The new improved NRR thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by 22SteveD, Feb 3, 2012.

1. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to a baseball game my one time there, they consider cheering during play as un sportsman like or something, it's like tennis.

Glad to see soccer is different.

2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Never been to a baseball game in Japan, but I'd always heard about their supporter sections:

The way other countries do baseball is partly why I laugh when people argue as if it's not soccer unless there's a large and loud supporter section, as if it's part of the laws of the game. (Saying it's a great idea/fun, etc. is of course no problem.) Other cultures seem to have no problem adopting our sports and rooting the way they see fit.

4. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to find one where the guys hold up the white paddles and everything goes quiet during play.

5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  6. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the worst parts about the Beckham machine is that it made the casual fan think he was the best free kick taker in the world during the early 2000s. Beckham was good, but Juninho was ridiculous. I remember during Lyon's multi-year run I would always hope that ESPN would choose to show their Champions League games partly because I wanted to see him (along with Essien, Abidal, Malouda, Kallstrom, Benzema) I don't know where to look up the statistic, but I remember during one of their games they mentioned that it wasn't just that the ones that went in were so incredible, but also the number of free kicks that were on target. His percentage on frame was significantly higher than others and that led to an increase in second chance opportunities and corners. He was also pretty handy in midfield, but unfortunately wasn't good enough to ever become a regular starter for Brazil, so couple that with playing for Lyon during his prime, his exploits aren't as well remembered as they should be.

With all of that said, I think this would be New York's Edu if they bring him in. He is 37, and will turn 38 in January. Unless he has kept himself incredibly fit, I bet he would basically just be a traffic cone in the middle of the park waiting for free kicks. Of course Henry will happily oblige to fall down all over the place hoping to get those free kicks.

7. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dang it Jason, I hate when you're right. I spoke to my freind who was at the game. He said the Galaxy fans were pretty quiet in the first half but got into it during the second.

Jasonma repped this.
  8. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Which could account for one. But there's 5 "sports destinations" as part of that map.

I'm seriously wondering if any of those is a proposal for another stadium/arena/practice facility. None are larger enough to be a major outdoor sport, but maybe something like tennis or indoor soccer.

9. FC Denver

FC Denver Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Denver
    Awesome

10. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Another soccer championship decided by playoff (LigaMX):
    Show Spoiler
    Tijuana won by a 4-1 aggregate score, beating Toluca 2-0 in Toluca in the 2nd leg. Tijuana was just promoted for the 2011-12 season. Cue the MLS website and their story about Castillo and Corona. (Garza didn't play.)

11. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting comment from LA FO
    "Look, if Wayne Rooney wants to come, we'll make an exception," AEG chief Tim Leiweke said. "But the reality for us right now, our thinking, is … iconic players that have a special relationship with the Hispanic community."

12. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a real herd mentality infecting MLS these days.

I'd prefer teams not worry so much about using players to target market segments, and focus more on players to win games.

13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Rapids as a team might be losing money, but Kroenke as 1/19th owner of MLS shouldn't be if these numbers are true.

From Ives Live today:
    1:42
    [​IMG]
    [Comment From Giggsy Giggsy: ]
    you mentioned asking garber about a higher cap ... the league's revenues are at least $360M (17M per team [per 2011 SportsMoney adjusted for +2years) + 30M Nat TV) but the total salary for 2012 was 92M (all players guar comp per MLSPA) + 25% for benefits = $115M which means the league is spending less than 33% of revenue on player costs ... how does this 10 year plan succeed with such low spending on player costs?

1:43 What isn't included in your stats is the fact the league bled money for more than a decade. I think it's safe to say MLS investors have earned a chance to get some return in their investment.

15. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea where support is but here you go.

Tweet by Jeremiah Oshan
    So this is kinda news: I've been told the DP cap hit will go up to $367,000 in 2013. Turns out my assumption was right!

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed on the Dick's site that it will host the world championships of lacrosse in July of 2014. So we can assume we're going on a couple game road trip when play restarts after the World Cup break.

The WC is June 12th- July 13th, lacrosse is July 10th-19th. My be is that MLS will take most of June off and re-start the league with the 4th of July games, with another set of games on the 12th. The Rapids would host their annual 4th of July matchup, then be on the road for the 12th and 19th.

17. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Who else in the world plays lacrosse? Just curious.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the website:

Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Bermuda
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    China
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    England
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Guatemala
    Haudenosaunee
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Ireland
    Iroquois
    Israel
    Italy
    Japan
    Latvia
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Peru
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russia
    Scotland
    Serbia
    Slovakia
    Slovania
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Thailand
    Turkey
    Uganda
    United States
    Wales

19. Hunt998

Hunt998 Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe a better question would be, who else in the world is any good at lacrosse? No disrespect to the sport, I just didn't realize it had enough global presence to justify a world cup. Maybe that's just my own ignorance of all things lacrosse.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every World Cup in Wikipedia has had the same 4 semi-finalists. USA, Canada, Australia, and the Iroquois Nation. The only exception were the England 2010 games, where a visa dispute between the Iroquois Nation (wanting to travel on their own passports) and the English government (wanting them to travel on American passports) prevented the Iroquois from getting to England until it was too late and they had to drop out. Japan made the semis in their place. England is also considered to be one of the better teams.

21. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the national sport of Canada.

But then, jousting is the state sport of Maryland, and I don't think there's that many jousters there anymore.

22. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only teams that got a real shot at it are the US, Canada, and the Iroquois. After that its a major talent drop-off.

And as far as that passport thing goes, I think the American Iroquois have to use American passports no matter what, but the Canadian Iroquois have their own passports, because they're considered a nation within a nation so to speak, and are subject to their own laws and not Canadian law. This causes some big problems for governments, particularly when you need security clearance for things, I'm not at all surprised it would cause problems traveling abroad.

FWIW, I'm the son of a Canadian Mohawk, and the Iroquois will win.:)

23. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    Wait, not hockey? Hockey must be the national religion, then. Or just a way of life.

24. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was curling.

25. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012