The new improved NRR thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica is on the verge of not qualifying for the Gold Cup after a 2-1 loss to French Guyana on Saturday and a 0-0 draw against Martinique yesterday in the Caribbean Cup. They have to beat Cuba by 2 tomorrow to qualify for the Caribbean Cup semis and the Gold Cup (all 4 Caribbean Cup semifinalists qualify for the Gold Cup). They can also qualify with a 1 goal win if Martinique beats French Guyana.

Omar came on as a sub in the French Guyana game and immediately added to the attack, but sent all 3 of his shots over the bar. He did not play in the Martinique game.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SportingKC lands Feilhaber in trade, details to follow.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2012/12/11/sporting-kansas-city-deal-world-cup-vet-feilhaber

"Sporting Kansas City made perhaps the biggest move of the MLS offseason so far on Tuesday, landing World Cup veteran midfielder Benny Feilhaber from the struggling New England Revolution in exchange for allocation money, Sporting KC’s natural first-round pick in the 2014 MLS SuperDraft and natural second-round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft."

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better them than us...

COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely, but wish Rapids would do something before 2012 ends to make team better.

22SteveD repped this.
  5. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok CrazyJohn, you need to share your Cummings info here that I see all over Twitter world. Don't want to steal your thunder, just force you to post a tidbit.:sneaky:

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the TransferWatch talk about a rumor of a Cummings-for-striker trade with an Eastern team? Even they said it was a bit light to really be reported.

7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true Jason, but this is BS and I want to disect even rumors given our apparent asleep at the wheel organization.

Just posted by Ives:

Ives Galarcep@SoccerByIves
    Who is ready for another big MLS trade? One is on the way.

My Comment- No, I do not expect this to involve the Rapids

And another, again don't expect Rapids to be part of.

Robert Jonas@robertjonas
    Lots of moves around #MLS today: I'm hearing that #SJEarthquakes may be joining the party as well. #staytuned

8. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't really say our organization is asleep at the wheel as I haven't seen any major internal moves that have made me say "Damn, why didn't we get involved in that?".

10. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan Johnson would have been a good pick-up for the Rapids. I don't think Rapids fans should be jealous of Portland. I mean, Gavin Wilkinson is still their GM. The same guy who was the architect of last year's Portland team, who were one of the worst MLS teams I've ever seen. All the moves Portland is making reek of desperation. The Rapids should be desperate for help, but the situation is not as bad as Portland. The Rapids need a handful well thought out acquisitions (center back, full back, center forward, winger), while the Timbers need a total overhaul.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryan Johnson wouldn't have been a bad move, but not at the cost of a top 6 draft pick. And we don't need Kocic.

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really?

IN
    Michael Harrington D (Trade - SKC)
    Will Johnson M (Trade - RSL)​

OUT​
    Freddie Braun M (Released)
    Ian Hogg D (Released)
    Charles Renken M (Released)
    Steve Purdy D (Released)
    Lovel Palmer D/M (Released)
    Koskue Kimura D (Trade - RBNY)
    Eric Brunner D (Trade - HOU)
    Steven Smith D (Released)

Other Considerations
    Allocation money from RBNY (in K Kimura trade)
    HG rights to B Gallego from RBNY (in K Kimura trade)
    2103 2nd Rd SuperDraft pick to RBNY (in K Kimura trade)
    Allocation money to SKC (in M Harrington trade)
    Allocation money from HOU (in E Brunner trade)
    Allocation money to RSL (in W Johnson trade)​

What's desperate about those moves? And, the addition of Johnson and Kocic? Both Johnson's are an upgrade for their team (really we're the ones playing at The Dick - this is unfair).

I don't see a swing for the fences, but nothing that a Portland fan should be shocked by either.

13. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All those guys on the 'out' list are the reason I say Portland is desperate. Wilkinson thought all those guys were good enough when he brought them in over the past 2 seasons, but now they are not?

Wilkinson makes a trade for Kosuke, who has his limitations, but he also started on an MLS Cup winning side, and then trades him for the HG rights to a college player. I'm sure Gallego has potential, but so did Freddu Adu, Danny Sztela (sp?), etc. Additionally, there is no guarantee that he will ever play a game with Portland.

As Jason pointed out, Johnson is good, but it is questionable as to whether he is worth a high draft pick. Overpaying for players suggests desperation.

I'd like to see the Rapid's pick up some new players too, but the off season is still young. There is no point mortgaging the future to acquire a solid, but not spectacular player.

14. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to have players other teams want to get in this game, not sure the rapids have more then 7 players that others would be interested in due to age and or performance.

About draft pick, the talking heads on soccer are saying this will be a very weak draft and outside the top 2 rated guys (both CB's), that there are no sure things. I will believe that after combine reports are out.

15. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they traded a guy they didn't want and was unsigned for a top rated CB (Gallego), they own up to mistakes instead of keeping them on roster like we do (Palguta was my poster child).

There owner cares about the team, the game and willing to spend to make team better. Plus if I re-call correctly he was ejected by ref from first game they played at DSG.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And despite the caring owner they're 19-30-19 (W-L-T) with 76 points in 2 seasons, 10 points less than the Rapids, and have lost 4 out of 5 games to Colorado being outscored 10-2.

A caring owner is great. An owner that hires competent people and lets them to their thing is better. We're closer to the second than Portland (which isn't saying much I admit).

DavidJames repped this.
  17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure best way to compare a teams first 2 years in MLS to a team that has been around for some time was done here.

18. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They didn't make it!

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, a 1-0 loss to Cuba did them in. Omar was subbed in in the second half.

French Guiana missed the chance to be the first of the 3 South American members of CONCACAF to qualify for the Gold Cup by losing 3-1 to Martinique. Cuba, Haiti, and Trinidad & Tobago join Martinique in the semis and the Gold Cup.

20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors were out there for a while, that Jamaica would tank to concentrate on Hex. Didn't see any of games so I have no comment but this reasoning does make sense.

21. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soaker888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  22. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Clever!

23. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Certainly hope these accusations by Tigre are over the top:
    An Argentine football club has accused Brazilian security officials of beating and pulling guns on its players during the half-time interval of a cup final.
    Tigre's players refused to play the second half of the second leg of the Copa Sudamericana final. The move left Sao Paulo to be declared winners of the tournament at their home ground.
    From the Copa Sudamericana final (Sao Paolo vs. Tigre) Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20710615

24. Soaker888

Soaker888 Member+

Feb 21, 2012
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guessed this might be the thread to add a little Stan Kroenke drama regarding Arsenal. Former share holder claims he lacks passion, as SK (major stake holder) leads the team in a dive in EPL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20721492
    -------------------------------
    And that possible Portland aquisition of Mixxerud is damn interesting. They may not be so bottom feeding in 2013, but we'll see.

25. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're the most fun to watch right now. I think Portland's season ended the day they canned Spenny. Not that I thought he was gonna lead them anywhere, but they were totally rudderless afterward.

I keep hoping that the Rapids will make a move to give me some hope for next season. They've created the space well enough, hopefully they'll fill it with something positive. Maybe an exciting forward will show up under the Rapids Christmas Tree.

22SteveD repped this.