The new improved NRR thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 3, 2012.

1. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

id really like to but as big of a yank fan as i am.. i dont think i could do it... so here goes another option...

"All we see is another Robert GreenAnother robert green another robert green all we see is another robert green another robert green another robert green ole ole ole ole colorado here we...and so on

and make a really big bronx cheer every time he makes a save and holds onto it

however rep is always an approved modicum of gratitude

2. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will heckle Sean but not for his performance for the US team. I personally can't get behind heckling players for their National team performance unless they are total jerks. Sean is actually a decent keeper who has a future with the US. I'll give him a hard time for what he does against the Rapids but taunting his mistakes in the US game is over the line for US fans. Just
    my opinion.

3. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, but you have to admit that if the Fire were playing Toronto instead of us this week and their fans started doing the olympic anthem you would say something like "oooh that's cold" while grinning because you realize just how perfect of a taunt it is given the timing.

I will give credit where credit is due for a hilarious idea, but not everyone can put those ideas into practice.

4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked Adu over these 3 games. Will be interesting how he fits in on Phillies D- first style of play.

5. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    USA Pro Cycling Route

I remember there being some people excited for the bike race in here. What do you think of the course for this year?

"Stage 6 From Golden to Boulder.

"My personal prediction is this is the biggest crowd of any of the seven days, in fact, I think it will be one of the biggest crowds in the history of our sport and our country," says Hunter. "

pretty big statement right there

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very excited. And that statement isn't that bold. The only real competition is the AMGEN Tour of California and it doesn't run a full day route as close to a population center as the Golden-Boulder route will be. They start or finish in a major population center, but its rare that the whole day's stage is this close to a major metro area (mainly because most major metro areas are in flat land, which isn't all that challenging for a race).

I'm going to be in either Golden or Boulder that day, and downtown for the Stage 7 time trial. Not sure I'm going to make it up into the mountains for the stages like I did last year.

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    WaPo article on Joe Willis, ex-DenverU keeper and 50th round selection in 2011 draft, starting for DCU in Hamid's stead and doing well, apparently.

If he really is starting quality, the Rapids should not (generally) miss on these guys in their own backyard. I suppose moving forward, with an increased emphasis on the academies, this will have less of a chance of happening.

8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, Willis was highly rated and there was speculation that Rapids would draft him. But we missed out for some reason, Ceus does seem capable to me as our back-up. No clue why Joyce is holding a roster space.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly is playing Schalke 04 this summer.

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Kick yourself for missing Phish last summer? Have no fear! They're back.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we're going to see this week how biased the DC really is. While I never thought Mullan's 10 games was out of line last year, I thought it was unfair due to the suspensions the DC had handed down prior to it, and the suspensions they've handed down since then.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy6rCYtzJSY"]Patada de Rafael Marquez a Shea Salinas - YouTube[/ame]

Unless the DC decides that's unintentional (and that's a joke IMO) I don't see how they could give Marquez significantly less than Mullan's 10 or Clark's 9 (for his kick on Ruiz). Salinas broke his collarbone on the play, though probably more from the tackle than the kick. If they come back with anything less than 6 or so we know that there's bias towards NY and their DP's and/or they hammered Mullan not only because of what he did (which was deserved for what he did) but because they knew they could get away with it since it was a Rapids player tackling a Sounder.

12. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure. The tackle and landing broke the collar bone not the kick. The kick appeared intentional but wasn't that dissimilar to what mullan attempted to do in the rsl game. If you take away the injury the play wasn't anywhere near as horrible as Mullans. In my opinion the leathers tackle was much much worse. I personally don't see this as a test case for the dc. The leathers tackle showed their is no consistency. I don't see rafa getting too much

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    The tackle on Morales was bad, too--no chance to get the ball, just an intentional whack to the ankle of a player in range.

Was Marquez this dirty at Barcelona?

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the tackle wasn't a "soccer play" either. So you add in the tackle, the kick, the injury, and Marquez's history (all things the Dc has said they're reviewing in the past year) and I don't see how this isn't at least Sala level (6 games).

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mullan - 10 game suspension for a horrible tackle while making a soccer play that broke Zakuani's leg
    Clark - 9 games for kicking Ruiz who was on his hands and knees
    Sala - 6 games for sucker punching Kirovski and Freeman
    Marquez - 3 games (per Ives) for an American football tackle of Salinas that broke his collarbone in 4 places and then kicked him in the same collarbone on the way down

Yeah, the fact that he's a DP that plays for NY had nothing to do with his suspension I'm sure. :rolleyes: What an f-ing joke.

16. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So MLS is more "JUST" if a DP is involved or team has larger fan base.

So if was reversed and Salinas took out Marquez same way he would be looking at 15 games?

We need to follow the european model for this crap since its a joke anyways. If onfield Judges had play within view and made no call, then we will not review it for further punishment...

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I like the way KC plays. I hope that is what OP is trying for.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think I need to watch them more since they're playing so well. But from what I've seen so far, I very much hope that's not what OP is trying for. They deserve the thug life rep that the Rapids were given unfairly.

Though as with RSL ("Barca of MLS"/MLS4RSL), I (sort of) admire their ability to snow MLS fans: Would the USMNT have a chance against Sporting?

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tangent from a tangent here, but I've noticed recently how much more grounded (for the most part) in reality the Rapids forum is than a number of others. Particularly Seattle and FSL, but in general there seems to be a much better understanding of what the Rapids are and aren't in this forum than a lot of team's have in their forum.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I guess the Rapids bandwagon never got going, so the facebook crowd didn't have a chance to roll in here in greater numbers?

21. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I thought this too.

Promoting a falsehood seems to be working at the gate though. I've quietly thought to myself that this fact could be fuel for our recent changes. On Facebook FSL has about six fans that seem to be dedicating their lives to continuing the falsehood that is the perception of their style. Its just a shame that so few people actually appreciate how silly they look when the do it. I'd like to take them on but I have too little time on my hands and I could care less if some FO dude's wife wants to play shill.

Kreis no fan of Sporting KC's style, but admits it's effective
    This article, Jason Cries, and the subsequent comments, feel part of this grand “we play a beautiful game” lie. At any rate its solid entertainment if you like to watch FSL fans fall over themselves.

22. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    To be fair to RSL, I think they do play some good soccer. Their midfield can pass and they've got a good forward combo in a runner and a physical hold up guy. (Hmm...I remember when we had that, too.) I think it's pragmatic to lay heavy hits on the opponent from time to time, esp. if you lay down the beautiful game smokescreen to help with perception. MLS allows the rough play, especially in the playoffs (as we saw), so you're almost foolish if you don't take advantage of it.

I don't see why people just don't call it as it is, no need to embellish by pretending Olave, Johnson, et al don't occasionally rough people up, or that the team doesn't benefit from aerials to physical players.

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I found this article about SporKS's Collin to be interesting:

And this quote from Vermes:

Kind of makes me wonder what the locker room game plan talk is like.

24. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    BREAKING: Gregg Williams signs on as assistant coach for Sporting KC /trolling.

25. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If I had decent photoshop skills, I would edit the picture of Eric Cartman licking the tears off of Scott Tenorman's face, putting a San Jose jersey on Cartman and a RSL jersey on Tenorman.

That's all.