would work," would be a truly bad response.

Because they have it. And it does work. Its just that most people care more about the playoff winner than the regular season winner.

2. StyleAndRhythm

Nov 27, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    That's what I'm saying. Make it a different tournament. So you have your season, and they are the mls league champion. Then the top 8 or however many teams qualify for the mls cup. Two separate events

3. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been done before. The Lewis Cup tournament.

4. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You gotta give it time. Remember that the CCL has only been around since 2008. It's going to take time for clubs and fans (not just in the US, but everywhere) to get excited about it.

Although, I do think flipping the schedule might help the process. The tournament might attract more attention if it starts alongside our regular season. Plus, since most leagues in Central America play a split season, I don't think the adjustment would be earth shattering.

The final would have to take place in late December, though. We might actually have a chance at winning it if the last match is in the snow!:laugh:

5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, WFC attendance is decent due to the Euro teams. How are its ratings, tho? The ratings will never approach UCL ratings.

As far as Concachampions, I don't think WFC ratings surpass it. They're probably similar in the group stage, and CCL KO definitely are higher.

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first two are intertwined and being worked on.

The third ? Who exactly are you banking on to make this happen ? There are only two major sores when it comes to the stadium issue ... The three that aren't in a "sss" are fine, one of them much more than fine, and another is under construction.

No ? I respectfully disagree.

I'd love to see the balance sheets before 2007, and after.

7. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    What I think you are getting at is making the Supporters Shield winner the champion and taking the title of champion away from the cup winner.

If I am right, then I really do think that:
    1. Very, very, very few people will care about the difference between being champion and cup winner and being just the cup winner.
    2. People will still care more about winning the cup then winning the shield.
    Am I missing something?

Jasonma repped this.
  8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don't ever see fans getting excited about facing the best teams from Trinidad and Tobago or even Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Costa Rica. the CONCACAF champions league will be probably be as prestigious as the Gold Cup. That's its ceiling. Now, I could see a CL of a combined North America/South American leagues working though.

Brazil: 5
    Argentina: 5
    Mexico: 4-5
    Chile: 4-5
    USA/Canada: 4-5
    Colombia: 4-5
    Uruguay: 4-5
    Paraguay: 4-5
    Ecuador: 4-5
    Peru: 4-5
    Bolivia: 4-5
    Venezuela: 4-5
    Caribbean: 4
    Central America: 4
    Defending Champion: 1
    Copa Sudamerica Champion: 1
    Wildcard: 4

PHASES:
    Qualifiers:
    *Caribbean Teams and Central American teams face off to find the top four teams

First Stage/Wild Card
    *2 groups of 5 teams from all the leagues excluding Brazil, Argentina, Central American, and Caribbean.
    *top 2 advance

Second Stage:
    *8 groups of 4 teams, 32 teams
    *Top 2 advance

Knock-Out Rounds:
    *16 teams