Alert: The new honey on Fox Soccer Report makes my ears bleed

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ElJefe, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    very nice, but on the hitlist last night were Rennes, Juve's Nicola Legrottaglie, Bordeaux's Jaroslav Plasil, and Real Madrid's Gonzalo Higuain

2. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Hitlist"---I like it! :)

Maybe she's just doing her part to make us all more culturally aware----and what a wonderful job she's doing! :D

3. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    She does. Can we please have a break from your self-righteous "corrections"?

4. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Lets not start this again. She does not pronounce it like the natives. And she is Italian. And thats all I am going to say on this matter. I am getting tired of this redundant argument with you.

Find someone else to bore on BigSoccer with your "self-righteous," "eurosnob" and "fashionista" arguments. Maybe they will not see the stupidity in it.

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure I know how to pronounce Milan anymore :) but I'm pretty sure Cagliari doesn't use a hard "g"

it kinda reminds me of an SNL skit where the news anchors would intentionally pronounce the names of hispanics in crazy accents. i say pick one accent to use, get the names right, and go with it. If you're going to say "dah-VEED san-TOHN" for David Santon then don't say "MIH-lih-toh" and "SAM-yool" for Milito and Samuel.

6. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ^ definitely agree.

7. cachundo

cachundo Marketa Davidova. Unicorn. World Champion

GO STANFORD!
    Feb 8, 2002
    Genesis 16:12...He shall be a wild ass among men
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Terri Leigh, I'll cook for you on Valentine's. Please PM me if you're interested. ;)

Going back to the new honey, I still cringe when she butchers names. It seems that when women butcher the pronunciation, people jsut shrug and kinda accept that they're eye candy.

OTOH, when Bobby McMahon consistently mispronounces Eto'o, hardly anyone notices because he's good at analyzing games and just about anything else. Go figure.

8. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish she'd explain what a spot kick is. however, the more i listen to her, the more obvious it is that she just has a way over the top canuck accent. she'd be great for hockey. soccer/footy not so much. can we just get temryss on there please?

9. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Other anchors on the FSC also use the term "spot kick" regularly. So I think we can blame that one on the guy writing the script on the teleprompter.

10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Her biggest sin is that she doesn't pronounce an English name like Italians pronounce that English name?

11. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oy Vey.

Please, sir, read the previous argument. All I said was that she pronounced Milan a little funny and somehow got dragged into some argument about fashionista, eurosnobby, self-rightousness.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's all about the diph.....thong:D Okay here's the choice you have, listen to her or Sarah Palin?

13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ha - as long as Palin didn't say something like "I can see the Sans-EYE-row from my house" I'd say bring it on! She can slap some lipstick on the FSR and talk smack about the grandma-killing 4-letter network. Even if not, she works for Fox now. Hell, I'm sure they can get her for a segment or two about the USMNT and how we're gonna kick the world's asses in South Africa. She can even write the names of the starting 11 on her hand.

14. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL. She said "Sans-EYE-row"?! Thats effing hilarious.

But I will still take her over Palin. I prefer mispronunciation over complete idiocy.

15. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    That's a British-ism.

What diphthong?

16. enderzero

enderzero New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She's bad and she's gotta go. I mean Nabil was bad and he's pretty much gone. DT isn't great but he is passable. But Lara's over inflated enthusiasm and awkward diction make her by far the worst - even if you excuse her mispronunciation (Higuain as Hig-yoo-ay-in and derby as duhr-bee are especially bad).

17. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC

agree. how exactly did she get this job? it reflects pretty poorly of FSC. i wish i could get a job that i was totally unqualified for. either shes related to one of the owners or she blows the producer. or maybe they want the FSR to come off as amatuer as possible.

18. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Give Lara a chance. I'm sure she'll get better. They all made lots of mistakes when they were starting. She needs to relax a little and get comfortable in the new job.

19. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    How very gentlemanly of you.

It helps to be an attractive woman. She had community TV experience.

Did you send them an audition tape?

20. Onyewu Power Station

Jul 5, 2009
    Club:
    Everton FC
    ya. i guess i must have found a way to butcher Agbonlahor's name worse than she did.

21. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Maybe she's just prettier than you are. I wouldn't be surprised if the producer who made the hiring decision didn't know much about soccer and considered knowledge of the sport secondary.

22. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nonono she didn't, but I could see Palin doing that - and worse. And maybe shooting someone from a helicoptor.

23. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ah.. Well then, never mind. A little tricky to catch sarcasm on print. But if we are going to be comparing people to Palin, then I would even pick to watch Tommy Smyth with a "y" over Palin.

And I DESPISE Tommy Smyth and his "bulges the ol' onion bag" comments.

Roy Hudson on the other hand needs to move from GolTV to FSC. He is all kinds of awesome. I was watching the Madrid game the other day and he had this to say for the Higuain goal: "The finish was cooler than Jimmy Hendrix at Woodstock."

That's genius.

24. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I kind of agree with both of you. It could just be newbie kinks that she will work out. But it is frustrating to watch when 80% of the viewers are more knowledgeable than she seems to be.

I doubt that very much. :cool: :p

25. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you thought of running for Congress? You'd have lots of company.