Alert: The new honey on Fox Soccer Report makes my ears bleed

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by ElJefe, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Eurosnobs?!

1. I live in Chicago.
    2. I was not born nor have spent longer than a week in Europe.
    3. Just because someone says Milan rhyming with can does not make it right. It is also not I-raq or I-ran. Just because 80% of the morons on the news pronounce it that way, does not make it right.

I am just tired of people mis-pronouncing names and then claiming that they are not wrong. A name is a name and the way it is supposed to be pronounced is the way it is supposed to be pronounced. I also get annoyed when people say Indiana-polis instead of Indian-apolis. I am not a Eurosnob. I am a learn-how-to-pronounce-the-name-the-way-it-is-supposed-to-be-pronounced snob.

2. bluewolverine

bluewolverine Member

Jun 20, 2007

FYP.

I'll give ya an example. Here in Michigan we have a small town, also named Milan... except the locals pronounce it MY-lin. I've lived here 25 years now and it STILL friggin' hurts my ears every time.

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok so just wondering - should we then pronounce Milan like the Italians do since it's an Italian city? Same for Seville, Bucharest, Moacow, and Salonika.

Personally I think pronouncing it Muh-LAHN is akin to saying Inter Milan and Bayern Munich. Or even Man Yoo. You can do it, but expect the reprecussions from the pronunciationistas.

4. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey, if you choose to pronounce it as the natives, more power to you. But at least use the proper English translation of the word. Not some bastardized version of it.

For example, Iraq and Iran. There is absolutely no reason to call it I-raq and I-ran. The entire world knows that they are Iraq and Iran. While you may not pronounce it as the natives, use the most accepted version of the word around the world. It goes for Munich, Milan, Bucharest, Iraq, Iran and whatever other country/city you can think of. If you say Internazionale thats great. But Inter Milan is a widely accepted English version of the name of the club. Mee-Lahn may be the way the natives say it, but Mi-Lahn is also the widely accepted English version. Mi-Lan rhyming with "can" is wrong.

If someone was incapable of saying Mee-Lahn, because of certain language issues, its one thing. But most languages don't have any issues with that word. For example, arabs can't say Pepsi, they say Bebsi, because there is no P in arabic.

But that is not the case here. I-raq, I-ran, Mi-lan are all mispronounced.

And what I don't understand is that why should it not be made a big deal!? If you constantly mispronounced my name, I would sure as hell be annoyed. Its not that complicated. Figure out the right and accepted way to say it. And say it.

5. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    No it's not. Check a dictionary.
    Mi-Lahn is acceptable, but it is a secondary usage, used mostly by Eurosnobs and fashionistas.

6. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes. And the news guys also say I-raq and I-ran. Does not make it right.

So it seems that everyone in the rest of the world and about 80% of America are Eurosnobs and fashionistas. Because so far, she is one of the few people I have heard pronounce it that way in the past 5 years I have been here. I also find it hilarious that your original argument seemed to be annoyed by some judgement passed down by "eurosnobs." All the while calling anyone who disagrees with your opinion "eurosnobs" and "fashionistas." Rather hypocritical, no?

7. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    I'm generally only annoyed by the self-righteous when they are wrong, but I'm glad I brought some fun to your day.

I doubt 80% of America pronounces Milan they way you do, but even if they did, that wouldn't make the other 20% wrong.

Check out this classic rhyme:

I'm too sexy for Milan
    too sexy for Milan
    New York and Japan.

Right Said Fred couldn't be more right.

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if it's not the native pronunciation it's all mispronounced no matter what is accepted. Who is to accept it if not the residents of the city/country. It's accepted to say Inter Milan because we in the english speaking world decided it so. It's still wrong no matter what is accepted. Hell, Eye-Rak is probably accepted even though it's wrong.

My point is - no matter what is accepted or not, it's shouldn't be our place to adjudicate on the most proper wrong pronunciation. Tallest Midget Syndrome. (pun intended)

9. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on the tally board tonight: Inter's Manchini and Celtic's Tony Mau-bray

also Leixoes - but that's a tough one and she got close. Degree of difficulty :)

10. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, I try to say it the native way, if I am aware of it, and I can pronounce it. Eye-raq and eye-ran, really boils my blood. It makes absolute zero sense and there is no reason to mispronounce the name when you can just as easily correctly pronounce it.

Milan on the other hand, is not really as big a deal. And like I said earlier, it was kind of a pointless argument. I honestly, think of the entire pronunciation game in the following way: Do the natives get annoyed by the way you pronounce their city/country name? Obviously, I don't know the answer to that question for every city or country. But it is a learning process and if I am corrected, I am corrected only once. One of the main reasons why mispronunciations of the names bother me is because my own name is not American. I have heard it pronounced a million different ways. Some are acceptable to me, others are not. I don't mind correcting you, but if you keep using some bastardized version of my name, I am most likely going to get annoyed.

Nevertheless, if you are on a show talking about football, least you can do is start pronouncing the names right. Whether its club names or player names.

I do kind of disagree with your tallest midget argument, however. Ideally, you would pronounce it the right way, but if you are not going to/not aware/can't pronounce, use the lesser wrong version. Which would be the widely accepted version.

11. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Isn't Mancini kind of tricky too? I think the Italian pronunciation of Mancini (as in Roberto Mancini) is Manchini. Italian speakers please correct me if I'm wrong.

12. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It is Manchini as far as I am aware. But Man-see-ni has been used quite often by the FSC guys. Funny thing is, for the right pronunciations, all they would have to do is turn on the sound during a serie a game. The commentator gets them right, usually.

13. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right, but this Mancini (the player - ex of Roma) is Brazillian. Same deal with Lucio.

I guess I should have specified the player, how quickly I forget that old Scarfy was there 2 years ago.

14. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and where I think the parallel breaks down is that you are the single authority on how your name is said.

and I don't know that there is a right way other than the native way. everything else is a compromise with different authoritative bodies having different arguments of which is correct. Holland vs The Netherlands is another one. or the somewhat silent g in Afghanistan.

I dunno, this is just how I feel when I hear people refer to Seville in a country where none of the dialects call it Seville. Or those who still say "Bombay" or "Burma" or even "Zaire"

15. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hah. I totally still say Bombay and Burma.

16. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony of all this discussion about the correct pronunciation about the pronunciation of "Milan," is that AC Milan used the English name of the city when it was founded instead of Milano.

BTW, if you're wanting to be ultra-correct about the names of cities and clubs, it's not "Bayern Munich," but "Bayern München," since that's the German name of the city.

It's also Wien, not Vienna, and Nürnberg, not Nuremberg.

17. Rivaldinho

Rivaldinho Member

Jan 26, 2003
    Sure, but even FC Bayern uses "Bayern Munich" on their official English web site.

18. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do I. I also use "Munich," "Vienna," "Rome," "Turin," "Seville," "Warsaw," and "Moscow" when I'm speaking English, instead of the names used by the natives. Similarly, if a Spaniard wants to call London "Londres" or a Frenchman wants to call the capital of Poland "Varsovie" when speaking their own languages, I don't object.

But if some people want to get dogmatic about using "Torino" instead of "Turin" or "Sevilla" instead of "Seville," then they should be aware of these things.

19. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well, it was founded by an Englishman, after all.

20. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    On a lighter note, there used to be a US sports radio host who would intentionally mispronounce teem and player names during his show and it was actually quite entertaining - Wake Forest has always been 'Wacky' Forest to me ever since:D

21. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely not the same guy who would say "Jimmy Bo-heem" or "Mike Kree-zoo-ski" or "Landon Chastadonnaham" :)

22. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always good to know, I'd say. Thanks to this I just learned about Warsaw (Var-sha-va). And I doubt if anyone will expect you to say Roma or Torino or

But back to the player names and Ms. Baldasera. I'm starting to think it's less about knowing the right pronunciation and more just a tortured reading of the script. Somewhat like Carlos Machado and Nabil Karim. The other FSR-ites seem much smoother in their reading, not needing to stop and start over or anything. I noticed tonight she mangled Diomansy Kamara's name once - calling him Karama. Maybe she was used to filing reports and/or working without a script in the past. I believe even though the Report may not be live, it's shot as live.

Not an easy job, I know. I'd probably mangle a few lines If I were reading that prompter and trying to force a smile and listening to the director in my ear and trying to stay calm and keep that makeup from forming a river of sweat running down my cheeks. That's why I come here and bitch instead :)

23. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    She might get better as she gets more practice. Or at least I hope!

24. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Last night:
    River Plate became River Pla-te. Said it that way more than once. :D

25. ovalball

ovalball New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaufort, NC,
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least she's keeping you guys occupied and out of trouble. Thumbs up!